Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Head Protection

To be honest, I haven't really given head protection any thought. I guess it should be part of my emergency clean up equipment (aka, chainsaw) but doubt I'll concern myself about it for ballistic protection. I've already got a few work issued hard hats laying around (almost never visit active construction sites so I never wear them) and wore a helmet in the Army and have the neck pains to prove it so no desire to do that again.

I have issues with most helmets, primarily they dont mak any off the shelf in my size. I am very serious when I say that I am just below the point of being medically classified a giant. I do wear glasses however. and one ting I make sure of is that every pair I own is rated to exceed ansi specs. It drives the optometrist up a wall, but I hate having to change glasses or put on plastic safety goggles.

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    I've never been much on wearing anything on my head, but I do have hats. I used to do CAS shooting, and still have several western-style hats. For military style hats, my favorite is the boonie hat, and I have them in most patterns and colors, even a Multicam waterproof one. I do have some baseball style caps.
    Don't have any helmets.
    I must wear glasses all the time, and do have a set of sports goggles in my prescription.

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Quote Originally Posted by dragon5126 View Post
    I have issues with most helmets, primarily they dont mak any off the shelf in my size. I am very serious when I say that I am just below the point of being medically classified a giant. I do wear glasses however. and one ting I make sure of is that every pair I own is rated to exceed ansi specs. It drives the optometrist up a wall, but I hate having to change glasses or put on plastic safety goggles.
    We had a guy in our platoon that was in a very similarly "sized" situation as you. Kid's noggin was the size of a basketball. They were finally able to put him into an X-large ACH helmet. But in order to get him into the pot, they had to take the pads out, cut them open, cut the foam in half, sew the pads back up, and replace them into the helmet. It worked. Maybe you should look into something similar.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Thanks Izz, sounds like a plan!

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

no problem. (hands on hip, cape billowing in the wind, superhero voice) It's why I'm here.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Crotch Rocket

I've got a hard hat and my DOT approved motorcycle helmet for now. Something I'm considering though is a PT Helmets A- Alpha Half Shell.

Its got cut outs to accept ear pro/ comms, can be set up for use with NVG's (on my long term dream sheet), has rails and apparently a light option, is paintable out of the box, and can have velcro backing attached for patches. Its only one pound, so would be acceptable to me and not look out of place while I'm bicycling or learning how to rollerblade.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

MI, I like the bicycle one. I would only pick one up for the occasional head bump. Besides, you take one upstairs and your helmet won't change to much of the outcome.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

Crotch Rocket

That's where my thoughts lie now. I don't get shot at enough to require a ballistic helmet, but I have been known to lose my brakes while mountain biking - or trip myself up getting used to the skates I bought. I'm getting to a point I'd much rather have as little dedicated fighting gear as possible. Multi-purpose is the way to go in my view.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!