Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Head Protection

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Head Protection

What sort of head protection to you have for various SHTF events?

I'm not only talking about Red Dawn/Mad Max scenarios but garden variety events like going outside in a heavy windstorm or the like.

Does your head protection include some sort of built in eye protection/shield?

Have you spent any serious time wearing it to see how it fits/wears over a long hot day?

I have a surplus ACH helmet I found at an army/navy store. I upgraded the suspension harness to a more robust X-harness but have left the nasty dirty ACU cover on it. While I generally hate ACU it's so dirty and faded it actually works.

I have not worn it much but am taking a carbine 1 class in July and am seriously considering wearing it for the class.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

I've got an OPS Core FAST Carbon helmet for when I think spped and mobility are better than ballistic protection. I also have my MICH helmet, painted tan for the hard core stuff. gotta love the MICH. I spent 4 years wearing the MICH, so I'm used to wearing it in almost all weather conditions.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

The source of all known trouble in the universe

I have a full ballistic military helmet. I don't know why I bought it as I never wore one in combat before.

I'll most likely shit myself

I have nothing at all in this area. I guess never having been in the military I never gave it any thought.

coffee can & a bungee cord

NVG....totally a work deduction!

I have a MICH helmet for tactical type uses, a motorcycle helmet... for riding a motorcycle, and a hardhat for construction.

I wear Wiley XL-1 sunglasses on a daily basis, and have additional lenses in clear and light-adjusting for situations where sunglasses are not appropriate. I have some more heavy duty ballistic googles if warranted, but the Wileys are supposed to be V50 rates like many of the heavy googles.

Premium Member

Several broad brimmed hats for general wear, a couple of hard hats with ear protection, several sets of goggles for eye protection. No military helmets. Yet.

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

I have never been a big wearer of any hats/helmets (other than military) but....I think that if something kicked off I might keep my hair cut short on a regular basis for weather/medical/hygiene reasons. If that happened I would look to wearing something then for sure.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry D Young View Post
    Several broad brimmed hats for general wear, a couple of hard hats with ear protection, several sets of goggles for eye protection. No military helmets. Yet.
    I had forgotten that I have a hard hat for work. I can use that for events where general noggin protection is needed, but a full-blown ACH helmet would be odd.

Thanks.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

I'll most likely shit myself

I wasn't thinking about stuff other than helments. I have a straw hat for sun protestion when working in theyard/garden. A nice crusher hat for when in public for sun protection.
    Hard hat for construction demo type stuff. Multiple hearing/eye protection around house, in the shop, and vehicles.
    One thing that's been mentioned that I need to get is some good ballistic googles. I used to have some when I raced dirt bikes and they do a great job. Hadn't given those much thought in years.