Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Deterring Burglers

Do you have a robot?
    Dogs, big dogs, big dogs that don't like people.......they think we taste like chicken.......

Bacon Spam

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
    Remember if you have an attached garage to always lock the door from the garage to the house, preferably with a deadbolt. My mom was leaving her's unlocked until i pointed out that people drive around neighborhoods with garage door openers hoping to get lucky.
    in my garage the bad guy would have his choice of tools to pry open the door or simply cut around the lock , I'd rather leave it open/unlocked and not have to replace it as well as deal with the burglary

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

I like big dogs. Have 3 right now, well one big one and two 4 month olds that already weigh 45lbs.

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnerMax View Post
    For me, it is going to be a sign on the front door that says something of the like:

You never know when I am home. When you try to hurt me, my wife, or my daughter I will have no restraint in protecting them. You will not hear the shotgun rack a round, as it is always loaded, and I have plenty of ammo. My wife likes hollowpoint ammunition and we both go shooting every week. We do not shoot to wound.

that, of course, is pending my wife's approval, which means a 0% chance of it getting posted.
    That's kinda like the pawn shop owner whose sign out front said "I sleep here 3 nights a week with my dog and my shotgun, is this your lucky night". Obviously, a sign of this nature can IMHO, cause a determined burglar to just make sure he's armed, and brings the whole gang along, so in the interest of OPSEC, and making sure the bad guys have nothing to fear in advance of their attempt, I wouldn't be inclined in pre-shtf world to post a warning. The other issue would be the one of a prosecutor establishing premeditation in the case of you actually shooting an intruder. Obviously, becoming a victim of a crime, and defending yourself, is never your own fault because a criminal has to make the decision to act on the urge to steal, or harm you, but slime bag prosecutors, (one of them did it to me) don't get professional accolades for all of the innocent citizens they didn't charge! So... in the interest of not being the next George Zimmerman, a good defense, and unknown threat level that a criminal may face, is MY best defense.

Rape victims shouldn't be accused of "asking for it" by wearing sexy clothes, or acting in a certain way, but there are plenty of rapists that justified their actions with just such an argument, so I prefer not to "ask for it" and just prepare to " take care of it"
    Last edited by ak474u; 05-06-2012 at 06:49 PM.
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.

Might send you the Swedish Vacu-pump 2000 when you've already said it's not your bag
    And make DAMNED sure that there is only 1 story to tell when all is said and done!