Thread: Its that time of year again - Spring FTX scheduled for next month

Crotch Rocket

Its that time of year again - Spring FTX scheduled for next month

The title pretty much says it all. The seasons have changed, and with that the conditions we could be exposed to, so... off I go to expose myself again!

I plan on going out the 5th, but that's as fas as my planning's gone. Depending on what I do I could conceivably stay out a total of 5 days

Any requests or ideas?
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

the mini hacksaw knife!
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Crotch Rocket

Of course! I haven't forgotten that one. I use it too much for that. It is definitely deserving of a good field test and review.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Folks please please please please please avail yourself of the opportunity MI provides us. He does a top flight job of documenting his trips into the woods and the experiments he undertakes while out there. He then goes the extra mile to post the AAR and pictures for all of us to enjoy and learn from.

He is a valuable resource (for many reasons) so don't be shy about asking for him to try something out for you!
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Quote Originally Posted by mitunnelrat View Post
    Any requests or ideas?
    Might be interesting if you use a water filter to generate all of your drinking water.

In other words, don't take any with you and use only naturally available sources, filter, fill your containers, etc.

It would be interesting (to me) to see how easy it is to find water, the energy needed to filter it, the time it takes to filter, etc etc.

Just a thought.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

Crotch Rocket

That's actually a very good thought! I was already considering something similar for food. Foraging/ hunting/ trapping/ fishing. However it goes.

The dates might change though, to accommodate something brand new and awesome to my forays!
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Thunder Lizard Canning Club Chapter of the Old Farts Society

MITR, you might want to try the foraging route. This time of year you could probably find morel mushrooms, chicken-of-the-woods mushrooms,watercress, stinging nettles (they make great greens, but handle with a pair of gloves) cattail shoots and roots, dandelion, plantain, trout in the streams where you would find the watercress and possibly mudbugs (crawfish). If it is legal, you could also set snares for squirrels like this guy.

Squirrel Snaring
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me Liberty or give me death." Patrick Henry, Virginia House of Burgesses, March 23, 1775

Quo Vadis?

Luke 22:36, And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

emergencyfoodssupplies.com

Crotch Rocket

Thanks Grumpy, that's what I needed to figure out for this time of year, what had thawed out and started growing already!

I really do need to do more skills work than gear testing I think. I know I didn't manage to stay out overnight on my last trip, but it did show me I can stay warm and dry with minimal kit, if needed.

Now I need to learn how to keep myself fed and hydrated through natural sources.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!