Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New General Purpose Rig

Claptrap's Problem Solver

New General Purpose Rig

Alternate thread title: you know you have too much tactical nylon when.....

So I was digging through the plastic tub of extra pouches, chest rigs, bags, etc when I suddenly realized that with one purchase I could put together an entirely new rig without breaking a sweat.

So with the purchase of a Tactical Tailor X harness to add to MAV chest rig I had laying around the project started. The goal was to build an "all purpose" chest rig that could be used for recreational hiking, search & rescue activities (am looking to get involved in this in my area) or other associated activities.

Here's what I came up with:

Left to right it's a Maxpedition pouch, Marz combat medic pouch and a Blackhawk utility pouch. Above the Blackhawk pouch is a Tactical Tailor compass/general purpose pouch on the harness strap.

On the backside I attached a generic Blackhawk hydration bladder carrier. I'm going to replace the bladder insert and mouthpiece however.

Here's how it looks when worn:

Like I said this is a general purpose rig, however, those with an attention to detail may notice the tops of 3 PMAGs poking out of the Marz pouch. I had recently removed this pouch from my war belt and just handn't removed the mags yet. In real usage those slots would be dedicated to radios, GPS units, etc.

As you can see there is still plenty of realestate left for additional pouches on the MAV. There's the same amount of space shown on my left side on the right. Not sure what I'll put there (lord knows I have plenty of pouches left to use!) but I think I'll try the rig out as-is a few times first, then see if additions are needed.

Overall it was just kind of a fun project that I thought might be interesting to share with everybody.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

To continue the theme, I also picked up a Grey Ghost Outlet lightweight assault pack.

The additional pouches, once again, were just laying around unused so I tossed them on the expansive molle to add capacity to the pack. If I do get involved with local SAR I'd use this pack in conjunction with the general purpose rig (I think.....right now I don't know what I don't know).

It's a neat little pack and can be worn traditionally or set up to attach to the back of a plate carrier other chest rig.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

I'll most likely shit myself

Pretty good lookin harness. I've been lookin at a new harness set up. I need to look at that one more closely. Right now I have a old surplus Y harness from the Nam era. I'd really like to upgrade for my main rig, plus I'd like to have a rig for each weapon. I've backpacked so long a harness just feels more comfortable to me than a vest does. I probably need to rethink that, but a good harness can be set up to do a lot of things.

Nice! I've largely gone to chest rigs, but TT makes great gear, and I know a lot of people have used this rig with great success.

Has been known to provide fake cat info
    I really like my MAV & X-Harness. Very comfortable. Mostly only keep mags on it, but the next time I go hiking I'll try putting more of my gear on there.

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

I ran a Mav for a long time. I like them
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Thunder Lizard Canning Club Chapter of the Old Farts Society

I am so hopelessly behind the times and you young bucks. I don't even have a chest rig, or worse yet, a desire to get one. It does look good though Stig. BTW, you all have too much hair on your heads,lol.
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me Liberty or give me death." Patrick Henry, Virginia House of Burgesses, March 23, 1775

Quo Vadis?

Luke 22:36, And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

emergencyfoodssupplies.com

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
    I am so hopelessly behind the times and you young bucks. I don't even have a chest rig, or worse yet, a desire to get one.
    I would trade nearly every one of my trinkets for your experience and wisdom.

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
    I am so hopelessly behind the times and you young bucks. I don't even have a chest rig, or worse yet, a desire to get one...
    You've made it this far without one, so I wouldn't worry.

You'd probably have enough sense not to need one.

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    I would trade nearly every one of my trinkets for your experience and wisdom.

Quote Originally Posted by Kutter-0311 View Post
    You've made it this far without one, so I wouldn't worry.

You'd probably have enough sense not to need one.
    here! here!
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.