Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cashless Society

Where's the epi?

It's actually very easy it you think about it. Most people no longer get a paper pay check. It's direct deposit...they never see it. A lot of people do online banking, they don't write checks or take cash to the merchent to pay (most of us use credit or debit cards at the grocery or WalMart), once again...no cash. Many mortgage companies will give you a discount on your interest rate if you will have an automatic withdraw from your account so you never send any money in. We were just notified by TriCare that they will no longer accept checks for premiums, it must be by automatic withdraw or credit card. Anything you buy online is credit card/paypal so again no cash. Our country has been slowly going cashless but we have become programmed to that fact and don't even think about it much. Every store in the U.S. takes our debit/credit cards now. How many of you actually carry the bulk of your money in cash? Everyone I know uses debit cards and has direct deposit so the need for actual cash unless you are traveling is about nil. We keep cash because we are of a different mindset and not sheeple...most of our country is not the same way.
    I apologize for nothing...

Crotch Rocket

I actually do carry the bulk of my money in cash, now at least. I never used to, and because I didn't physically see the balance depleting I regularly overspent.

That effect alone of cash - seeing it go - is well worth it to me. I spend less. Conversely, I wonder if the paper associated with debit cards - receipts - feeds another psychological appetite - the desire to have things. "I'm doing good, I'm able to get stuff" kind of thing
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Watch one, Do one, Teach one

Walking on Sunshine

Know what you mean BP, When we opened Pop's safe he had over 16K in paper money and about 1k in coins sitting there.

Has been known to look at Izzy's trunk. Stares at the junk in Izzy's trunk. Get it...he's checking out Izzy's trunk.

Its inevitable that within the next 50 yrs we will live in a paperless society. Think about how much has changed in the last 50 yrs and try to wrap your head around what society will be like in another 50.
    “The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.” ~ G.K. Chesterton

So if all the money can only be accessed from one bank account to another...what are you going to do?

No cash means no cash. You don't get a paycheck in cash. You don't write a check for cash. You can't withdraw cash from any account. You can not pay in cash.

All transactions are from one account to another. You go shopping the store takes your money from your account and deposits it in their account.

Your paycheck is direct deposit. They won't even need cash registers..no need for cash change...

It's not hard to understand. You can't make money under the table. Criminals can't counterfit money. You can't buy or sell drugs..

You can't use gold & silver...just electronic money...from one account to another.

Currently only 3% of our money is actual cash.

If nobody accepts gold or silver because you have to show an electronic transfer because all of your inventory is on a computer and so is the bank account..

What good will gold & silver be?

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Quote Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
    Are you suggesting people avoid gold/silver because of one scenario that could result in it losing it's value?
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

Resident Seafood Procurement Officer

I pay cash for everything except my cell bill and gas to go to the camp and back. I never use my debit card unless there is an emergency, and there never has been yet. Guess I am a paranoid old fool. My kids will use their card at frigging Mickie Ds.

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

Quote Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
    So if all the money can only be accessed from one bank account to another...what are you going to do?

No cash means no cash. You don't get a paycheck in cash. You don't write a check for cash. You can't withdraw cash from any account. You can not pay in cash.

All transactions are from one account to another. You go shopping the store takes your money from your account and deposits it in their account.

Your paycheck is direct deposit. They won't even need cash registers..no need for cash change...

It's not hard to understand. You can't make money under the table. Criminals can't counterfit money. You can't buy or sell drugs..

You can't use gold & silver...just electronic money...from one account to another.

Currently only 3% of our money is actual cash.

If nobody accepts gold or silver because you have to show an electronic transfer because all of your inventory is on a computer and so is the bank account..

Why does it matter if there is cash or not. If you want to buy something and a store pulls $$$ from one account to another...who cares. You still made your purchase. We can have a cashless society and still function. It's when we don't have the economy for the cash that's going to put a hurting on everyone. We can always have a barter system, a cashless society doesn't spell disaster.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

Quote Originally Posted by LUNCHBOX View Post
    Why does it matter if there is cash or not. If you want to buy something and a store pulls $$$ from one account to another...who cares. You still made your purchase. We can have a cashless society and still function. It's when we don't have the economy for the cash that's going to put a hurting on everyone. We can always have a barter system, a cashless society doesn't spell disaster.
    Because with a cashless system you have no control over your money. If I am holding my cash I can control it, but if it is just numbers on a screen anyone can control it. If someone wants they can also control where you spend it.