Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cashless Society

Cashless Society

Think about this...if the US goes cashless....will we be able to use gold & silver to buy stuff and pay bills?

Think about it don't just reply with a smart ass answer..

What if the answer is no? If everything is required to be electronic or on paper....and there is nothing to give anyone any change...

Wouldn't the same thing apply with any money you have stashed away? If it becomes illegal to use the money we currently know...It's all worthless instantly. If transactions in gold & silver become illegal...what are you going to do?

Thunder Lizard Canning Club Chapter of the Old Farts Society

Underground economy. This is what happened in the Balkans during the civil wars over there. Goods and services replaced cash as the "currency". If everything is cashless and we have to use cards to purchase, etc, then a black market (underground economy) will emerge.
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me Liberty or give me death." Patrick Henry, Virginia House of Burgesses, March 23, 1775

Quo Vadis?

Luke 22:36, And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

emergencyfoodssupplies.com

Crotch Rocket

Cashless Society

Quote Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
    If it becomes illegal to use the money we currently know...

If transactions in gold & silver become illegal...what are you going to do?
    I'm with Grumpy, I think we'd see an underground economy grow and prosper. I'm also pretty sure we'd see more direct barter of goods between individuals.

Now, as for this...
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
    Think about it don't just reply with a smart ass answer..
    I'll follow the "if" vein from above:

If your aunt had balls, she'd be your uncle.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

A laugh a minute
    barter system as been and always will be a way to get what you need. No matter what the government does to control us, they can,t stop that.

I'll most likely shit myself

I'm in agreement with Grumpy, MIT, and Taz. Barter is the way to go. Either item for item or labor for item. I bet there is a lot more of that going on right now than most people think.

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Yea, is a cashless society possible. Sure? Maybe in 50 years we might get there.

But in short term, if someone waived a magic wand, and all money went poof, there's always going to be a barter system of some sort.

That opens the door for using silver/gold to barter.

Right now I can't use silver/gold to pay my bills anyway.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post

Right now I can't use silver/gold to pay my bills anyway.
    ^^bingo.

right now, as a currency, precious metals are useless. But..............

As an investment, pretty smart.

Last time I checked, walmart didn't take silver dollars.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

For the Love of Cats

I don't get it!

How could you go cashless? The rest of the world operates on a monetary system, if the US doesn't, what is that going to do for imports/exports?

If it is just a matter that your dollar is severely devalued to the point of worthlessness, it will still have a value, just diminished.

Illegal to use money? huh?? What do you think the government is going to want to collect their taxes in? goats? Do you think that businesses around the world are going to stop using cash? Better stock up on chicken feed, another tanker is heading to the US.

Not only does Walmart not take silver or gold, but they also don't take rabbits, potatoes or pumpkins.

Sorry, I don't understand the entire premise of this thread.

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper-T View Post
    Sorry, I don't understand the entire premise of this thread.

You aren't the only one.

I appreciate the OP's efforts to create a thought provoking thread. I wish more members would start more threads. But this one is so out there that I'm not sure how to realistically discuss it in anyway that's relevant to life.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout