Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stop eating Gulf seafood

Stop eating Gulf seafood

Looming Crisis: Officials Close Gulf Waters to Shrimping As Reports of Deformed Seafood Intensify | Stuart H. Smith

Looming Crisis: Officials Close Gulf Waters to Shrimping As Reports of Deformed Seafood Intensify

Did you vacation there? Did you swim in the ocean? Did you eat there...Stop breeding....for the sake of your future kids..

Same goes for seafood from JAPAN

Claptrap's Problem Solver

From the Alabama Department of Conservation and Natural Resources announcement of the closure of shrimping in Mobile Bay

This closure is in response to routine shrimp sampling that indicated the average
    size were smaller than 68 head-on shrimp per pound. Should sampling indicate a change in
    the projected average size of 68 shrimp per pound, additional announcements will be provided
    to modify the original announcement.
    Found here

It would seem the only news outlets carrying this are Al Jazera, infowars, freerepublic, dailykos. Enough said there.

Bon Secour, Wolf Bay and Little Lagoon are all parts of Alabama's Gulf shorelines. See the above PDF for further explanation. The reference to Mississippi sound is the tiny sliver that falls into Alabama's coastal waterways, not Mississippi's. Again, see the map. There are no announcements on the relevant Mississippi or Louisiana department websites.

So this is the action of one State, for very specific waters and for undersized shrimp counts, not deformed shrimp mutants.

And the shimper referenced in the linked report is from Louisiana, not Alabama.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

For the Love of Cats

Oh CRAP!

Guess the price of seafood is going through the roof!

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Since this is clearly mangled reporting, and as yet unfounded, I've moved it to town hall.

It doesn't help the OP's cause that I live on the Gulf of Mexico and eat a metric shitpile of seafood.

ETA: Not saying this isn't going on, or shouldn't be monitored but based on the accuracy of the current reports, and who is reporting it, for now it's in the "good to know, get back to me when you have something real" file.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

Does NOT use a snake bit sucker kit on snake bits

As they say... two heads are better than one. I'm going over to the WEST coast of Florida swim in the water and eat all the sea food that I can catch. Woo Hoo!!!
    Last edited by Evolver; 04-28-2012 at 01:58 AM.

Claims to have NEVER worn pink. Likely story.

Quote Originally Posted by Evolver View Post
    As they say... two heads are better than one. I'm going over to the WEST coast of Florida swim in the water and eat all the sea food that I can catch. Woo Hoo!!!
    Let me know when and where, thats my AO!

Yep... Im a seafood buff... nothing beats a gulf coast seafood dinner!!
    It is, of course, obvious that speed, or height of fall, is not in itself injurious ... but a high rate of change of velocity, such as occurs after a 10 story fall onto concrete, is another matter.

Thunder Lizard Canning Club Chapter of the Old Farts Society

Just as an aside Stig, Evolver and Vertstang, what exactly constitutes a metric shitpile of seafood? I fear that I may be under consuming and I don't want to be caught short. Does sushi and sashimi twice a week count? Can it be a combination of sea and freshwater catches? Do I get penalized a metric dog turd's worth if I consume my seafood with red meat? I need to know these things if I am to remain a seafood ant in good standing.
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me Liberty or give me death." Patrick Henry, Virginia House of Burgesses, March 23, 1775

Quo Vadis?

Luke 22:36, And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

emergencyfoodssupplies.com

For the Love of Cats

Oh Lord... here we go with the metric thing again...

why don't you guys convert already, and we'll all know what's what!

Thunder Lizard Canning Club Chapter of the Old Farts Society

^^^^ Yeah Sniper and I bet you are a follower of the apostate Gaston the Heretic instead of a loyal believer in Saint John Moses of the Saline Lake.
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me Liberty or give me death." Patrick Henry, Virginia House of Burgesses, March 23, 1775

Quo Vadis?

Luke 22:36, And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

emergencyfoodssupplies.com

I'll most likely shit myself

Being a tool whore myself, I have to agree with Sniper on switching to metric. Metric tools are much more accurate IMO.

BTW Would a shit pot full of Shrimp and Grits count?