Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gas Masks: A primer

Claims to have NEVER worn pink. Likely story.

Quote Originally Posted by realist View Post
    Izzy good post.
    There are a lot of people that think that a gas mask will protect them in a fire. Remember a gas mask is a filter and does not supply oxygen, so if you are in an oxygen depleted environment then you will be toast.

Mitunnelrat if you are preparing for a chlorine leak make sure that your filters are designed to filter chlorine. Also be aware that chlorine filter break down relatively fast so don't stay in the environment any longer than you have to.

They do make a rubber goggle type glasses to wear under gas masks. If you plan on wearing these you need to be fit tested to make sure they work. I have found that several times I could not get a good seal. The inserts are the best route to go.

If you do decide to buy a mask or masks make sure that you purchase several filters. Do not open the filters unless you need to or are going to use them for training. Keep the others in reserve. I would recommend that you purchase the ones for NBC over others unless you might be exposed to a specific chemical. Filters for CS or CN (tear gas) are not as good as the NBC filters. If you are buying buy the best. Bacpacker you can use your hand to check the seal on your mask.

Izzy I like the remove plug before donning. You will only do it once then you will never forget, it is a rude awakening for some. One other thing regarding filters most commercial masks will take a military filter but the supplier will tell you that it is illegal to do this. It is only illegal for an agency to do this not a private person. I always figured that when the bugs were flying around I didn't think that there would be anyone around to check my mask.

Gas environments, LNG and Propane will displace oxygen, see above regarding oxygen depleted environments.

Shooting in a gas mask sucks, so if you plan on it you need to practice. If you are going to consider this you might consider testing out how they fit while holding something up to simulate a rifle or handgun when purchasing a mask.

For those that have a bunch of money you might consider a PAPR which stands for powered air purifying respirator. This is a battery powered unit that will suck in the air through filters giving you a positive air flow and will not be so taxing to your body. Some of these have dual filters that will give you a prolonged working time.

I use both the Dragger and MSA masks, they work very well. I have used them in actual chemical environments. They are the only ones that I would put my family in. I'm sure there are others but since I have personal experience with them I don't want to trust another company's tests if I have not personally used them.

Now if you are depressed that you purchased a POS mask from Abdul don't fret they still make good Halloween costumes for the kids.....

This also ties into needing chemical suits, as chlorine gas will also attack exposed skin and such... in fact, most chemicals you want to use a respirator for will...
    It is, of course, obvious that speed, or height of fall, is not in itself injurious ... but a high rate of change of velocity, such as occurs after a 10 story fall onto concrete, is another matter.

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

wanted to bump this back to the top.

Goes well with the BIo and Chemical threat thread
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Do you have a robot?
    I must have missed this when I was attending school. Hey Grumpy I would not recommend a gas mask for confined space. Remember if you have an oxygen deficient location a gas mask will not work. Make sure you have an SCBA and that is a whole different subject we can go into.

One thing I do recommend is those of you with old gas masks you do want to replace them. Try the old ones out and put them on and practice with them get to know what it is like to breath through a filter. Before you are done take the new one and practice with it until you are comfortable donning and doffing it. Remember your canisters will last so long as they are still sealed. We are required to inspect out masks every 30 days however I think that is a little much. I do highly recommend you go through your equipment every 6 months. I know there are a lot of masks that are just stuffed in bags. If they are folded over it can cause problems so store them correctly. One other thing is they make tear offs for the lens. These are plastic sheet which protect the the lens of the mask. I can't stand looking through scratched lens.

If you want to do something challenging try shooting through these things. It takes some practice but it can be done. The big problem is being able to see your sights. Red dot make this much better. I am not a big one for lasers but this may be where they come in handy.

Crotch Rocket

As an FYI only, I just found a couple products that may be of some interest: an escape hood and a compact escape mask that looks like it can be carried on-person with relative ease... perhaps some of our better informed members can critique them, please?

http:// elmridgeprotection.com/?gcli...FY07Mgodng4A1A
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!