As I was cutting down some 1/2" to 3/4" diameter holly shoots with my pruners it dawned on me that these could be very handy SHTF event tools.

Whether you call them pruners or loppers (which is what I always called them???) they harness the power of leverage with a cutting tool.

These were given to my by my father-in-law. Nothing special or unique....just plain old loppers from Lowes or Home Depot. Looking back I use these things out in the yard all the time. In fact, if I had to hazard a quick guess I'd say I grab these things for most yard chores before I grab anything else.

For a size comparison, here's a picture of the cutting head next to one of my work gloves.

These things come in all sorts of sizes and configurations. I have two pairs, one with wood handles (shown) and a bigger pair with fiberglass handles. I prefer the wooden ones. The fiberglass ones are a bit big for my taste. That's one of the considerations for this tool IMO. How does it "fit" you. Get a pair that's too big for your work and you'll tire yourself needlessly. Get one that's too small for what's being cut and you won't be able to accomplish the task.

This pair measures 27" long and are 11" wide when the handles are completely closed so it might be hard to attach this to a BOB. That said, for a campsite bag of tools or a big plastic tub full of gear, they'd be easy to tote around.

Mine have been used for tasks from cutting down up to 1" OD tree branches (possibly bigger too) to dispatching copper-heads. I can see this as a great tool for hiking or anytime cleaning out vegetation is needed (post tornado, for example). They excel at cutting more dense items. I've tried cutting rope with them and it's so-so but it can be done. 550 cord tends to cut somewhat well.

In a pinch, they could be used to cut wires, thin diameter PVC and possibly even tin. Hell, they'd be great for threatening to remove a finger from someone you are interrogating....er....uh.....ok, that's a bit over the top. Point is, they are handy tools and one that doesn't necessarily spring to mind.