Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: "Bug Out Bags" Defined

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Quote Originally Posted by mitunnelrat View Post
    Sorry Sniper, I would hate to be in your shoes with that, and I don't want to trivialize it, but I have something of an observation question on the definitions. Its kinda struck me lately all of the definitions - as seen in 2, 3, and 4 here, are all the same bag under different names, and can cause a lot of redundancy in kits that doesn't need to be, which could also complicate things and overwhelm newcoming preppers.
    Excellent point.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

I grouped them like that solely due to the fact that a milion different places and people call them different thigns. when I stopped to understand what the context was, folks were talking about the same type bag, intended for different roles, different contents, missions, etc....etc.... hence, the groupings I put them in. I agree that they can be multi role and that there is a lot of crossover.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Has been known to look at Izzy's trunk. Stares at the junk in Izzy's trunk. Get it...he's checking out Izzy's trunk.

Quote Originally Posted by mitunnelrat View Post
    Sorry Sniper, I would hate to be in your shoes with that, and I don't want to trivialize it, but I have something of an observation question on the definitions. Its kinda struck me lately all of the definitions - as seen in 2, 3, and 4 here, are all the same bag under different names, and can cause a lot of redundancy in kits that doesn't need to be, which could also complicate things and overwhelm newcoming preppers.
    I think most people who have a BoB tend to lean towards the 72 hr bag, whether it be for getting them home or for when its time to run out the back door for the woods.

I do however like Izzy's break down of the bags, it gives a person different ideas on how to prepare a BoB to fit a particular need.

The only bag that i do not have prepared is the INCH bag, i'm having a hard time finding a bag big enough to fit ALL of my preps in
    “The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.” ~ G.K. Chesterton

Bacon saver

I guess one must have "BOC" Bug Out Closet, where you can have all your bags lined up. here you can just pick the one you feel is right for the time you are walking out the door. The foyer, yes the foyer closet. "HONEY! I'M TAKING ALL THE COATS OUT OF THE FOYER CLOSET AND THROWING THEM IN THE ATTIC!" Sounded good, I keep one in each vehicle, and one in the "office" (more an assault pack) and have 3 "cave" packs that are usually at the ready. My BOB's in the vehicles are primarily 1st aid, fire, water, change of clothes and ammo. I figure that is sufficient for three or more days. Or to help someone in need in case of an accident.

Be safe.............the night is your friend

Do you have a robot?
    Sniper isn't there a way of putting in a fire break for your place. I am looking at doing that for my place up in the hills when I get it built. The problem is it is at the end of a road so if a fire starts I have no where to go. I will be clearing an area of all vegetation to make it survivable.

For the Love of Cats

I would need to clear cut a swath all around me at least 50' wide then kill the soil so nothing could grow. and even at that, it may or may not work. A hot fire can cause trees to 'crown' where they are engulfed in an intense fireball which actually shoots the top of the tree off and into the air (burning) depending on the wind, they can land 1/2 mile or more away

So, I'll keep buying pumps and hoses, and make sure that they're all gassed up and ready. I have a cleared space all around my house, that I hope will help as well

Do you have a robot?
    I know it is a lot of work but what I have done is gone in a cleared a bunch of the under brush so that the fire will not climb up to the tops of the trees. I hope that this will slow things down.

If you want a really low tech way of getting rid of your brush and cutting down on your fire danger consider getting some goats. They will really clear an area. I am not living at my cabin so I can't have them. I would have never believed how much they can clear had my sister not go some. One other thing is that when they clear the underbrush you then have a clear field of fire........

Thunder Lizard Canning Club Chapter of the Old Farts Society

Not to mention that if they are Boers they can provide a lot of meat. I knew Sniper was wondering what they taste like, sooo........ goat!
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me Liberty or give me death." Patrick Henry, Virginia House of Burgesses, March 23, 1775

Quo Vadis?

Luke 22:36, And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

emergencyfoodssupplies.com

Bacon saver

Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
    Not to mention that if they are Boers they can provide a lot of meat. I knew Sniper was wondering what they taste like, sooo........ goat!
    His wife will be happy to know that they don't stink either, not like the other breeds. My wife has tried to convince me to get some but I haven't seen any before after proof or anything that convinces me, only negative things like goats dancing on my tractors. I've eaten goat and it's fine. But I have other choices, that just doesn't rank high on my list.

Be safe.............the night is your friend.

For the Love of Cats

yeah, they clean up brush well, but everything else too. given time, they will level a forest (not unlike cattle); but, unlike cattle they need a heck of a lot more than a couple rails for a fence. They seem to take pride in getting out of anything or on top of everything. I'm still working on the chicken tractor thing, trying to sell her on the goodness of fresh eggs/meat; but I do spend time away from home during the summer, and it would fall to her to watch, water, feed, defend, our critters, and that's where my battle is lost. SHTF, and I am home always, np, I could get started in just about anything from local farmers, and my chores would be establishe, but now, it just isn't feasible. Livestock just isn't in the cards at this point.

and I've eaten goat too, and quite enjoy it. It is a food staple in Greece.

And back on topic... after she gets back... one day out of the blue, I'm going to surprise her and take an emergency call, giving us 5 minutes to evac. A realistic scenario right now. we'll see how she does... and if I can use that to inspire her into setting up her own BOB.