Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Bug Out Bags" Defined

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

"Bug Out Bags" Defined

We all have our "BOB"s. Some of us have more, some have less. It really all comes down to what we have decided to prep for.

I have heard BOBs called many things. Upon a little research, it is my opinion that there are several different types of bags.

There are different types of Bug Out Bags, differing in their size and contents as well as their intended purpose. What they have in common is that they are portable aides to survival, designed to assist their user in surviving and/or escaping from a survival situation. Let's break it down a little.

1. EDC kit

The EDC or Every Day Carry kit consists of the critical items that you keep on your person at all times. For most folks, it consists of wallet, knife, keys, flashlight, etc. Some choose to add a firearm to their EDC kit.

2. 72 hour BOB

This is what is most commonly meant by the term "Bug-Out Bag". Borrowing from the military idea of the "3 day assault pack", It is designed to sustain one person for three days, on the move.

3. The Get Home Bag

The GHB is a BOB intended to get the user from wherever he or she happens to be when disaster strikes, back to his or her home, where (presumably) the rest of his or her survival preparations are stored. From there, he or she can then decide whether to bug-in/bunker, or bug out. The GHB is generally smaller and lighter than a 72 hour BOB, as it is only useful if it is light and handy enough to actually carry every day.

4. Go Bag

A Go bag is intended to support its owner while getting from point A to point B, typically a Bug Out Location (BOL). The contents and size of the bag will be determined by the time, distance, and obstacles that one expects to encounter during their bug out.

5. INCH Bag

The "I'm Never Coming Home" (INCH) variant is designed to support the life of its owner indefinitely as opposed to other BOBs which are oriented torward sustaining life for a fixed length of time and perhaps an advantage if something unexpected happens. These bags tend to be much larger and contain a wider array of tools and supplies, they are also much heavier.

Hope this helps.

Izzy
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

This is a great outline of common types, Izzy!

For the Love of Cats

F...me

once again, this past weekend we were on eveac notice because of a local brush/bush fire.. less than a mile from my house!!!

I am scrambling to finalize my fire suppression systems, but am fighting an uphill battle.. :roll:

even though she's gone for a week, I think she's starting to get on board, with a bob. I do have a couple small ones set up.... but if a wildfire tears though, we're ill equipt after evac. *aside... I would defend my property to my death, but only after I made sure she was out with anything pertinent.

Seriously, I dont know if you people have ever seen a grass/brush/bush fire rage, but I have fought them, I have seen their speed, and it REALLY isnt a good thing.

IF and when the next one tears through my property, I will be the one standing chest deep in my pond, with both fire pumps screaming, fighting to my death to save everthing I have!!!
    If only I could sacrifice my neighbours who think it is ok to burn their fields during this drought...

*sigh*

Where's the epi?

That really sucks man. Isn't there some kind of ban on burning in your area? My MIL lives in Nevada and they deal with them all the time...it's horrible. Good luck and I hope that you and your property makes it through safely.
    I apologize for nothing...

Bacon saver

Quote Originally Posted by Sniper-T View Post
    F...me

once again, this past weekend we were on eveac notice because of a local brush/bush fire.. less than a mile from my house!!!

I am scrambling to finalize my fire suppression systems, but am fighting an uphill battle.. :roll:

even though she's gone for a week, I think she's starting to get on board, with a bob. I do have a couple small ones set up.... but if a wildfire tears though, we're ill equipt after evac. *aside... I would defend my property to my death, but only after I made sure she was out with anything pertinent.

Seriously, I dont know if you people have ever seen a grass/brush/bush fire rage, but I have fought them, I have seen their speed, and it REALLY isnt a good thing.

IF and when the next one tears through my property, I will be the one standing chest deep in my pond, with both fire pumps screaming, fighting to my death to save everthing I have!!!
    If only I could sacrifice my neighbours who think it is ok to burn their fields during this drought...

*sigh*
    Damn,
    You could move to California, there are some that deserved to be sacrificed to the eternal flame. I'm sure there are plenty of homeowners who agree after their houses were burnt to the ground, then the rains came and the mud slides and then we paid higher premiums so they could build right back in the same place so it could happen 2 years later.

No seriously, that sucks, stupid people. I guess it's time for the annual stupid people training seminar. But do you think it'll do much good? Some yes, some no. Idiots. Hunker down brother and be safe.

Be safe..............the night is your friend

Claptrap's Problem Solver

*sigh*
    Whats that? People are generally retarded?

Couldn't be....

(Sorry to hear about your issues bud....)
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

Thunder Lizard Canning Club Chapter of the Old Farts Society

F...me

*sigh*
    Having lived in the mountain west most of my adult life I know exactly what you are talking about. Out here in Kommiefornicastan we have idiots that take the spark suppression of of their OHVs and are responsible for many of the brushfires. There are also pyros in the USFS that set them intentionally (happened in CO twice) and "controlled" burns that get out of control and waste a lot of acres based on a bureaucrat's decision.

BTW, it is only a narrow band of the coast (about 35 miles inland) that are the ones building on the slopes, using poor building practices. The rest of the state is agrarian and very conservative. Please don't lump me and Realist and FoulBall in with those looters.
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me Liberty or give me death." Patrick Henry, Virginia House of Burgesses, March 23, 1775

Quo Vadis?

Luke 22:36, And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

emergencyfoodssupplies.com

For the Love of Cats

yeah, there is a burn ban on most of the province right now, This latest guy decided to burn his ditch in a 40 mph wind(gusting to 60), IDIOT! and there is some stupid by law, that limits the fine he can get to a maximum of $500.00

I'm sure that'll make the two people that lost their homes feel much better

Thunder Lizard Canning Club Chapter of the Old Farts Society

yeah, there is a burn ban on most of the province right now, This latest guy decided to burn his ditch in a 40 mph wind(gusting to 60), IDIOT! and there is some stupid by law, that limits the fine he can get to a maximum of $500.00

I'm sure that'll make the two people that lost their homes feel much better
    Well, at least they've made stupid somewhat illegal. Now if they can get it to be immediately, and VERY, painful!
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me Liberty or give me death." Patrick Henry, Virginia House of Burgesses, March 23, 1775

Quo Vadis?

Luke 22:36, And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

emergencyfoodssupplies.com

Crotch Rocket

Sorry Sniper, I would hate to be in your shoes with that, and I don't want to trivialize it, but I have something of an observation question on the definitions. Its kinda struck me lately all of the definitions - as seen in 2, 3, and 4 here, are all the same bag under different names, and can cause a lot of redundancy in kits that doesn't need to be, which could also complicate things and overwhelm newcoming preppers.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!