Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: JetBoil: Lil can o' AWESOME

JetBoil: Lil can o' AWESOME

So I've been using JetBoil's for a little over a year, and they still impress me. Like, on the level that Arsenal AK's impress me. I recently added the coffee press to my pile of JB gear, and it's almost easier than using the kitchen coffee maker!

I'll admit that the JB's capabilities are pretty much limited to heating/boiling water, but that in itself is central to replenishing water supplies on the move. JB's boil water FAST, and the fuel is light and lasts a long time. The click-type igniter also helps fuel economy.

Anyone else use these?

Has been known to look at Izzy's trunk. Stares at the junk in Izzy's trunk. Get it...he's checking out Izzy's trunk.

We've used them while camping for years now and i agree, they are awesome!
    “The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.” ~ G.K. Chesterton

I'll most likely shit myself

Glad to read the post. I've been looking at these for some time now, but really didn't know much about them.

I have used 2 peak one's by Coleman for many years. 1st one was the original white gas only, the second is maybe ten years old multi fuel. I like them and they will boil 2 quarts of water in less than 4 minutes and will simmer well also. But they are heavy.

sounds like I need to look much closer at the JB's

Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker View Post
    sounds like I need to look much closer at the JB's
    I would. You can go to Gander Mtn and check them out, they are the same price there as they usually are online. I've actually only bought one online, and that was because it came with a bunch of extras for almost nothing. I bought 2 or 3 Flashes at Gander, as well as 2 extra Flash cups, and 2 older JB PCS's(on clearance!) I like the Flash for family ops, as you can see at a glance if the cup/contents are hot and the baby is about to maim himself. I got the couple older PCS's for use in my lightfighter and solo gear, though they need some upgrading.

I was looking at them Friday night at Gander mtn. Bass Pro carries them to. I just never see them on sale. Guess the good stuff never goes on sale.

If it's still about $100(Flash), just snag one when you can. It's the best of the species, with some earlier flaws fixed and a folding tripod stabilizer. The coffee press, pot support, and a long-handled spoon round things out very nicely.

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

Another plus is there are a few lightweight folding stoves (Camp3 stove. Ebay, less than $20) that uses the same fuel. As Kodiak stated....We have used Jetboils for years and can't complain. Highly recommended.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

I've been looking at these today. Seem to be several models avavilable. Any particular one any of you like? Could be for 1 or 2 folks

IMO, the JB Flash PCS is the bee's knees. Early JB PCS's had some minor flaws. Other new models delete features that are better to have than have not. The Flash model is Best of Breed.

Essential shopping list:

Flash PCS
    6x large fuel cans(240g?)
    2x small fuel cans(100g)
    Sea to Summit aluminum long-handled spoon

Nice add-ons:

coffe press
    pot support
    extra PCS cup(but I'd rather just get another whole PCS)

If you're cooking Mountain House in the packets for several people, set up 1 burner and rotate 2 cups for quick cooking. Each cup will boil water for 1 packet(2 cups usually) in 1-2 minutes. If you clean out MH packets, they work great for making ramen, and ramen is a great way to stretch your bug-out food budget and increase your calories with minimal weight. I think it also mixes right in to most MH to make a bigger meal. More bang for the buck is nice.

The flash is one I liked. The other was the Sumo model. It'll do 1.8 liters at a time. Thought that might be a better deal for two folks.