Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Physical Fitness

The source of all known trouble in the universe

I envy you guys, the only thing I've noticed about me is an increase in weight. But I guess that as long as I will be in this God forsaken country I will not have the spirits to start anything serious. Weight loss starts in your head.

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Sorry to hear its such a drag over there my friend. Wish there was something we could do to cheer it up a bit for you.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

I'll most likely shit myself

Guys, I am so happy for you all. Weight loss is something I really need to do.

Premium Member

I've been going to the gym for the purpose of being able to handle what comes my way in a SHTF situation as well as just all around health.
    I go about 2-3 times a week. I do a combination of free weights, machines weights and calisthenics. The other days I try to run, don't always have the motivation to though.

Premium Member

I normally go in a roller coaster of being in and out of shape.

we all know that it sucks to suck wind after a 15 yard light jog... not exhaused, but winded. Bad juju. Now I'm feeling better and am more capable... and thus safer and more likely to survive in a SHTF scenario.

Recently, an event I thought I was going to (didn't) spurred me to get into shape. I mostly do calisthenics and jogging (mixed with short "up and backs" to get the sprinting muscles going) now.
    To give myself a set routine I use the MARSOC "short card"... it's a 20 minute (plus or minus) workout that incorporates only calisthenics... the only "equipment" you need is a pull up bar. Crunches, burpees, pushups, flutter kicks, lunges, etc.
    It kicks your ass, and you can work up to do it faster and faster to keep getting benefits out of it.

Claims to have NEVER worn pink. Likely story.

Quote Originally Posted by RedJohn View Post
    I envy you guys, the only thing I've noticed about me is an increase in weight. But I guess that as long as I will be in this God forsaken country I will not have the spirits to start anything serious. Weight loss starts in your head.
    Its the amazing french food isnt it! ROFL!!

I have started running about 3-4 miles daily now... coupled with the pushups and situps, swimming every other day for 2 hours.... Doing good so far!

Premium Member

It seems alot of work outs are upper body and no lower, except for some type of cardio like running. Lower body work out is very beneficial. I am talking about weights when it comes to lower. I've read and experienced that when you work out your lower body, it is like a boost for the upper. It releases more testosterone, which helps for physical work out.

I need to start working out again. Its been a while for me as well. I am no longer looking to build size like I did when I was younger. My focus now is trimming up and endurance. I still believe that working out the lower portion will help facilitate the upper. Also, working out the lower will help for SHTF situations when you need that lower strength to get you out of situations.

Well, Im gonna try to see if I start this Monday, with lower first and the rest throughout the week. Another thing I have learned from experience has been to learn to love that which you hate. For example, I never liked to do abdominals. Well, when I worked out, I would ensure that I would do them everyday, all the way and try to love it. Afterwards, it wasn't so bad and looked towards finishing my workout with abdominals.

At the end, yes its psychological. Pretend you love it and you will at the end.

My focus is around being able to hike long distances, heavy weight (without unnecessary stuff) and gunbuilder69, if you want to go with me let me know.
    Where are you going to be when SHTF?

Wanna go camping?

Is kinda partial to Charmin...can you spare a square

Fitness

IMHO, here is a good place to start:

one hundred push ups

and here:

two hundred sit-ups

and here:

two hundred squats

and here:

one fifty dips

and here:

twenty five pull ups

Now, I do not go to a gym. I live in the boondocks. I have my own set of Oly. weights that I use in the carport, no matter what the temperature.

Walk 5 miles a day, and as soon as the snow clears off at a higher elevation, there is an 18 mile loop that I will be doing every Saturday. Haven't decided yet what equipment to wear and/or take on that one. I'm thinking my ALICE LBE and Mr Glock in a drop holster.

We will see how I progress until summer, when I have some extended FTX goals.

Bob
    III

Crotch Rocket

and how's it going, bob?

Its getting nicer in my area again, so I figured I'd see where everyone's at with it this year. I'm personally making an effort to do more intensive cardio, did 4 miles of interval training today, as a matter of fact. More walking than jogging for 3 of the 4 miles, but that'll improve as I go.

There's a gym one mile from my house, which I'm using on Monday's (arms/ shoulders), Wednesday's (Butt, thighs, legs), and Friday's (chest, abs, back) I walk or ride my bicycle to it as often as possible. Cardio days are Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. I hate them now that I'm forcing myself to "run". I quickly learned things aren't as level as they seem at 50 mph in a car.

I just need to get a heavy bag routine going now, maybe do that on a cardio day.

That's about it, so seriously, how's everyone else doing?
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

Is kinda partial to Charmin...can you spare a square
    Unfortunately, regressed a bit.

Had some old injuries come back to haunt me, laid me up for a while, and now starting light.

My time frame goals are shot to hell, but re-doing is not so bad.

Sometimes it's hard to keep a good attitude when I have an old busted up bod from when I was young and dumb, in the Green Machine.

Just going to keep after it.

Hunting season will be here sooner than later.

Bob
    III