Thread: Physical Fitness

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Where's the epi?

If some of you aren't having results with the diet you are on try the Atkins Diet. I have known several people who have done it and had great results. Much better than South Beach. Try to remember that if you are 60 lbs overweight you will not have the energy to work out like the ones with less weight to lose. Maybe trying to work on the actual diet first and then the toning/bulking up part would give better results and a mental attitude to succeed. Trying to kick it in high gear physically from the beginning leads to mental drain and failure (quitting) and injuries, as we can see several of you have right now. Light workout and diet in the beginning is key with severe overweight issues. And as others have said..eating 5-6 small meals is better for you, when you eat the conditioned way your body goes into starvation mode and uses muscle for energy and saves the fat for reserves.
    Last edited by ladyhk13; 04-28-2014 at 12:40 AM. Reason: Fubar wording
    I apologize for nothing...

Wants you to "look at what he's holding tonight".

Quote Originally Posted by ladyhk13 View Post
    If some of you aren't having results with the diet you are on try the Atkins Diet. I have known several people who have done it and had great results. Much better than South Beach. Try to remember that if you are 60 lbs overweight you will not have the energy to work out that one one with les weight to lose. Maybe tying to work on the actual diet first and then the toning/bulking up part would give you better results and a mental attitude to succeed. Trying to kick it in high gear physically from the beginning leads to mental drain and failure (quitting) and injuries, as we can see several of you have right now. Light workout and diet in the beginning is key with severe overweight issues. And as others have said..eating 5-6 small meals is better for you, when you eat the conditioned way your body goes into traction mode and uses muscle for energy and saves the fat for reserves.
    My wife has been on atkins diet for a while now, she is down over 40lbs, and loves it. Don't let the people that don't know crap about it tell you it is not safe.
    "When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes DUTY!" - Thomas Jefferson

Crotch Rocket

Quote Originally Posted by ladyhk13 View Post
    If some of you aren't having results with the diet you are on try the Atkins Diet. I have known several people who have done it and had great results. Much better than South Beach. Try to remember that if you are 60 lbs overweight you will not have the energy to work out like the ones with less weight to lose. Maybe trying to work on the actual diet first and then the toning/bulking up part would give better results and a mental attitude to succeed. Trying to kick it in high gear physically from the beginning leads to mental drain and failure (quitting) and injuries, as we can see several of you have right now. Light workout and diet in the beginning is key with severe overweight issues. And as others have said..eating 5-6 small meals is better for you, when you eat the conditioned way your body goes into starvation mode and uses muscle for energy and saves the fat for reserves.
    This is exactly why I scaled my calisthenics routine back. I got enough negative feedback from various body parts to know I was hitting it too hard to start. I have to remember I'm not 19 anymore. In some ways this is more intensive than a PT test was then. I'm heavier, and more importantly imo, my conditioning is terrible. I can't do what I could, it will take more of a toll, and recovery is going to take longer. Like it or not.

About the only thing you surprised me with in this post was the recommendation to diet before increasing activity levels, but then you expanded and said light exercise and diet as a combo, so I'm pretty sure we're on the same page there. I've read and observed for myself that our bodies will adapt to whatever we do and change to achieve those tasks as effieciently as possible. Hence my ass gets soft and spreads across a seat, and 4such tones, builds muscle, and firms up, as a local so colorfully told her.

Ok, that was half tongue in cheek, but the principle holds. Its why body builders don't run marathons, and runners don't lift heavy. They're conditioning just isn't optimized for it. Anyway, its my understanding dieting alone will work for a bit, but our bodies will adapt to that as well and, while I'd be lighter, I'd still be weak, lacking the conditioning to function like I need to. Since I need both to achieve my goals I feel like it just makes sense to capitalize on the fat burning properties of a revved up metabolism right from the start.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!