Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Riding Lawn Mowers

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Riding Lawn Mowers

Riding Lawn Mower for post SHTF utility vehicle?

Discuss....
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

For the Love of Cats

mines about 15 years old, and has a computer in it. if it is EMP, I would think it be fried. Otherwise, it would be awesome, it has a trailer hitch that can handle some serious weight, goes through anything, has optional tire chains, and when not spinning the blades, will run forever on a tank of fuel.
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

I'll most likely shit myself

I can see that working. Grab a trailer sized to be handled by the tractor in question and your good to go. I had a old Tory built that was nickel and diming me to death and it crap out for mowing last year. I made a call to replace it and ended up with a Kubota 18hp diesil. It also has three point hitch so it can serve as a very light tractor as well as a mower. I can run it for 5-6 hours on 1-2 gallons of fuel, while mowing near knee high grass. Just using it to tow a trailer and hauling water, food, lumber, whatever needed I would probably run 8 hours or so on a gallon. You can get a lot of work done in 8 hours and the tractor wouldn't be running the whole time either in some cases.
    This is a large part of my plan.

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

You ain't gonna play no fooz-ball bobby bouche! Sorry, had to. We had a 13hp IIRC John Deere mower, it is actually kinda scary how fast it is. That Kohler engine is bulletproof too. I think it might actually make a decent runabout, and you could mow coastal hay at a pretty deep depth for feeding livestock, obviously, you'd have to hand bale it, but it'd be better than wacking it with a scythe. I always thought, that other than lower COG, and load capacity, that a go kart could be a good runabout vehicle in a WROL situation. Also, if you had a light duty tractor with a PTO, you could rig a generator for power, or to run a sawmill, well pump, etc.
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.

Where's the epi?

I think it's a great idea. My mom lives about 5 miles from us so it would be useful just to go back and forth to check on her.
    I apologize for nothing...

I'll most likely shit myself

Excellent point about the PTO being useful for so many things. I've been to some "old timers" days at some heritage festivals around here and some of the guys have small hit and miss engines that run 5-7 different pieces of gear form one engine. PTO's on a tractor could easily do the same thing if properly equiped.

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

I am so going to camo my Poulan Pro riding mower, attach a "tactical" utility trailer, and add a Swivel mount for a Mosin Nagant.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

stark assed naked and butt to nut with no issues
    That was something at one point I wanted to try and learn more about, Hit and Miss engines. . .this may be the thing that puts the bug back into my brain!

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

Here's a story about a guy who rode his John Deere mower to see his brother, it was made into a movie.

Alvin Straight - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.

Thunder Lizard Canning Club Chapter of the Old Farts Society

For the PTO think gannon for grading, plow and disc for gardening, snow blower for winter, etc. Just get one that is big enough!
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me Liberty or give me death." Patrick Henry, Virginia House of Burgesses, March 23, 1775

Quo Vadis?

Luke 22:36, And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

emergencyfoodssupplies.com