Thread: Dakota fire pit

CC Gray Panther

Dakota fire pit

http://survivalmanadventures.com/Sur...-5-300x210.gif

Hopefully I did this right. This is a link on how to build a Dakota Fire Pit. Thought this would be useful in keeping our signature low while out doors.
    Last edited by eagle326; 05-05-2012 at 01:09 PM.

Does NOT use a snake bit sucker kit on snake bits

Here is one in action.

For the Love of Cats

Just be careful with what kind of soil you're working with. If there is a lot of peat moss, the ground itself will catch on fire, and can burn/smoulder for ever.

With a couple of well placed flat rocks, you can make a nice little rain deflector, and a cooking platform.
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

CC Gray Panther
    Quote Originally Posted by Evolver View Post
    Here is one in action.
    Thanks Evolver ; I tried bringing that one over here but kept goofing it up. Have to get my daughter to tutor me again.

Does NOT use a snake bit sucker kit on snake bits

^^^ LOL Your welcome eagle. Here is how to bring them over to here...

After you find the video that you want,
    put your pointer on the address bar, The one that shows the www._____.___
    right click,
    copy,
    Come to our site and in the reply box click on the Insert Video tab found in the tool bar second icon from the far right,
    put you pointer in the box that appeared,
    right click,
    Paste,
    then click on the ok tab
    Viola!

Now... Give it a try.

Sniper, Thats a great follow up reply!!!

For the Love of Cats

Thanx evolver, I've made a LOT of these over the years, although not so much recently.

When I was in Greece, they allowed you to camp on the beaches, but didn't allow fires, as they didn't like the remains people left.

I kinda cheated a bit by making these. We'd go way off to an end, and down in the heavy sand below the high tide line we'd dig them. but in sand, you have to support the tunnel by lining it, and capping it with rocks. and then covering it with sand. I found that about 16" deep worked about the best for a cook fire, with a flat rock covering about 1/2 the hole. then once heated and cleaned, you could cook directly on the rock, or use it as a surface for a pot. my wok would balance over the hole leaning up against the rock and we were good to go.

We did get busted one evening, on the island of Naxos, by the army no less. I had caught a couple of brownfish out spear fishing, and had them roasting on the rock, and was off tenderizing an octopus on some rocks nearby when our wood collecters came sheepishly back with 4 army guys. (full uniform and black guns). They said the smelled the fish and woodsmoke from the road, and came to investigate. They kept staring at the set up trying to figure it out, so I moved the rock a little and showed them how it works. They had never seen anything like it before, and were amazed at how much heat you can get from a very small fire in the hole.

Since 'technically' the fire wasn't ON the beach, they let us off with a warning. Then they sat down for dinner with us. lol
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

I'll most likely shit myself

This is a fire style I've been wanting to try. Thanks for posting this up. Gives me idea's of what to try. I like the idea about the rocks as well.

IIRC this type fire does not give off a lot of smoke does it? Esp if you don't use green wood.

Watch one, Do one, Teach one
    I taught this style of fire to Aircrew members as part of their survival training.
    A Dakota Pit Fire is also used when one wants to be inconspicuous. This is due to the fact that it does not throw much light, and is therefore primarily used for warmth. These can be used in conjunction with various types of shelters to warm them while drawing air from outside the shelter, but care must always be taken when a fire is used inside your shelter.
    "When the world is at peace, a gentleman keeps his sword by his side"

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

When my parents were building their home, the Mexican guys that were doing the work, would cook their lunch on a little fire pit that they had made using a #10 coffee can buried in the ground, there was an outdoor fire ban at the time, so they were being careful I guess, they just used a frying pan over the top, and made tacos and heated up tortillas. If you had a pre-established primitive camp set up, this would make a nice low impact fire pit, and might be safer near a lean-to shelter as well. Obviously, you need a little shovel to get the ash out pretty often, but I liked their idea.
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.

Watch one, Do one, Teach one
    Wanted to add the drier the wood the less smoke.as with any fire.
    "When the world is at peace, a gentleman keeps his sword by his side"