Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Chickens

The source of all known trouble in the universe

I don't understand the transition thing. Could you tell us more about it?

I'll most likely shit myself

I've had the chicken in a box in the basement for the last 8 weeks under a heat lamp. The lamp has been raised up a few inches each weak to get them used to coller temps as they got their feathers. Basement temps this week have been up into the 80's. It's been in the mid 90's here all week and forecast calls for similar next week.
    I've haven't got any real expereince raising chickens (my grand parents used to have them when I was a kid, but that was a long time ago). So my plan is to take 2 roosters outside first for 2-4 days and see how they do. I don't want to take them all at once and kill them all. I plan on harvesting 2 of our roosters in a few months anyway, so if I lose them now, it's not as big a deal as loosing all 13 at once and having to start over.
    Nothing special, just my way of thinkin.

The source of all known trouble in the universe

I see now and it makes sense. Thanks for the answer.

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

i just learned something new. I never knew you had to do that.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

You don't have to do it that way. I just don't know what I'm doin and don't want to screw up.

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

BP, You may know this but I will put it out there for whoever else. You don't need a rooster for the hen to lay eggs. He will fertilize them if you want to hatch any and help keep the hens in line but thats all you need him for. I have 2 roosters with 30 hens and they get along great but they tried to kill the other 2 roosters I had so I let them go (freezer-lol) I just hatched out 19 little chicks, they are un-sexed right now, when they get old enough to sex and move in with the rest I will seperate the roosters to another pen and fatten them up and invite them in for dinner-lol.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

Yeah the wife didn't want a rooster ( afraid a leg will pop out of the eggs ), but I wanted to have the capability to replace the flock if SHTF. I bought them unsexed so we got what we got.
    Question for you LB, How early can you tell roosters from hens acuratly? Pretty sure I have 4 roosters. There all gettin along now, but they were all born within 2-3 days of each other.

Yeah, it seems like all other younger males....they get along until girls start to matter. When they come of age some of them will fight. As far as sexing, I can't tell until the comb (top of head) or waddle (chin fat) start showing. Some people can look in the right spot and know.....if I hatch them out it enough to just wait and see. I will benefit from them either way--eggs or chicken.

BP, I sent a pm out to you earlier...not sure if it went. Can you advise?
    Last edited by LUNCHBOX; 06-06-2011 at 01:11 AM.

PM replied, Sorry just hadn't opened it yet. Nice name BTW!

I figured it would be a longer time before I could tell, but seemed to be 4-6 weeks or so for 2-3 of them, 1 I still have questions about. Wasn't aware about the fighting, but makes sense to me. And yeah chicken or eggs it's all good. Not to mention how much "fertilize" they produce.

I read you need to compost any/all livestock crap for a year before you use it as fertilizer. The chicken crap is said to be great for corn (something about the nitrogen release) I am going to try it and see.