Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Chickens

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

I know its kinda late for this but if you have chickens (any livestock really) shade is a must. I even put a little kiddie pool with a couple inches of water in my coop area for them to play.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

I'll most likely shit myself

I have a tarp across the tractor so they just move around during the day. The original I had on it ripped during a heavy wind. I had bought another one expecting that to happen. Bad thing was it wasn't big enough (6x8) to give enough shade. So I picked up a 8x10, worked much better.
    I've just about got them on garden/kitchen scraps and grass only. They are still growing like crazy, gotta be close to full grown. I expect them to start layin in the next month or two.

BP, the tarp is a good idea also, just make sure on the air flow. Keep us informed on when they start to lay and good luck.

My property has a low spot (kind of a gap if you will) across the middle and it typically has a breeze blowing across it. Plus the tarp is 4' off the ground so plenty of opportunity for breeze's to blow thru. The chickens will, what I call panting (like a dog) during the hottest part of the day and lay around in the shade. But they have grown pretty fast and seem to be tolerating the heat.

I finally got a bill of material together for the coop and found a guy on craigslist that runs a sawmill. Gonna call him tomorrow and get a quote on what I need. Stopped a Lowes today and got prices for the frameing lumber to compare with. My design is going to have a screened area all around the top couple feet to let breezes blow thru. I'm also gonna have a shutter type system on a hinged system that I can drop and seal off thru the winter.

The shutter will be a nice touch. I raised mine around 4 inches to allow air flow. I just straw it during the winter and lean a 1x8x10 to keep it in place.

LB what do you think about raising the floor of the coop a foot or so off the ground, fence along 3 sides and allow the chickens to go underneath for shade? Like I said the property is on a slope, so the uphill side mabe a foot up, downhill side 16-18". I thought it would be easy for them to get to incase a hawk or something is flying over.

You have to expect something else to do the same thing, fox, coyote, skunk. If your area is clear of all those then maybe but I wouldn't chance that. When/if you build a permanent structure then you can do your fence at 6 ft. The chickens can still get over that height and then return to roost and if you have a coop the hawk usually stays out of there. Four leg animals are the biggest worry IMO.

We have yotes and skunk around. I plan on putting up a good fence around the area for them to roam around in and feed. I'm also thinkin about putting a small area of fence around the outside border to keep youte, dogs or whatever from diggin under the fence. At least deter them somewhat.
    The fencing around the coop was just a thought on the 3 sides not opened to the fenced in run. I figured the shade would be good for them.

Good thought. You can pick up door screen pretty cheap for overhead shade also.

Good idea on the screens for shade. It's not total but good diffused.