Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Entertainment Post SHTF

Claims to have NEVER worn pink. Likely story.

Entertainment Post SHTF

We all know that when the SHTF, initially it will be all business, setting up whatever needs to be setup, and just overall keeping an eye out for trouble. But in a longer term situation, what would we do for entertainment? I think this is an important issue, if we live the rest of our lives watching behind our backs, for every sound thinking it could become a problem, we are all going to go nuts! Now I know about all the general ideas, board games, DVD's, Music, etc. but eventually, after watching a movie 100 times (going to eat power too, gotta keep that in mind), or playing a board game, it would get too the point where its no longer enjoyable. What I am getting at, is what alternative forms of entertainment would there be? I think hobbies would be considered one...

For one, I think i could really get into carpentry as a hobby. Its an amazing skill to have, and you can create endless numbers of toys for kids, and practical items needed for everyday survival...

What are your ideas?
    It is, of course, obvious that speed, or height of fall, is not in itself injurious ... but a high rate of change of velocity, such as occurs after a 10 story fall onto concrete, is another matter.

I'll most likely shit myself

Woodworking is a lot of fun and you can build all kinds of things from toys to furniture to buildings. But assuming the grid is down, you gotta have hand tools. That is one thing I have been working on, both woodworking and mechanical hand tools.

A couple of my current favorite pasttimes are fishing and gardening. Those will probably be critical skills in a SHTF situation. But fishing is still relaxing.

Other favorites we plan on having available is several bookcases and boxes of books, and magazines for things from alernate power to farming to survival to health and cooking. We have a pretty extensive music collection and I'm pretty sure I will be able to rig up a solar panel to recharge our kindles and MP 3 players.

This guy has "some" flashlights. Just a couple. As in, a metric-butt ton of em.

Entertainment is directly related to morale....We have planned for games....movie nights....puzzles....etc.

You will have to have a way to forget the stress of day to day life after the SHTF....or you will drive yourself nuts.

We (my group) has a very extensive library...reading for entertainment and education....not to mention the reference manuals.

And....tons and tons of music....and many methods of playing it.

A laugh a minute
    We have people who play the drums, guitar, banjo, spoons ect, and sing. So we have a band. No gas, eletric required. Also story telling is great. Talking about the day and any problems helps with the stress of it. Getting it off your mind and peoples input will solve any problem that comes up.
    I am me,
    I am free,
    You can not change me.

If you try, you will see,
    That I am unchangeable,
    Because I am me.

Claims to have NEVER worn pink. Likely story.

I was thinking music... definitely an important thing in my opinion so we don't go crazy!
    It is, of course, obvious that speed, or height of fall, is not in itself injurious ... but a high rate of change of velocity, such as occurs after a 10 story fall onto concrete, is another matter.

Walking on Sunshine

How about hooking a record player, if you can find one still workable, to a solar power source. That is if anyone still has LP's hanging around. The boys got their dad a record player/dvd player combo for Christmas. So now he can play his records and I can play my old Cinderella record for the grand kids.

stark assed naked and butt to nut with no issues
    im drubnk..... does that count?
    RELIGION IS LIKE A PENIS
    Its fine to have one,
    Its fine to be proud of it,
    But please dont whip it out in public and start waving it around,
    And PLEASE dont try to force it down my children's throats.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.

CC Gray Panther
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormfeather View Post
    im drubnk..... does that count?
    Moist ass-surely mi frend!!

stark assed naked and butt to nut with no issues
    game night, music, board games, cards, all sorts of entertainment can be found. We have solar chargers for all of our ipods/ipads, plus we have rechargeable batteries for all of the battery operated devices.
    RELIGION IS LIKE A PENIS
    Its fine to have one,
    Its fine to be proud of it,
    But please dont whip it out in public and start waving it around,
    And PLEASE dont try to force it down my children's throats.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

My post SHTF consists of Stormy swinging around a pole sporting his elephant head banana hammock........

On a serious note......

I have lots of travel sized board games. I try to put a deck of playing cards in all my bags. I'm also still working on having some of the tactical chess sets made.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.