Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Food Saver Vacuum Sealer

Walking on Sunshine

ak
    Thanks, will try to do the orottens and sclopded pots (as my boys would say when they were little)and let ya know how I did.
    bp, thanks for reminding me on the Instructions. The way I've been thinking lately (senior moments) I probably would forget to add them to the bags when sealing them

Do you have change for a canned bacon?

All good advice here.
    A few more tips I have learned over the years:
    For noodles I just seal the bag with an O2 absorber in it, you dont need to suck it out you just need the O2 out. I actually try to make sure the bag has plenty of air in it. Air has about 20% O2. The O2 absorber will remove just about all of the O2 and leave the 79% Nitrogen + other gasses. That way you dont crush your noodles. raw noodles like macaroni and wheels displace a lot of air
    Spaghetti will usually puncture the bag if you vacuum it out.
    Avoid handling vacuum packed rice bags too much as the rice grains will also puncture the bag.
    Try not to vacuum pack sugar unless you like big sugar bricks.
    Do not vacuum pack Gummi bears unless you want a Gummi loaf.
    I have learned that O2 absorbers, if used correctly can draw one heck of a vacuum by them selves.
    They say that the cockroaches will be the last creature alive on this earth.
    I intend on being the last person alive still stomping cockroaches.

Where's the epi?

I love my sugar in bricks...I usually put 7 cups in each, it's a good number to be able to use quickly and they store easily. As soon as ya cut into the seal the sugar immediatly falls back into its powdery form. I buy sugar in #50 bags so keeping it in that or filling up buckets and having to keep opening a 5 gallon bucket to use just doesn't work for me.
    I apologize for nothing...

I don't know if you have noticed it, but I was in Sams the other day and saw that a 50lb sack of sugar cost more than ten 5 lb bags at Walmart.
    I saw that you had to look at the unit price on Pasta too. The larger packs were not always cheaper per lb than buying single packs at Walmart.
    Strange huh?

Where's the epi?

Gonna have to check and see if that's here too or maybe regional? What is your price up there?

IIRC it was $31 for the 50lb bag (yellow bag Dixie Crystal?) and $2.89 for the 5lb bags (WM brand).

Where's the epi?

Thanks Alpha...should be going into town this week so I can check WM price and will have to make a trip to the big city to get price on bulk.