Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Miniature Milk Cows

Where's the epi?

Miniature Milk Cows

I have been thinking that instead of getting a full sized milk cow that maybe we should look into a miniature breed. Do any of you have them or are familiar with them? It seems to make sense since they don't need as much pasture and for 2 people we don't need as much milk that a full size would produce. Any thought? thanks
    I apologize for nothing...

Crotch Rocket

I don't have any, and I've never had any experience with them, but I was looking at this myself. You might be interested in looking up Irish Dexter's. They're supposed to be good for milk, meat, and even draught use if needed. A pretty good multipurpose animal right there.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9330 using Tapatalk
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

I'll most likely shit myself

That's a good idea Lady. We used to raise beef cattle (Herefords and short horn Durhams). They didn't put out near as much milk as Holsteins or Jersey's would, but if they were milked twice a day like they should be, it would be way more than 2 folks could drink. You also have the water and feed needs to keep one or two going. IIRC basic numbers are something like 2 acres per head for feed production and pasture.

I have no experience with the miniature breeds and the Dexters are the only mini breed I'm at all familiar with. With the body weight difference's between full size and mini breeds, I would think an acre per head would provide pasture and feed production for the mini's.

This a very interesting line of thought.

Where's the epi?

I read that the Jersey has the best milk (I am not concerned with meat) because of the high fat content - I imagine it would make wonderful butter as well. The mini's only reach about 42" high so for me being short it would work out well for milking and handling too! The only thing is, I found that Jersey's are going for about $1200. ea. Holy Cow! I would really like to milk only once a day...don't want to be a slave to it so I wonder how much milk I could get from only one milking. We plan on raising her totally grass fed.

For the Love of Cats

A cow can live and be productive for 15-20 years, if cared for; so at that is $60 - $80 per year. You cannot buy much milk or butter for that little. Sounds like a good plan to me
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Crotch Rocket

Kinda figured you'd say that, Lady, but didn't think it'd hurt to throw the option out there.

Consilio et animis

Essayons!

A laugh a minute
    We are think a mini jersey cow. Not very big, gives enough milk,, good meat, easy to raise on little paster, an all around good cow.
    I am me,
    I am free,
    You can not change me.

If you try, you will see,
    That I am unchangeable,
    Because I am me.

Does NOT use a snake bit sucker kit on snake bits

What about goats? They have good milk and it makes great cheese, they can eat anything, they're meat tastes good, they're smaller so when you do harvest one they don't take up as much freezer/pantry room, they're cheaper, you can keep them close to the house (rustler/prey), they breed well. I just thought I would throw this out there...
    I have never owned a cow or goat or for that that matter... nor a chicken or rabbit!
    But I have drank they're milk ate they're cheese and I have put them on the grill and had them in a pot.
    Last edited by Evolver; 05-29-2012 at 11:32 PM.
    You don't need to be the strongest
    or the most intelligent to survive
    but by having the right tools and
    the adaptability of change
    is where you will prevail.

Where's the epi?

Evolver.....No goats...no way no how nut huh. I think they are adorable, but dh has a very big dislike for the animal. Funny, he likes the cheese and meat but not the animal...I like the animal but not the cheese or meat....boy are we screwed up!

MTR...Which part of "I knew you were going to say that" were you talking about????????

Where's the epi?

Quote Originally Posted by mitunnelrat View Post
    I don't have any, and I've never had any experience with them, but I was looking at this myself. You might be interested in looking up Irish Dexter's. They're supposed to be good for milk, meat, and even draught use if needed. A pretty good multipurpose animal right there.

Ok, read up a little on them and there are only between 500-600 alive in the whole U.S. Seems that there is a trait called the Bulldog Trait that kills at least one quarter of the calves. Said it can take years to find someone who is willing to sell one of their cows. Guess I'll forego this breed and continue on to others...thanks though so I guess we'll continue the list!