I just wanted to bring this thread back to the fore. I have recently seen so many ads on TV about prepping and purchasing freeze dried foods from one of the major players in the freeze dried market. One good result is it is bringing prepping to the front in many peoples' minds. The problem is that freeze dried food has its own set of problems:

1) It is relatively expensive for the amount of calories/nutrition you get.

2) Without an ample supply of water it is essentially useless.

If I have to, I can open a can of green beans and eat directly from the can without any preparation. Yes, it may not be gourmet dining but it is there, plus there is water in that can.

I continue to be an advocate of the "baby steps" in prepping. We continually add a little with each trip to the market. We add a little water storage each month.

Many of us are not in a situation where we can get out and live off the land. In the Los Angeles area, perhaps only 1000 people could live "off the land". There just isn't that much around anymore. We are setting up to take care of ourselves for a year, provided the zombie hordes do not overrun our place. We might be able to protect the home from a small group but in time a large group will win out. I don't have the firepower to cover all the possible approaches to our place.