Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Estate Planning

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Estate Planning

One of Mrs Stigs aunts passed away unexpectedly this past weekend. Her daughter is scrambling because (1) she is broke (2) the aunt didn't organize her important papers in any way (3) she was not aware of her Mom's wishes.

So...for the ultimate SHTF event....have you organized your affairs so your loved ones have quick access to money for funeral expenses? Have a detailed list of important papers so people can find them (bonds, CDs, bank accounts, pensions, life insurance, etc.?

I must confess I've been putting off having a will drawn up. I also need to organize the important documents with a master list for what Mrs Stig needs to do in the event I'm hit by a bus.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

AND, if they're not in a trust... Instructions need to be left on how to sell, or Form 5? Iirc (tax free transfer) any SBR or Class III goodies. There is a very short grace period before an heir can be charged with constructive possession for merely having access to a safe after you're gone. I talked to the gun trust lawyer about this very thing just a few weeks ago, and it's happened before. It may also be a good idea to have a list of ballpark values of your guns so an heir gets the maximum value out of them when settling your estate.
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.

I'll most likely shit myself

Thanks for the post Stig. This is something we have been putting off as well. It is an important item to have covered, regardless of preps.
    AK, good stuff from the lawyer. Good info.

Where's the epi?

Every state has it's own codes for estates and heirs. Our state just passed the "no inheritance tax" law/code last week. As of 2012 there will be no inheritance tax when you are left anything by a loved one. Yahoo! Also, everything automatically goes to the spouse here as well but still a will needs to be done I guess for anything that's not covered or if both get killed at the same time.
    I apologize for nothing...

I'll most likely shit myself

Great news on the tax issue. I knew that was coming up. But I hadn't heard it had passed already.

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Quote Originally Posted by ak474u View Post
    AND, if they're not in a trust... Instructions need to be left on how to sell, or Form 5? Iirc (tax free transfer) any SBR or Class III goodies. There is a very short grace period before an heir can be charged with constructive possession for merely having access to a safe after you're gone. I talked to the gun trust lawyer about this very thing just a few weeks ago, and it's happened before. It may also be a good idea to have a list of ballpark values of your guns so an heir gets the maximum value out of them when settling your estate.
    Excellent advice.

For us the will isn't so much to protect our financial assets as it is ensuring LiL Stig is raised by the right people and take care of in the event Mr and Mrs Stig are suddenly removed from earth.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

Claims to have NEVER worn pink. Likely story.

after seeing several estates ending quite bad, might i suggest some things... Have everything decided prior to any event happening... Make SURE it complies with all state and federal laws so it isn't disputable... This will really help if something unexpected does happen... It will make things easier for the heirs...
    It is, of course, obvious that speed, or height of fall, is not in itself injurious ... but a high rate of change of velocity, such as occurs after a 10 story fall onto concrete, is another matter.

Thunder Lizard Canning Club Chapter of the Old Farts Society

I am spending my children's inheritance and plan on leaving them noting! Naked came I into this world and naked shall I return to my maker! It's all just stuff and it's all God's stuff, I'm just watching over it for him while I'm here. Sorry to derail a thread, but I have gone with a minimalist attitude and created joint survivorships. When I'm gone the remaining name has right of survivorship. No muss; no fuss. Goes straight to them.
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me Liberty or give me death." Patrick Henry, Virginia House of Burgesses, March 23, 1775

Quo Vadis?

Luke 22:36, And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

emergencyfoodssupplies.com

For the Love of Cats

^ ditto!

But I have created an inventory of all my high ticket items for the Mrs... guns, boats, quads, sleds, jewelery, cash, etc.
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Has been known to look at Izzy's trunk. Stares at the junk in Izzy's trunk. Get it...he's checking out Izzy's trunk.

The Mrs. and I have had a will on our to do list for a few years now and keep putting it off, thanks for the reminder to get off our rear ends and get it done. I think ill call a lawyer today and find out how much it costs.
    “The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.” ~ G.K. Chesterton