Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The things that make me wonder about people and their ideas about Prepping

Grand Poobah of the Smart Car Appreciation Society

The things that make me wonder about people and their ideas about Prepping

I belong to about 7 forums that deal with some form of prepping and i allways get a kick out of some people ideas about a super sized homestead with them beening the only one on it or the socalled super duper bov that has all the lastest toys on it and they can not drive it because it use to much gas .

Here is some of the thing's i do try to teach someone when they first ask about prepping lifestyle

1-be energy independent that means solar or wind power set up ..That also means spending money on good qualty items in the field of solar and wind home power system not some cheap junk items that will break down under hard use

2-be smart when it comes to you personal money matters .--That means in my book do not spend money where you do not need to .Also control your monthly out going month that is spent on the bills along with making your lifestyle about beening smart about the things that you buy for prepping

Also i tell them that pay off all there outstanding bills and get rid of the credit cards all but one and keep that one for use as it need and pay the bill as it comes in so not to have a bult up of intrest on the amount that you own them and have it carryed for a while .As part the whole thing about beening money wise i tell them if can not buy it saight out then do not put it on a credit card because of the simple fact about paying cash for it it better for you in the long run

3-live small --be small to me that means live in a small house on a small sized lot that you can manage to work yourself without having to much trouble along with the simple basic fact if your single or couple without childern or the childern is grown and left the nest there is no need for a super sized home and house payment .

As i pointed out to one person i do not need to worry about my land because i have gotten the lot down to a 1/2 arce sized lot that holds everything i need to survive from my raised bed food growing production area to my small home for me to live in full tie plus also having my own well for fresh water and my septic system for my litle home .'

My well is powered by solar and i have back up system that allows me to hand pump the water if need be .

4-Vehicles this is my biggest problem with people who say they need a super duper bug out vehicle and when i asked them this single question i get a stange look from them .

The question is in two parts -first part of the question is how much are you willing to give up when gas get over $5.oo to 8.oo dollars a gallon to drive the socalled super duper bov .

second part of the question now with all the vehicles you have can you drive the socalled bov as a daily driver and if not what happens if your stuck at the office and your super duper bov is at home .

That way i tell that my socalled bov is my daily driver along with chosing my socalled bov it because of the price of gas could get higher and i need to drive to and from work for 4-days a week in my socalled part time job that i have right now .

I have still yet to grow a brain
    BoV need means rough times are occurring. If that is the case would marshal law go into effect? Marshall law has a vague outline but one rule stands out do as your told. Do you think they want you driving around much less driving a BoV? They would have to search it since it stands out.... I dunno

Does NOT use a snake bit sucker kit on snake bits

Quote Originally Posted by hank2222 View Post
    I belong to about 7 forums that deal with some form of prepping and i allways get a kick out of some people ideas about a super sized homestead with them beening the only one on it or the socalled super duper bov that has all the lastest toys on it and they can not drive it because it use to much gas .

Here is some of the thing's i do try to teach someone when they first ask about prepping lifestyle

1-be energy independent that means solar or wind power set up ..That also means spending money on good qualty items in the field of solar and wind home power system not some cheap junk items that will break down under hard use

2-be smart when it comes to you personal money matters .--That means in my book do not spend money where you do not need to .Also control your monthly out going month that is spent on the bills along with making your lifestyle about beening smart about the things that you buy for prepping

Also i tell them that pay off all there outstanding bills and get rid of the credit cards all but one and keep that one for use as it need and pay the bill as it comes in so not to have a bult up of intrest on the amount that you own them and have it carryed for a while .As part the whole thing about beening money wise i tell them if can not buy it saight out then do not put it on a credit card because of the simple fact about paying cash for it it better for you in the long run

3-live small --be small to me that means live in a small house on a small sized lot that you can manage to work yourself without having to much trouble along with the simple basic fact if your single or couple without childern or the childern is grown and left the nest there is no need for a super sized home and house payment .

As i pointed out to one person i do not need to worry about my land because i have gotten the lot down to a 1/2 arce sized lot that holds everything i need to survive from my raised bed food growing production area to my small home for me to live in full tie plus also having my own well for fresh water and my septic system for my litle home .'

My well is powered by solar and i have back up system that allows me to hand pump the water if need be .

4-Vehicles this is my biggest problem with people who say they need a super duper bug out vehicle and when i asked them this single question i get a stange look from them .

The question is in two parts -first part of the question is how much are you willing to give up when gas get over $5.oo to 8.oo dollars a gallon to drive the socalled super duper bov .

second part of the question now with all the vehicles you have can you drive the socalled bov as a daily driver and if not what happens if your stuck at the office and your super duper bov is at home .

That way i tell that my socalled bov is my daily driver along with chosing my socalled bov it because of the price of gas could get higher and i need to drive to and from work for 4-days a week in my socalled part time job that i have right now .
    All of the above is a good way to live no matter the condition but as for the BOV goes... Clarence is the main factor. Your tires, chassis hight and drive wheels are your limits. Just one example. Say that your on a two line road or for that matter a four lane freeway and it's at a stand still from all the people that are trying to get to safety, the shoulders are also blocked by traffic and the on side of the shoulder is one or more of the following...
    Wet.
    Grassy.
    Muddy.
    Snow covered.
    Steep.
    Laden with rocks or over grown vegetation.
    Snow packed.
    Would you rather be in a Hybrid one wheel drive with 13'' tires or something with more ground clearance and traction?
    What ever the circumstances are I would rather have more ability than less. IMOP
    You don't need to be the strongest
    or the most intelligent to survive
    but by having the right tools and
    the adaptability of change
    is where you will prevail.

Does NOT use a snake bit sucker kit on snake bits

To stay on topic and answer the question. I will never want a duce and a half but an armored SUV would be nice!!!

But in White.
    You don't need to be the strongest
    or the most intelligent to survive
    but by having the right tools and
    the adaptability of change
    is where you will prevail.

Quote Originally Posted by Evolver View Post
    To stay on topic and answer the question. I will never want a duce and a half but an armored SUV would be nice!!!

But in White.

I would want it in green so I looked eco-friendly.

I agree with everything Hank says except the credit cards. I suppose it depends on what kind of SHTF you are prepping for, but I am bracing for another financial SHTF. Closing credit accounts hurts your credit score and costs you more in the long run. Keeping our credit scores intact really helped us out of the last financial crisis we were in. Plus, I use the credit card points to buy my preps.

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Been mulling over a reply to this for a couple days.

There is much there that I agree with. Being financially smart, avoiding debt, living within your means, etc are all very good ideas. Debt is the best way to limit your preps down the road as every dollar going out the door to service your debt (ie pay interest) is a dollar less going into preps.

Energy independence is a good idea but one that I feel might still be in the infancy stages. Yes, I know there are good solar and wind systems out there, but I'm thinking more when there's a universally accepted XYZ brand "my first house power kit". Doesn't mean you shouldn't be researching and exploring options now however.

The homestead and BOV stuff. That's where I differ somewhat.

SHTF means different things to different people. For some (including the official policy of this website) it includes every conceivable bad situation possible from loss of a job to natural disaster to complete zombie Apocalypse. For others, SHTF is a narrow specific event that only includes total catastrophic meltdown of society where we're all suddenly thrust into fending for our lives and living as individual units. The short hand for this is Red Dawn/Mad Max.

Since different people have different views of what qualifies as a SHTF event, it's not unreasonable that they'd also have different approaches to prepping. So for some, the idea of a large isolated homestead and monster truck makes complete and total sense. This is especially true if they happen to like living on a large isolated homestead in day-to-day non-SHTF life.

Example: Mrs Stig drives a Nissan Armada. It's a 14mpg apartment building on wheels. It's our "BOV" if you will. That said, my idea of "bugging out" is for natural or localized disasters only: hurricanes, forest fires, chemical spills, etc. In that case our land yacht is perfectly suited as the chance of going hard-core off-roading is nill (or at least very limited), and I like to ride in comfort. For day to day use, Mrs Stig is a home-maker and drives very short distances. So if gas goes to $5.00/gal it's really of no concern to me. Lastly, you have to live your life in between SHTF events and we enjoy a bigger vehicle and it's utility.

In other words, a monster truck that runs on polar bear tears makes total sense given our specific set of circumstances.

While you raise some valid points, it's always dangerous painting with a broad brush. For some folks a large homestead is ideal, for others it's a train-wreck. For some a 1/2 acre lot in suburbia is ideal, for others its living hell. You clearly enjoy your Smart Car, I wouldn't be caught dead in one. Point is people need to plan for the SHTF events they feel they will face and how they go about it may likely differ from what you have mind. That doesn't necessary mean it is wrong or bad.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

Thinks it might be German

So...... Can I keep my 7.4 liter 4x4 Suburban or not?
    The 12 Gauge... It's not just for rabbits anymore.

For the Love of Cats

Only as a daily driver, but not as a BOV.

Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Grand Poobah of the Smart Car Appreciation Society
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    Been mulling over a reply to this for a couple days.

There is much there that I agree with. Being financially smart, avoiding debt, living within your means, etc are all very good ideas. Debt is the best way to limit your preps down the road as every dollar going out the door to service your debt (ie pay interest) is a dollar less going into preps.

Energy independence is a good idea but one that I feel might still be in the infancy stages. Yes, I know there are good solar and wind systems out there, but I'm thinking more when there's a universally accepted XYZ brand "my first house power kit". Doesn't mean you shouldn't be researching and exploring options now however.

The homestead and BOV stuff. That's where I differ somewhat.

SHTF means different things to different people. For some (including the official policy of this website) it includes every conceivable bad situation possible from loss of a job to natural disaster to complete zombie Apocalypse. For others, SHTF is a narrow specific event that only includes total catastrophic meltdown of society where we're all suddenly thrust into fending for our lives and living as individual units. The short hand for this is Red Dawn/Mad Max.

Since different people have different views of what qualifies as a SHTF event, it's not unreasonable that they'd also have different approaches to prepping. So for some, the idea of a large isolated homestead and monster truck makes complete and total sense. This is especially true if they happen to like living on a large isolated homestead in day-to-day non-SHTF life.

Example: Mrs Stig drives a Nissan Armada. It's a 14mpg apartment building on wheels. It's our "BOV" if you will. That said, my idea of "bugging out" is for natural or localized disasters only: hurricanes, forest fires, chemical spills, etc. In that case our land yacht is perfectly suited as the chance of going hard-core off-roading is nill (or at least very limited), and I like to ride in comfort. For day to day use, Mrs Stig is a home-maker and drives very short distances. So if gas goes to $5.00/gal it's really of no concern to me. Lastly, you have to live your life in between SHTF events and we enjoy a bigger vehicle and it's utility.

In other words, a monster truck that runs on polar bear tears makes total sense given our specific set of circumstances.

While you raise some valid points, it's always dangerous painting with a broad brush. For some folks a large homestead is ideal, for others it's a train-wreck. For some a 1/2 acre lot in suburbia is ideal, for others its living hell. You clearly enjoy your Smart Car, I wouldn't be caught dead in one. Point is people need to plan for the SHTF events they feel they will face and how they go about it may likely differ from what you have mind. That doesn't necessary mean it is wrong or bad.

My point is like yours on diff areas but to me it seams most of the new people want to get out and play mad max on the road or red dawn out in the woods .A couple of weeks ago i went to a prep show here in Az and it was some good ideas out there and some not so good idea that had booths there along with a mix of the diff type of people there at the shows from familys groups to single people like me from all walks of life and colors there in the show

The one thing that got me there was the socalled red dawn or mad max types asking about diff thing for use after the shtf living most seam that they want to go and play the mad max lifestyle or be rambo in the woods .

As a sidenote this little trip to the show i found out that one of my boss is a hardcore prepper along with her husband and it was funny when i turned the corner on one set of booths and there she was standing with her husband and looking at me like ok i guess i was right about you look .When i saw her at work we talk about letting me sash a few things in her office like my bug out pack with it supplies for my walk home

As far the bug out vehicle i have allways said what works for you but me after living in LosAngles Ca for a couple of years and dealing with the gas prices there i will allways stay in a small vehicle .My little smart does handle the country roads and the socalled dirt and gravel road i live on pretty good even when there is snow on the ground when i drive into town for work .As i said before each person to there own vehicle since i only have about a 6.mile walk to my place out in the country i figure i could hoof it if i have to and keep a small bag of clothing with shoes to change out of if i need to

My BOL is my place in the White Mountains of Az and i live on full time and drive into town for my job i trimed alot of the area down with the idea of when i get older i can handle it easlyer byself if i need to along with setting up somethings to make one life easlyer .

Plus fixing it to make it easly to grow food on along with making it more energy ready so not to have to rely on the grid also .

Someone bought up credit since i went through a bad time and remembering how hard it was to play off bills and buy food i vowed that i would never be caught like that agian .So now if i can not pay for it outright or use a gift card to get it .So now i will not use a credit card to buy something .

Also it alot easlyer knowing that there is no bill coming in at the end of the month when i use a gift card to buy something over the internet .

There is alot of good idea's about diff things but each person also has to know what will work for them or not work for them in the long run