Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fire Prevention

Bacon Spam

a question on fire extinguishers, if they still read full, but have past the expiration date, most are still good, I know that here in FL the certification process if just a bunch of B.S. I have emptied 3-4 year expired extinguishers at work ( for fun ) cause the rep told me they cost the same to have them filled versus certified

For the Love of Cats

One of my extinguishers was a disposable kitchen one, 8 years expired, had a test button on it. It performed flawlessly. The other one I used Was 2 years expired but the guage read full. It performed flawlessly. I have several other 'current' ones.

When I replaced the used ones, I asked about filling/testing/certification/etc., and was told that it costs less to have a full extinguisher certified, because you are not paying for the material fill. It actually wasn't a huge saving, but depending on the size of the extinguisher, it added up quick
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

This guy has "some" flashlights. Just a couple. As in, a metric-butt ton of em.

Having helped an inspector.....all we did was to take the ABC extinguishers (powder type) and turn it upside down.....then smack it with a rubber mallet a few times at the base.....check the pressure....change the tag.....then hang it back on the wall.
    The Difference Between a Welfare State and a Totalitarian State is a Matter of Time.

Protecting your preps from disaster is a strong consideration for us. We live in California earthquake territory. (Is that redundant?) We are also located in the foothills of a brushfire area and did survive one fire in the 1980's. As a precaution for earthquakes we do have food and water preps stored in 3 locations, in the home proper, some in the detached garage and some in a separate shed. Should we have a SHTF situation occur where we did not have to get out of Dodge, everything can quickly be brought back into the main house for protection.

I have two fire extinguishers on hand. One is a dry chemical type located just inside the laundry room door and can be reached from the kitchen. The other is an older water/air pressure type located in the garage. My son used the water one on two occasions to save neighbors homes from fires.

All of the above, plus careful landscaping to minimize the chance of wildfire hitting our buildings (which have steel roofs anyway).

We also have a dedicated gas-engine fire pump connected to our water cistern (and a draft line into the pond), and a couple of hose stands around the buildings. The system serves double-duty, we can use it to clean the buildings and roofs, dampen the dust down, and have really intense water fights.

Being monitored doesn't do much for us - the closest response is more than 30 minutes away. A few years ago we had an oven catch fire in the kitchen, and by the time the first-in engine arrived the fire was out (I let them do overhaul). Had we not been there, the house would have burned to the foundation. Between the insurance and the wife, I bought a new kitchen and new appliances.

I do host a yearly party for all the emergency responders (law enforcement, fire depts including USFS, EMS including the medevac guys) to keep them involved in getting here faster. And the EMS guys kind of work for me anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo2 View Post
    Having helped an inspector.....all we did was to take the ABC extinguishers (powder type) and turn it upside down.....then smack it with a rubber mallet a few times at the base.....check the pressure....change the tag.....then hang it back on the wall.
    Which is why I watch the guys recharge my extinguishers. In California they are licensed by the state, and are required to open the extinguisher up and put a dated sticker on the siphon tube to prove they did... Not all states are as rigorous.

Holding dry chem extinguishers upside down every now and then is a good thing. You should be able to feel the powder moving inside: If not, get it properly serviced. This is particularly important for extinguishers in vehicles, the vibration can cause the powder to pack down.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Socalman View Post
    Protecting your preps from disaster is a strong consideration for us. We live in California earthquake territory. (Is that redundant?) We are also located in the foothills of a brushfire area and did survive one fire in the 1980's. As a precaution for earthquakes we do have food and water preps stored in 3 locations, in the home proper, some in the detached garage and some in a separate shed. Should we have a SHTF situation occur where we did not have to get out of Dodge, everything can quickly be brought back into the main house for protection.

I have two fire extinguishers on hand. One is a dry chemical type located just inside the laundry room door and can be reached from the kitchen. The other is an older water/air pressure type located in the garage. My son used the water one on two occasions to save neighbors homes from fires.
    Pressurized water extinguishers are great for Class-A (wood, paper, natural cloth) fires....and you can refill/recharge them at the gas station, if you don't have an air compressor. We take one camping to help put out evening fires, and I have used them to treat people and dogs suffering from hyperthermia.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Twitchy View Post
    moonnguyeno | eBay

Here ya go!
    Don't forget the PPE - at least brush coats, proper helmets with eye pro, firefighter gloves.

Do you have a robot?
    Living in wildfire country this year has really hit home. We are not far from the Lake County fires. After looking at them critically so many people all they could do is grab and go. One of the houses which made it through was an all concrete home. Although this would be the way to go I can't get a concrete truck to my location due to a 60 ft bridge which would not handle the weight. So plan "B" for my property is to put in a root cellar.......okay it will be bigger than a normal root cellar............the wife would roll her eyes if I said the B word. I figure I could get in a small Conex box and bury it. This would make it fireproof and so long as the entrance was properly protected we could get in it to ride out the fire. Obviously evacuation would be best but we have a one way in one way out road so if a fire cut it we would be screwed. So I am looking at a place of safe refuge too as well as storage of our things.

Thanks for the tips on the fire extinguishers, it was something I had not thought about.

You are so right about the PPE.....
    If it is predictable then it is preventable....... Gordon Graham

So if it is predictable and preventable then you better prepare.

may be in trouble

Quote Originally Posted by realist View Post
    Living in wildfire country this year has really hit home. We are not far from the Lake County fires. After looking at them critically so many people all they could do is grab and go. One of the houses which made it through was an all concrete home. Although this would be the way to go I can't get a concrete truck to my location due to a 60 ft bridge which would not handle the weight. So plan "B" for my property is to put in a root cellar.......okay it will be bigger than a normal root cellar............the wife would roll her eyes if I said the B word. I figure I could get in a small Conex box and bury it. This would make it fireproof and so long as the entrance was properly protected we could get in it to ride out the fire. Obviously evacuation would be best but we have a one way in one way out road so if a fire cut it we would be screwed. So I am looking at a place of safe refuge too as well as storage of our things.

Thanks for the tips on the fire extinguishers, it was something I had not thought about.

You are so right about the PPE.....
    I'm no builder, but I have a thought.

Cinder blocks and dry cement mix. Bring them in and mix up batches on site.

Did Cali do away with their stupid no-underbrush-clearing laws in the face of all these wildfires, or are they still far more concerned about preserving field mouse habitat? I mind some years back some poor schmuck got fined $5k for clearing all the brush around his place, and his was one of the few places still intact in the face of a wildfire.

That one way in/out thing... is that a matter of geography, or is there, if you needed to do it, an unpaved or cross-country way out?

Do you have a robot?
    I have killed all the saber toothed frogs in our area so I do not have to worry. I have been thinking about doing just what you said with the cinder blocks. I have also looked at ICF insulated concrete forms which I like the best it would just be very labor and time consuming. But that was for the living space. I need a place of safe refuge from a fire because of our location.

As for the clearing of brush the recommended distance is 30 feet is a joke in some area, I think it should be at least 100 feet. This may make your place stand out but it is better having it burn to the ground. One thing on my list is a gas powered pole saw for pruning up the surrounding trees.

One thing I found interesting as well as frightening is houses in the fire zone of the lake fire were burned completely in some case in 15 minutes, that's a hot fire. At one point the fire was burning 1,000 acres per hour! Flaming embers were being blown up to a mile in front of the fire and this was adding to the fire which was also causing its own wind. So part of my education is to plan for the worst and enjoy the best..........
    If it is predictable then it is preventable....... Gordon Graham

So if it is predictable and preventable then you better prepare.

One of my cousins has a horse ranch near Ione....she's been sheltering animals displaced from the fires nearby. She posted a pic today of her going for a ride: NO SMOKE!