Quote Originally Posted by Echo2 View Post
Having helped an inspector.....all we did was to take the ABC extinguishers (powder type) and turn it upside down.....then smack it with a rubber mallet a few times at the base.....check the pressure....change the tag.....then hang it back on the wall.
Which is why I watch the guys recharge my extinguishers. In California they are licensed by the state, and are required to open the extinguisher up and put a dated sticker on the siphon tube to prove they did... Not all states are as rigorous.

Holding dry chem extinguishers upside down every now and then is a good thing. You should be able to feel the powder moving inside: If not, get it properly serviced. This is particularly important for extinguishers in vehicles, the vibration can cause the powder to pack down.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Socalman View Post
Protecting your preps from disaster is a strong consideration for us. We live in California earthquake territory. (Is that redundant?) We are also located in the foothills of a brushfire area and did survive one fire in the 1980's. As a precaution for earthquakes we do have food and water preps stored in 3 locations, in the home proper, some in the detached garage and some in a separate shed. Should we have a SHTF situation occur where we did not have to get out of Dodge, everything can quickly be brought back into the main house for protection.

I have two fire extinguishers on hand. One is a dry chemical type located just inside the laundry room door and can be reached from the kitchen. The other is an older water/air pressure type located in the garage. My son used the water one on two occasions to save neighbors homes from fires.
Pressurized water extinguishers are great for Class-A (wood, paper, natural cloth) fires....and you can refill/recharge them at the gas station, if you don't have an air compressor. We take one camping to help put out evening fires, and I have used them to treat people and dogs suffering from hyperthermia.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Twitchy View Post
moonnguyeno | eBay

Here ya go!
Don't forget the PPE - at least brush coats, proper helmets with eye pro, firefighter gloves.