Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pet antibotics

The majority of antibiotics I use in daily veterinary practice are human-origin. However, the main decision on WHICH antibiotic to use is indicated by things like location of infection, probable origin and presumptive ID of the pathogen, penetrating ability of an antibiotic molecule into a disease lesion, and stuff like that.

My favorite example is using an antibiotic that is effective for gram negative pathogens commonly found in the mouth... and using it on the skin of a dog. Because the dog has been licking the lesion... and the majority of bugs in the wound are oral in origin. I love that example

Claims to have NEVER worn pink. Likely story.

Aye, Cipro.... That should be a last resort for infections... Cipro can be extremely dangerous if used icorrectly... there is a reason cipro is only authorized for treatment of some of the most deadliest infections known...
    It is, of course, obvious that speed, or height of fall, is not in itself injurious ... but a high rate of change of velocity, such as occurs after a 10 story fall onto concrete, is another matter.

Where's the epi?

Quote Originally Posted by IDTANDY View Post
    Any reaction to any PCN shouldn't be toyed with,short of stomach upset.
    Your alternative is Erythromycin or Tetracycline and those have side effects.

Levaquin can be bad on the heart rhythm(electrical).
    I was told when I was a kid I was allergic to PCN since I got hives (I don't remember them being really bad but it would kill my dad and my brother would turn into the good year blimp!) Do I haven't taken it since. I have taken Cephalexin (cephalexin; Keflex) without any problems.
    Am on Levaquin right now for a sinus infection...some stomach upset but I guess not much else so I think I'm okay with that one but am ready to stop since my stomach is already messed up and have to take 80 mg of Nexium a day. One more day (10 days on it) and I'll be finished...never been on it before but good to know it messes with the heart.
    I apologize for nothing...

NVG....totally a work deduction!

Quote Originally Posted by mitunnelrat View Post
    And one I don't see on that list is Levaquin. I watched my ex-wife go into anaphylactic shock on that one, and she has cillin allergies as well.
    I had a reaction to levaquin given by IV and I have no problem with cillin, they may not be related. As a side note, I have taken levaquin orally with no issues.

I have
    amoxiciilin 250mg #100
    Augmentin 85/125 #30
    azithromycin 250mg #60
    cephalexin 250mg #100
    ciproflaxin 250 mg #50
    doxycycline 100mg #100
    Metronidazole 250mg #100
    Penicillin VK 500mg #100
    Sulfamethoxazole/Trimethoprim 800/160mg #100

I also have a few opened bottles of a couple things, used to treat fish in the past will no ill effects

Pet antibotics

Something else to remember. Most antibiotics just lose their effectiveness after they expire. But tetracycline becomes poisonous. Never take expired tetracycline.
    It wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark.

NVG....totally a work deduction!

There is only one piece of anecdotal evidence that tytracycline becomes poisonous, and because of that tey changed the composition of the pills to prevent the reaction that MIGHT have been the cause of ONE negative reaction in a sick person. It is no longer dangeous and the decline in effectiveness is minimal as long as 15 years (probably more) after expiration.

Tetracycline is now ok everyone.

Where's the epi?

^ That's what I was going to say. Gov't and military studies have shown that almost all meds except for liquids will last for as much as 15-20 years past their expiration dates. The military and VA have been stocking them for years now for shtf scenarios. It is the pharm co's who have decided to put the short term exp dates on the meds or they would go out of business due to people holding on to their old meds.

- - - Updated - - -

p.s. the meds however must be stored properly and kept in origional bottles (if able) and NOT in the bathroom where moisture will degrade them.

Where's the epi?

Over Christmas BWRR got really sick as many of you know. Was running over 102 temp, sinus issues, body aches, the whole thing. He couldn't shake it. So I thought it was the perfect time to experiment on him with our fish antibiotics to see if they worked. He decided to take the small guys (pcn, 500 mg 2x per day) and the 2nd day the fever had broke and could see that although not well, he was on the upswing. Figured we should try them out while we still had access to a dr. Instead of waiting until shtf and finding out they didn't work. Now I feel totally comfortable in my stock knowing that they are good to go. Will invest in some more since I have noticed that the good ones are getting harder to find and are much more expensive than when I originally bought them. Guess they have realized that people are buying them for personal use so they can make a bigger profit.
    So that's my review on fish antibiotics from personal experience.

I buy fish antibiotics from the local feed store to keep on hand. Last bottle I bought had went up $3.00. Prices will continue to rise. This insurance thing is only going to make it worse. More and more people will turn to alternative means.
    It wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark.

Where's the epi?

I agree with you.

I have never seen them at our feed stores, they cater to cows, horses and chickens. Not much call for fish in our area. We don't have a pet store anywhere close...tractor supply and the co-op are about it. I kind of doubt Wally World will carry antibiotics. Guess I have to stick with online places and being tracked.