Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Logistics of re-supply at the fighting load out level

NVG....totally a work deduction!

Quote Originally Posted by tompnoid View Post
    If we are talking taking on an army i am strategically located cliffs on both sides one way in or out its a pinch point so buggin in is the best bet. but leaving will eventually happen and the rear is best way out for us. i am taking 2 rifles and my shot gun no auto matic weapons but the shot gun has plenty of buck shot and one round at a time will suppress alot of people. i have stuffed my winter coat with ammo so it is wear able and able to carry a thousand rounds while still being able to carry a tent food small amount of water and basic bug out supplies.
    Have you ever carried two rifles and a shotgun? Its not so easy, then you have several types of ammo unless the rifles are the same, but shotgun ammo is heavy too.

I used to think I'd carry several of my weapons, but after taking a little hike with them packed I decided that made no sense. Just have a good primary and a handgun.

In some situations I can see taking my 10/22 takedown as well. Of course all of this is assuming I end up solo, hopefully I can get my team together before I have to go into
    a fight.

Crotch Rocket

I have 180 rounds, on stripper clips, in grenade pouches on my 2nd line. The pouches hold 60 rounds each just about perfectly. Just enough to reload my mags once.
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!

I'll most likely shit myself

I'm still developing my fighting load. Currently I have a harness/belt combo with mag pouches and can carry 8 mags for the AR, plus one in the rifle. I also will have 5 pistol mags for the Glock. The wife will have 5 pistol mags and right now our .22 and 500 rounds of CCI Mini-Mag ammo for it In my butt pack, I plan on another 500 rounds of .22 and another 300 rounds of .223. I do plan on getting .22 conversions for both the AR and 1 of our Glocks. Once that happens the load out may change some, maybe not.

If I go much higher than that Weight will be much more of an issue than it already is for a BO. If It's just a needed load for around the house, I'll certainly carry more.

Quote Originally Posted by ak474u View Post
    If I gotta take the Nike Express, my plan is pretty ghetto, pad the handle of a .50 can, sling my rifle, and carry it. I met a guy who went into Panama to take an " un-defended target" and was out of ammo in the first few minutes when the standard load out wasn't enough. I'm not planning to go toe to toe with an army, but expecting the unexpected is probably a good idea.
    Its pretty simple.
    Try not to get into gunbattles.
    I mean, if you are burning through hundreds and hundreds of rounds on what should be a defensive weapon, you are way too visible or you're doing something wrong.

I would dump that ammo can and invest in some surplus military bandoliers.

Cache ammo at whatever places you can ID as being safe to do so. Can't say what that would be for you, since I don't know your situation

This guy has "some" flashlights. Just a couple. As in, a metric-butt ton of em.

Something you city dwellers should get a hold of is a good map of the rail systems in your area. I procured one for my brother....and if they must hoof it.....the railways will be much less traveled than the roads....until they get out of the city.

Also there are a lot of berms and cover areas....not to mention fences to keep folks out of rail areas. If you move quickly....the idea of "OFF LIMITS" will still be in the minds of a lot of evil doers.
    The Difference Between a Welfare State and a Totalitarian State is a Matter of Time.

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

Quote Originally Posted by tc556guy View Post
    Its pretty simple.
    Try not to get into gunbattles.
    I mean, if you are burning through hundreds and hundreds of rounds on what should be a defensive weapon, you are way too visible or you're doing something wrong.

I would dump that ammo can and invest in some surplus military bandoliers.

Cache ammo at whatever places you can ID as being safe to do so. Can't say what that would be for you, since I don't know your situation
    I agree, the bandoliers are a good solution, except, that they aren't as weatherproof as a can, and obviously the can being cumbersome, can be stashed/buried in any weather for the short term, along with a spare pistol while not in use. Obviously in a WROL situation not bugging out, but on foot far from home/immediate resupply, it may be an option, yes, if I had to walk any distance, I'd probably want a cart with more gear anyway. No gunfights planned for here, I prefer to be invisible as much as possible.
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.

This guy has "some" flashlights. Just a couple. As in, a metric-butt ton of em.

one word.....ziploc
    The Difference Between a Welfare State and a Totalitarian State is a Matter of Time.

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    Slowz1k, I wouldn't get too attached to the armor, Yes, it's useful, I have some myself, but only for certain times. The rest of the time, it's 30-50lbs extra weight. For urban, or the bugout, and during the initial times where there may be lots of fighting, it's good. After that, once it settles down into a basic survival off the land thing, it'll be mostly dead weight.

Ammo is pretty much waterproof as it is. You'd have to leave it submerged for quite some time before it was compromised, except shotgun shells, and even those will last longer than you think.
    A couple years ago, I was given 350rds of .45acp ammo by a friend. It had sat in his father's flooded basement after a hurricane. As floodwaters are salt water, the ammo was somewhat corroded, with some being not bad, and some looked like it'd come out of a boat bilge. He figured I'd pull the bullets, tumble them and use them, scrap the rest.
    Wrong.
    I took Scotchbrite and cleaned off the built up corrosion to where the worst ones would chamber, and shot them. In competition, no less. Every one went off on the first hit. The bullets went where I pointed the pistol. I didn't get enough of the corrosion off some of them, and they didn't fully chamber, but one whack on the back of the slide with the heel of my hand sent them home.
    Some of the other shooters were kinda freaked out, looking at my rotten ammo, but hey, most competitions are "lost brass" events, and I didn't want to lose my good stuff.
    Last edited by Gunfixr; 06-21-2012 at 03:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunfixr View Post
    A couple years ago, I was given 350rds of .45acp ammo by a friend. It had sat in his father's flooded basement after a hurricane. As floodwaters are salt water, the ammo was somewhat corroded, with some being not bad, and some looked like it'd come out of a boat bilge. He figured I'd pull the bullets, tumble them and use them, scrap the rest.
    Wrong.
    I took Scotchbrite and cleaned off the built up corrosion to where the worst ones would chamber, and shot them. In competition, no less. Every one went off on the first hit. The bullets went where I pointed the pistol. I didn't get enough of the corrosion off some of them, and they didn't fully chamber, but one whack on the back of the slide with the heel of my hand sent them home.
    Some of the other shooters were kinda freaked out, looking at my rotten ammo, but hey, most competitions are "lost brass" events, and I didn't want to lose my good stuff.
    I did much the same thing at a school I attended last summer.
    I was low on shotgun ammo and wound up shooting up a large mix of very varied 12 gauge stuff, from old paper hulled stuff to much newer stuff. Almost all of it fired when the trigger was pulled.
    Only towards the end of the day did I run into anything that would fire when needed, and it wasn't based on a particular brand or type of ammo that I'd transitioned to by that point. Had some neat fireballs at a couple of times in the day from some of the oldest stuff.......

Quote Originally Posted by cwconnertx View Post
    Have you ever carried two rifles and a shotgun? Its not so easy, then you have several types of ammo unless the rifles are the same, but shotgun ammo is heavy too.

I used to think I'd carry several of my weapons, but after taking a little hike with them packed I decided that made no sense. Just have a good primary and a handgun.

In some situations I can see taking my 10/22 takedown as well. Of course all of this is assuming I end up solo, hopefully I can get my team together before I have to go into
    a fight.
    yes the shot gun is heavy but i also got my oldest who is 11 and very able bodied along with the wife i am not leaving the guns ta hell with the nonsense i will not be leaving the weapons. food is priority 1 and the creek is spring fed and we are following it up so drinking water even in winter is not a issue food will be but the guns provide some security as far as food is concerned i mean we will be taking at least a weeks worth of cans and noodles rice whatever but i am sayign stuff your coat the lining it will help carry more and allow it to be on your shoulders and not around your waist