Quote Originally Posted by Gunfixr View Post
A couple years ago, I was given 350rds of .45acp ammo by a friend. It had sat in his father's flooded basement after a hurricane. As floodwaters are salt water, the ammo was somewhat corroded, with some being not bad, and some looked like it'd come out of a boat bilge. He figured I'd pull the bullets, tumble them and use them, scrap the rest.
Wrong.
I took Scotchbrite and cleaned off the built up corrosion to where the worst ones would chamber, and shot them. In competition, no less. Every one went off on the first hit. The bullets went where I pointed the pistol. I didn't get enough of the corrosion off some of them, and they didn't fully chamber, but one whack on the back of the slide with the heel of my hand sent them home.
Some of the other shooters were kinda freaked out, looking at my rotten ammo, but hey, most competitions are "lost brass" events, and I didn't want to lose my good stuff.
I did much the same thing at a school I attended last summer.
I was low on shotgun ammo and wound up shooting up a large mix of very varied 12 gauge stuff, from old paper hulled stuff to much newer stuff. Almost all of it fired when the trigger was pulled.
Only towards the end of the day did I run into anything that would fire when needed, and it wasn't based on a particular brand or type of ammo that I'd transitioned to by that point. Had some neat fireballs at a couple of times in the day from some of the oldest stuff.......