Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Logistics of re-supply at the fighting load out level

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

Logistics of re-supply at the fighting load out level

Ok, so... Lots of us have a 1st, 2nd, and TEOTWAWKI combat load out. Example: mine is 1st line - pistol style belt with drop leg holster, 4 pistol mags, BOK, multi tool, light holster, roll up dump pouch, and 2-20 round AK mags, built on the bump in the night that takes me outdoors, or a working around the BOL type situation it's minimal for the rifle because it's primarily focused on pistol. 2nd line - plate carrier with cummerbund removed for weight elimination (no side armor right now, and none coming anytime soon) cumberbund is setup with GP pouch and can be re-attached without removal of pouches since the pouch is on my weak side, the PC has 3-30 round AK mags, which gives me 130 x39 rounds with the 1st line, and 4 17 round pistol mags up front. The PC stays clean at the back in case it has to be worn in a vehicle. That's very likely plenty if SHTF today, but.... What about SHTF Day +1? I've got enough ammo to last till my luck runs out stored here, and at the BOL, but if one has to go on foot, or is literally over run and can't get out with much, assuming you don't have a cache nearby, and your BOB is lightly configured for re-supply due to size, and weight constraints of other mission critical gear, how have you planned to carry extra ammo? I don't see a lot of mention of additional carrying methods for re-supply. If I gotta take the Nike Express, my plan is pretty ghetto, pad the handle of a .50 can, sling my rifle, and carry it. I met a guy who went into Panama to take an " un-defended target" and was out of ammo in the first few minutes when the standard load out wasn't enough. I'm not planning to go toe to toe with an army, but expecting the unexpected is probably a good idea.

Anybody have an ingenious idea? Exclude "extra ammo" in your BOB, I have that too.

Talk amongst yourselves.
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    So far I have one cache, but it's not here in the city. Sooner or later, someone would inadvertently find it. So it's kind of far away for on foot.

This is one of the reasons I have so many different weapons. Even if all of us used the same weapon type, and carried the same ammo, we'd all run out. With different calibers, our chances of "field pickup" increase greatly. "Field pickup" isn't something I wanted to rely on, for it is not reliable, but unless there will be someplace to acquire it on some sort of business or trade proposition, it is the only method, since we won't have a resupply train.

It's also why, even though I have some pretty nice weapons, only a few of them are really tricked out. I may be forced to ditch any of them in the event I keep finding ammo for something else. I will just take a matching weapon also. For this reason, I study different systems, and can run most things likely to be encountered, and many that are not.

This guy has "some" flashlights. Just a couple. As in, a metric-butt ton of em.

The BOL is 3 days by foot....we have cashes along the way.

We have radios....and pre-determined pick up points and way to mark said points as being occupied for retrieval.(example: first cashe has a radio with a true 7 mile range....and reflective stickers to place on road signs....if a retrieval team sees the sticker....they know the pick up point is occupied....they signal....we signal...we meet and go to BOL.

This may seem a bit extreme....but we have families....i.e. kids....and a forced march for them is not always an option.

Once a year....the family who would be picked up on the route....rotate the batteries and MREs in the cash...for they are the ones who picked their location and contents. I keep 2 boxes of 100rd bulk 9mm...along with 5 MREs....and 2 sets of batts for the radio.

I have rotated twice.

I pray I'll have my BOB if we have to hoof it.
    The Difference Between a Welfare State and a Totalitarian State is a Matter of Time.

GunnerMax
    I can run with 16 mags on my setup, with a dropleg, and 1 in the gun. I can run ammo heavy, or ammo light. I am planning on stripper clips for my buttpack to hold extra ammo. There is a reason I run mag heavy

NVG....totally a work deduction!

I have 2 conversion kits for both my rifle and pistol (ar15 and glock19) for an extended bug out on foot, I'll end up using 22 in one or both since I can carry 1000 rounds of 22, but not 5.56 or 9mm. I know I just can't hump 50 pounds of ammo and other things I might need.

Thinks it might be German

This is a great topic! I've already learned a lot and we're just 5 posts in.
    This is an area that I need to concentrate on. I have a lot of LBE, and one PC with only IIA soft armor. I think I've neglected organizing this aspect of my preps due to my "Bug in" mindset. Even knowing full well that there will be a time when we must venture out for whatever reason....
    I'm now inspired. Thanks for this thread!
    Last edited by slowz1k; 06-18-2012 at 01:38 PM.
    The 12 Gauge... It's not just for rabbits anymore.

Do you have a robot?
    My truck is fully outfitted with most of the things that I would need to bug out for an extended period. I am constantly revising and adding material. The problem with being ammo heavy with your BOB is that it leaves little room for food and water. I see food and water as being priority along with weapons I try to balance them out. One thing that I look at is, when it does hit the fan, I have several "plan Bs" that will allow me to travel and refurbish ammo, so food and water is more important

NVG....totally a work deduction!

Quote Originally Posted by realist View Post
    My truck is fully outfitted with most of the things that I would need to bug out for an extended period. I am constantly revising and adding material. The problem with being ammo heavy with your BOB is that it leaves little room for food and water. I see food and water as being priority along with weapons I try to balance them out. One thing that I look at is, when it does hit the fan, I have several "plan Bs" that will allow me to travel and refurbish ammo, so food and water is more important
    I have more ways to get food than ammo; and if I need ammo in a hurry its a bigger emergency than needing food.

Plus... sadly... i probably have a 2-3week emergency supply of food stored around my waist

I think in a bug out situation I can probably get food easier than ammo. But we are talking about a fighting load here, and to me ammo beats out food in a fight. At least in the short term.

If we are talking taking on an army i am strategically located cliffs on both sides one way in or out its a pinch point so buggin in is the best bet. but leaving will eventually happen and the rear is best way out for us. i am taking 2 rifles and my shot gun no auto matic weapons but the shot gun has plenty of buck shot and one round at a time will suppress alot of people. i have stuffed my winter coat with ammo so it is wear able and able to carry a thousand rounds while still being able to carry a tent food small amount of water and basic bug out supplies.

This guy has "some" flashlights. Just a couple. As in, a metric-butt ton of em.

Quote Originally Posted by tompnoid View Post
    If we are talking taking on an army i am strategically located cliffs on both sides one way in or out its a pinch point so buggin in is the best bet. but leaving will eventually happen and the rear is best way out for us. i am taking 2 rifles and my shot gun no auto matic weapons but the shot gun has plenty of buck shot and one round at a time will suppress alot of people. i have stuffed my winter coat with ammo so it is wear able and able to carry a thousand rounds while still being able to carry a tent food small amount of water and basic bug out supplies.
    If it were me....I'd loose the extra guns....do a primary and a secondary.....and carry more food.....but that's just me...
    The Difference Between a Welfare State and a Totalitarian State is a Matter of Time.