Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Learning how to use herbs

A laugh a minute

Learning how to use herbs

Here is a link for those of you who want to learn about using herbs. you can take the free e-course and download a free e-book also. this is a very good link to start learning herbs and their uses.

Free Home Remedies and Simple Herbal Medicine Making

- - - Updated - - -

Here is a recipe that I make for headaches.

It is a 2 step method. 1 tsp of each. Cloves, Cinnamon, and almonds. mix together and take 3 deep sniff's of it. Then mix it with warm water and make a paste to rub where your head hurts. Always rub it into your temples.
    I am me,
    I am free,
    You can not change me.

If you try, you will see,
    That I am unchangeable,
    Because I am me.

I'll most likely shit myself

Thanks for the link Taz. I just downloaded the Ebooks. Look like a lot of good info at first glance. I hope for at least one of us to get time to do the course as well. Try and figure out how to replace some of our meds at some point. Stay healthier in general.

A laugh a minute
    Here are some of the herbal medicine that I have on hand in arms reach. I have written my own herb medical book and these are from it. If you can not get these plants or herbs, here is a link where you can get them. But I would try to get them from a herb store if you have one in your town.
    Bulk organic herbs, spices & essential oils from Mountain Rose Herbs
    I try to grow all my plants for my medicines that I make. I also find what is growing wild

Herbal Home Remedy Recipes to have on Hand and use them.

1. Tinctures

Equal Parts of plant material and 80 proof of alcohol. Vodka, brandy, or rum. ( 2 cups of herb and 2 cups of alcohol makes 12 oz. of tincture) Standard dose is 1 to 2 drops of 20% alcohol tinctul re for every 5 pounds of body weight, placed in an 8-oz. cup of water.

Digestive Bitters
    Pregnant women looking to ease morning sickness should leave out the ginger. Instead as a little ginger as a food flavoring. It will still help pregnant women when used as a food; it should be used in moderation as a medicine as it may stimulate uterine activity in the early stages of pregnancy. It’s also nice for colic, colds or flu’s that affect the digestive system for extreme nausea, take only 1 tsp. of the standard dose diluted in a cup of water every 10 min.; most of the time this small amount can be kept down. This also makes a nice blend to a herbal wine or syrup.

1 part catnip bud or leaf (calms nervous stomach)
    1 part grated gingerroot (dispels indigestion, flatulence,, nausea)
    1 part fall-gathered dandelion root (aids in the absorption of food)
    1 part mallow root (soothes the digestive tract)
    This blend stimulates appetite, aids digestion and reduces nausea.

Rejuvenating Female Tonic

This tonic helps maintain and build the body’s strength before and after pregnancy, during nursing, through menopause and after a miscarriage or abortion; it also eases chronic menstrual cramping.
    ½ part
    ½ part borage leaf (maintains adrenal health)
    ½ part lemon balm leaf (lifts spirits)
    2 parts fresh raspberry leaf (strengthens female reproductive systems)
    1 part violet blossom and leaf ( tonic to whole system)
    1 part burdock root (promotes liver function)
    1 part plantain leaf (nourishing and soothing to internal membranes)

Cold Season Remedy

This tastes like medicine, though pleasantly so. You can sweeten with honey and add lemon As soon as everyone around you is getting sick start dosing yourself with this along with a clove of garlic or two. This is one tincture you always try t have on hand.

½ part inner poplar bark (anti inflammatory and pain reliever)
    ½ part mullein leaf (helps prevent clod from setting into lungs)
    1 part thyme leaf (antiviral and antibiotic)
    1 part lemon balm leaf (lifts spirit)
    1 part mallow root (soothes inflamed tissues and serves as expectorant)
    1 part violet leaf and flower (soothes inflamed tissues and serves as expectorant)
    1 part peppermint (reduces nausea and fever, works as stimulant)

Diarrhea or Dysentery Blend

Have this ready at all times as diarrhea can come on quickly and severely at times with danger of dehydration. This formula helps stop the runs and prevents the electrolyte imbalance that can result from severe dehydration. To administer, take small sips of the standard dose with a tbs. of vinegar added to it.

2 parts blackberry root
    1 part alfalfa leaf (helps replace lost minerals)
    1 part mallow root (soothes irritation tissues)
    1 part red rose petal (astringent)

Less Stress Blend

This blend helps the body to cope with stress while simultaneously calming the nervous system and easing depression.
    Besides taking this blend rich in oat straw, try to eat lots of foods containing oats, which nourish the nervous system.

1 part fresh young strawberry leaf (contains a rich source of vitamins especially vitamin C)
    1 part lemon balm leaf (uplifts spirits)
    2 parts St. John’s Wart blossom (combats depression)
    1 part lavender blossom (combats nervous exhaustion)
    2 parts green oat straw (nourishes the nervous system)
    ¼ part crushed borage seeds (maintains adrenal health)
    ¼ part crushed plantain seeds (high in vitamin C and soothes irritated tissues)

Skin Wash

For external use only; this tincture could be made with less expensive rubbing or isopropyl alcohol, or with vinegar.
    Dilute to the standard dose with water and use topical application for all manner of skin parasites, fungi, poison ivy, impetigo, or other irritated, wet, itchy skin conditions.

2 parts black or white walnut leaf (antifungal and antiseptic)
    1 part rose leaf (astringent)
    1 part St. Johns Wart blossom (promotes rapid healing)
    1 part thyme leaf (antiseptic)

For Headaches
    For a soothing tea bag put 4 tbsp. each of dried marjoram, lavender, betony, rose petals, rose leaf, and add a few cloves, in a packet. I suggest that you make up several packets at one time so you will have them handy when you need them.
    Whenever you see symptoms coming on,, hold the sachet to your nose and breathe in its scent.
    I am me,
    I am free,
    You can not change me.

That I am unchangeable,
    Because I am me.

A laugh a minute
    Here is a free pdf link for Plant Healer Magazine. If you are interested in Herbal Medicine. I will also put the link up in the PDF files section. This Lady really knows her stuff. Herbalist Kiva Rose,

Contents:

The Healing Forest: Tree Medicine For The Folk Herbalist by Ananda Wilson

Hawthorn Profile by Henriette Kress

Differentiating Herbal Actions and Properties by Jim McDonald

A Traditional Foods Pantry: Stocking and Storing Foods of Medicine and Connection by Loba

I am me,
    I am free,
    You can not change me.

That I am unchangeable,
    Because I am me.

Where's the epi?

Taz can you tell me when using fresh ginger, can the skin be left on or does it have to be peeled before shredding? I have been peeling it and cutting a small amount that I need and of course shredding my knuckles along with the ginger. Figured there has to be an easier way. I usually buy a large root so it's hard to just peel a small section on the root and shred, ya about have to cut off the amount you need first. Thanks twin.
    I apologize for nothing...

A laugh a minute
    You are doing it right Lady, peel it, cut off what you need. Don't try to use a big grater tho. Get one that is small. I use a hand held one for radishes, garlic and such. It has a little cup that you drop what you want in and put the lid on ,press down while sliding it back and forth. It is for slicing and grading.
    I am me,
    I am free,
    You can not change me.

That I am unchangeable,
    Because I am me.

I'll most likely shit myself

We use one like this for small things. Works well for nutmeg as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Microplane-400.../dp/B00004S7V8

A laugh a minute
    This is the one I use and they are a good company, fairly cheap.

http://www.gourmac.com/garslic.html

I am me,
    I am free,
    You can not change me.

That I am unchangeable,
    Because I am me.

A laugh a minute
    ~ Natural Health, Herbal Medicine and Spirit Healing the Wise Woman Way ~
    Don't let the name fool you. It is not just for women, it is for everyone. Here is just a sample of what is about.

~ Natural Health, Herbal Medicine and Spirit Healing the Wise Woman Way ~

BookShop | Calendar | Facebook | Youtube | Ezine | Articles | Weblog | Forum | Radio | Contact
    4000+ Pages of Complementary Integrative Health Resources for Women & Men

Susun Weed, herbalist and author of women's health books, invites you to rediscover the Wise Woman Tradition, herbal medicine healing, and how to make home remedies.
    Visit the Natural Health BOOK & GIFTSHOP

butterflyAug 31 - Sept 2: Floyd Yoga Jam, Willis, VAbutterfly
    butterflySept 7-9: Goddess Festival, Californiabutterfly
    butterflySept 11: Shamanic Herbal Apprenticeship, Autumn Group beginsbutterflySept 14: Moonlodgebutterfly
    butterflySept 15: Magical Plants with Susun WeedbutterflySept 16: Herbal Medicine Chest with Susun Weedbutterfly

http://www.susunweed.com/
    I am me,
    I am free,
    You can not change me.

That I am unchangeable,
    Because I am me.

A laugh a minute
    Here is a link to a recipe for making a body scrub. I am going to add this one to my herbs list of thinks to make.
    ( Something about it)

Vanilla Mint Honey Scrub
    This body scrub is so easy to make and smells amazing. It leaves your skin feeling refreshed but not too minty as the soft vanilla bean aroma lightly perfumes your skin. Honey is a luxurious ingredient that helps moisturize, nourish, and protect the skin with its antioxidant, antimicrobial, and humectant properties. In fact, I love to use honey alone as a face mask several times a month. If you’re collecting recipes for this year’s herbal handmade holiday gifts, this one will be perfect for the vanilla lovers out there.

http://mountainroseblog.com/vanilla-mint-honey-scrub/
    I am me,
    I am free,
    You can not change me.

That I am unchangeable,
    Because I am me.