Thread: Rafts

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Rafts

Looking at the picture of me and some coworkers white water rafting got me to thinking.....

Anybody in a situation near a body of water, white or otherwise, where a raft is a suitable mode of transportation or rapid evacuation?

Cheap, quiet, doesn't use fuel and can carry supplies. Course if you puncture one it sucks.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

That's a good question. I'm not far from a waterway (Cincinnati) but I don't know if I would choose that mode of transportation. IMO it could be to costly, one unlucky hole and your done along with your gear. If I had to choose that route I think I would at least try to get my hands on a stronger vessel. Of course, if that's all you have then good luck.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

I'll most likely shit myself

I don't have one, however between work and home a two rivers one maybe 50 yards across. The other i typically cross at a dam where the river is 100-150 yards across or i could cross the lake further upstream and come out close to the house. I'm guessing here but at that point the lake may be hamlf a mile wide or so. Some type of raft just for getting me home is a real consideration. It is something i have been trying to work out for 3-4 years now.

Bacon Spam

I think a guy tried to cross Tampa Bay in a raft once................once

For the Love of Cats

If I needed to get to my secondary bug out location, I could take a raft about 1/2 way there, but I'd have some mighty big water to traverse (Lake Winnipeg). But then I'd have the other 1/2 way to go UP another waterway. Rather than a raft, I'd just take a couple of canoes. But they would work
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Do you have a robot?
    Rafts are good if you have moving water. Across a large body of water I agree with Sniper I would want a canoe or kayak. Now a raft with a motor is another thing. I would take a rigid hull Zodiac any day with a nice motor.

Might send you the Swedish Vacu-pump 2000 when you've already said it's not your bag
    Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    Cheap, quiet, doesn't use fuel and can carry supplies. Course if you puncture one it sucks.
    Duct tape...it's the hanyman's secret weapon! Depending on the puncture...

Watch one, Do one, Teach one
    Sailboat,use sail or kite.ALA Water world.Modren Survival rafts now carry sails,used them they work well.
    "When the world is at peace, a gentleman keeps his sword by his side"