Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fun with Paracord

Crotch Rocket

Fun with Paracord

I can't remember if this has come up anywhere, but since I've been working with it lately I figured I'd see what some other folks have done. Thus far I've woven a wallet lanyard, two bracelets, and tied two monkey's fists.

I used the monkey's fist pictured to give my hitch a more finished appearance. Besides that its fun to smack people with.

I know the hitch as a cherry knot. Its a double loop hitch that attaches a branch line to a main line - in this case, my belt. It makes for an effective attachment method,

The other monkey's fist I made is in red. I saw a mod I like for an HSGI bleeder pouch, and I'm going to use the red fist as a pull on the buckles that mod uses.

The other bracelet I made (for a sister) is actually 4 colors. Red, orange, yellow, and green. I fused all 4 lines directly to a buckle so I wouldn't need to make any loops like you normally would. I also altered the weave so the two core lines could alternate coming above the center weave. To do so I made sure I ran the line I was crossing over the top UNDER the core line opposite the side I was coming from.

Am I making sense there, or is it clear as mud?

Anyway, its been fun. Anybody else get into it?

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

A buddy of mine uses a borosilicate (Pyrex) ball on his monkey fists, it'll bounce off concrete, and goes right thru TSA. He uses his under his belt to secure an iPad case (he developed and manufactures the one larue tactical sells) his have an HK sling clip on em' too.
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.

This guy has "some" flashlights. Just a couple. As in, a metric-butt ton of em.

I love monkeys fist.....a pop on the grape means crayons for Christmas....
    The Difference Between a Welfare State and a Totalitarian State is a Matter of Time.

Crotch Rocket

Fun with Paracord

I tried loading mine with a lead sinker. It fell out while I was working it once too often for my patience that day. I think a glass or ceramic ball (gotta look into pyrex now) will be just the thing in the future though.

As for my 4 color bracelet, a picture is worth 1,000 words

A bit too loud for my tastes (excepting the whistle in the buckle) but she should like it.
    Last edited by mitunnelrat; 07-08-2012 at 09:20 PM.

Does NOT use a snake bit sucker kit on snake bits

Nice work!!! All your knots are straight and uniform and the colors are great for a female. A tan, green and black would look good for a guy..
    You don't need to be the strongest
    or the most intelligent to survive
    but by having the right tools and
    the adaptability of change
    is where you will prevail.

Crotch Rocket

Thanks, there's a couple "hiccups" in it, but its a fairly loose weave and the red will shift some. I'm not likely to do a pattern like that again, but it'll be ok for this one.

I am familiar with hemp jewelry, but where would I find paracord? Does it weave the same as hemp? Also, mitunnelrat, you may have a friend in high places when it comes to glass balls/beads. I have a glass setup and soon will have a studio (again) so I can start creating..

Crotch Rocket

Quote Originally Posted by torchgoddess View Post
    I am familiar with hemp jewelry, but where would I find paracord? Does it weave the same as hemp? Also, mitunnelrat, you may have a friend in high places when it comes to glass balls/beads. I have a glass setup and soon will have a studio (again) so I can start creating..
    I don't know how it compares to hemp, but it should be pretty easy for you to find. I try to buy locally when I can, so I go to M&R Surplus. If local shops come up short, or you prefer ordering online, there's also www.supplycaptain.com

And as long as you're ok with me busting your balls it'd be awesome to get a few of different sizes to try out. I'd love to have the monkey's fist as a discrete weapon. Right now its too light, and people laugh too much as I hit them with it...

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

Quote Originally Posted by torchgoddess View Post
    That's cool, I used to do a lot of lampwork with mostly moretti rods. I still have my oxy-propane setup, and a ton of rods. I need a place to make stuff again.
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.

For the Love of Cats

Quote Originally Posted by mitunnelrat View Post
    ... Right now its too light, and people laugh too much as I hit them with it...
    Go to a bearing supply store, you can buy individual steel ball bearings of whatever size you want. I guarantee if you wrap up a couple of 1" steel balls, the laughter will stop!
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.