Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Storage Addition to House

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Quote Originally Posted by LUNCHBOX View Post
    Stig, I remember my days in Miss, It seemed no one had a basement around us but everyone had shelters in the side of a hill (makes so much sense) Oh weel, it looked like you have a decent attic or at least some space up there. Have you used any of it or am I just reading to much in to it? Maybe a drop-down step latter of elevator....
    Good eye....there is a large amount of attic storage space already and I can easily double that with a couple sheets of plywood.

Right now I've only got non-critical items up there for a couple reasons. First is its' about 1,000,000,000F up there in the summer time. The other is security. I'd hate for my roof to be damaged in a storm and ruin something critical.

That said, it's an excellent place for non-perishable items or bulky items.

Next step is the building of a legit shed for more storage.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

A laugh a minute
    I hope you hugged Mrs. Stig for the Idea and Yes you are a great guy for listening to her suggestion. Teamwork is a great thing. Now go look at the rest of the house for wasted space that the builder left. If you have a walk in closet or a large one, look to see if you can make a secret room to hide in if an intruder comes in. I had a master bedroom large closest in one of my houses that I put a small room in so the kids had a place to hide just in case. Looks great, way to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I am me,
    I am free,
    You can not change me.

If you try, you will see,
    That I am unchangeable,
    Because I am me.

Where's the epi?

Stig you can always have more roof vents added if there isn't enough air flow up there in order to help drop the temp a bit, add some blow in insulation under your plywood before you lay your plywood and it will make a big difference winter and summer (just have to cover the vents with plastic - from the inside during the winter so it helps keep the heat in). We did that with ours - blew 16" insulation everywhere, dh laid plywood only in the areas he wanted to put stuff though or we could have a HUGE space up there. I think if we were going to stay here I would even add insulation on the ceiling and put drywall up and that would make it kickass for storage. If your space isn't super big you could do that and create a great space for stuff like toilet paper, paper towels, napkins, paper plates,..stuff that you buy in bulk and don't plan on using until shtf and won't go bad. You could even take them out of the plastic and get some tubs and repack them so they are all nice and neat and won't be falling over plus if mice get up there they won't nest in it.
    I am sooooo looking forward to a new house that we can actually get the stuff we want for prepping. I think it's so much easier to do it from the beginning instead of trying to fit prepping into a house someone else already built.
    I apologize for nothing...