Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How creative can you be and stay realistic?

Where's the epi?

How creative can you be and stay realistic?

I got to thinking about the old show "McGyver" (probably spelled wrong) and wondered if you guys and gals have a list of things/projects that you can make in a pinch instead of buying something. I'm looking for things that are creative yet REALISTIC. Don't throw stuff out here that people can't easliy get the materials or it takes a rocket scientist to figure out what you are trying to say. Remember we don't all have mechanical minds and some have kids/teenagers that may have to help so if things can be broken down to explain to a younger generation that may have to help put your "invention" haha together.
    Look forward to seeing what ya'll come up with!!
    I apologize for nothing...

This guy has "some" flashlights. Just a couple. As in, a metric-butt ton of em.

2 runs of paracord.....between trees..... twisted up taunt for a cloths line.....tuck the edges of clothing into twist....no pins needed.

- - - Updated - - -

The Difference Between a Welfare State and a Totalitarian State is a Matter of Time.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

The Difference Between a Welfare State and a Totalitarian State is a Matter of Time.

Claptrap's Problem Solver

FANTASTIC THREAD

Looking forward to seeing what great ideas people share.

I'll have to think through this one. Sadly, I'm more of a "buy what I need" kinda guy and then improvise as needed.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

A laugh a minute

How to Make a Fly Trap

Instructions

Materials

2 liter plastic soda bottles (have students bring these to class)
    Heavy scissors
    24" lengths of string
    Hole punch
    Bait: Raw meat soaked in a small amount of water (or old beer); old piece of fruit, like ripe banana
    Cotton ball

Making the Fly Trap
    (For student participation, have all elements prepared for assemblyÐdepending on abilities)

Using 2 liter plastic soda bottles, remove label and rinse out with water.
    With heavy scissors separate the top of the bottle from the bottom (see diagram). The cut may need to be started with a razor blade or knife.
    Invert the top into the bottom part of the bottle.
    On opposite sides of the container, punch holes using a hole punch.
    Lace 24" of string through the holes and tie with a secure knot to create a hanger, or use string with paper clips attached to each end if students are not ready to tie the string.

Trapping Flies

To add the bait, slide the top up the string and drop in bait. If your bait is runny, place a piece of paper (or wire screen) under the bait so that insects do not drown.
    Set trap in a tree so that rodents (or children) will not be enticed. To protect the flies from heat stress, place the trap in a shaded area. Depending on the weather, season, the bait and the amount of time the trap is left outside, the trap may attract other insects. Be watchful for honey bees.

Handling Flies

After retrieving the trap, place it in a refrigerator or ice chest (with ice) for one hour until the flies fall to the bottom. Prolonged chilling may kill them. All the insects in the trap will be chilled and not fly away. Work quickly as the insects may recover rapidly. At this time, separate the flies and other insects from the bait and dispose of bait appropriately. You can handle the insects with tweezers being careful not to pinch off wings, legs or squeezing them too hard. Release other insects outside and place flies in observation chamber and leave at room temperature to resume normal activity.
    After completing the observation and activity, release the flies. If you need to use flies for experiments the next day, place a piece of apple or wet raisins in the container for the adult flies.
    I am me,
    I am free,
    You can not change me.

If you try, you will see,
    That I am unchangeable,
    Because I am me.

A laugh a minute
    I have made these and they are simple and fun for kids to make and they work

DIY Fish Or Crayfish Trap using a 2-liter bottle

Have you ever tried to catch a particularly feisty fish in an aquarium that is heavily planted or full of delicate live rock? If the answer is yes, then read on! This article will teach you how to make an aquarium safe fish trap. This simple, but clever DIY fish trap will help you catch a delicate fish with no damage to aquarium life or the fish itself.

What you will need:

A 2-liter bottle

A tool to cut the 2-liter bottle

A bit of fish food that is highly favored by the fish you are attemping to capture

Directions

Start by cutting the top 4.5 inches off of the 2-liter bottle. If your fish is too large to fit into the screw top area, cut off the screw top off the bottle to make a large enough openeing for your fish to swim into. The red lines in the diagram to the right show where to cut.

If you needed to cut the screw top off of the bottle you can discard that portion. The top part should now form a funnel. Invert this funnel and insert it into the bottom portion of the bottle. It may be neccesary to make a cut in the bottom portion of the bottle to fit the funnel inside it.

The DIY fish trap construction is now complete.

Setting the fish trap

Place some food in the fish trap, and submerge it in your aquarium. You may have to take the funnel back out to ensure the trap gets full of water. If you need to sink the fish trap to the bottom, you can put a little aquarium gravel from the tank inside the trap. Just leave the fish trap in the aquarium until the hungry little fish you want to catch swins right in!

Here is a diagram of the completed fish trap:

- - - Updated - - -

This simple type of trap can be used for fish, any type of flying bug, even crawling bugs in the garden. Just use a different kind of bait.
    I am me,
    I am free,
    You can not change me.

If you try, you will see,
    That I am unchangeable,
    Because I am me.

Where's the epi?

These are awesome you guys!!!
    Echo I love the hand washing rack...that is soooooooooo practical out in the woods especially when it's dry and everything is dust.

old plastic peanut butter jar .....1/4" hole drilled in top....place paracord in jar....thread inside loop out hole....dispenser.

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

28 pounds of fertilizer.............7 pounds sugar...........

Oh....wait.......

Nevermind

You didn't really think I was going to finish the thought did you?
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Where's the epi?

Oh right, that kind deserves a pm huh?