Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Critique my setup please

GunnerMax
    Ok, I did some tweaking. I took your comments to heart. I took out the front row of AK mags, and now I have a single row of 6 mags, plus one in the gun. so 210 rounds, with the option of refilling the empty 6 slots.

I do have a dual pistol mag pouch on my weak side, and one on my strong side. 2 reasons for this. 1, I ran out of room on the weak side, and 2, I leave myself open for use of my gun on my weak side, and strong side reloads.

I took the mag pouches off of the TT dump pouch. I added a old Alice pouch with 2 Izzy bandages right over the pistol holster. I also added a pouch for my folding CRKT, because when its extended, it is a fixed blade bit of whoopass. I added my Leatherman MUT just next to my buttpack. I added a pistol Lanyard, with the quick release hook.

I took all 5 pistol mag pouches off of the vest, and put 2 back on it, on my left side above the rifle mag pouches, near the centerline.

So, total of 7 pistol and 7 rifle mags. I took off my SOG axe, because it will be a pain to have that on and my BOB/INCH bag, which I am pimping out now. I will decide on a better system to have that on my setup somehow.

Thats it for now.

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    Sounds good. Don't know if you'll ever need 7 pistol mags, but it is your setup. I like 4. A friend who is ex-special forces had told me they carried 4 (15rds ea.), and not even extra pistol ammo. He said if you were carrying ammo, it should fit the most powerful weapon you have, the rifle. Out of curiosity, how is the pistol carried? I may have just missed it earlier.
    Reason I ask, is that of course you'd want extra pistol ammo in the pack, but after that it's the fighting load.
    So, if your pistol is on the belt, and the mags are on a vest, but you ditch the vest, then the pistol mags are gone. If the pistol is on the vest, and it's ditched, then mags on the belt serve no more function.
    These are things to think about as you figure your layers of gear, and what you still have (and don't) as you may be forced to remove layers.

It's sort of a "what does the belt do" and "what does the vest do" kind of thing. Kind of like 1st line, 2nd line, 3rd line.

Or are they just considered together, and you either have both, or have ditched both? If you ditched both, would you still have the pistol?
    Last edited by Gunfixr; 07-21-2012 at 06:59 PM.

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Quote Originally Posted by Gunfixr View Post
    He said if you were carrying ammo, it should fit the most powerful weapon you have, the rifle.
    Well said. Very well said.

If this is a Mad-Max, never coming home, we've gone all Serba circa 1990's then I'd rather dedicate as much ammo to the main gun as possible over the last line of defense.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

GunnerMax

Newest pics

Pistol mags are light as hell, and I am, right now, more comfortable with my G19 than my AK, which BTW, I tested today with AWESOME success. It is an IO Inc dark earth sporter from royaltigerimports.com (but its a Made in USA rifle). I only could test 45 rounds in it before the cops were called :P But it is a joy to shoot, BUT I find that I am not comfortable using the iron sights at anything more than 20 yards. The sight completely covers a target at more than 20 or so yards, its a crapshoot to hope to hit on target.

Here is an updated pic. It is much more comfortable, lightweight, and maneuverable . I added 2 ziptie handcuffs, which slide out with deliberate force. I figgure they will come in handy.

Oh, I added on my ESS Sawfly pouch. Since I wear glasses, I have the prescription inserts in them. I have a clear lens main lens and a sunglasses lens. Overall awesome. I still need some shears
    Last edited by GunnerMax; 07-22-2012 at 02:43 AM. Reason: wrong format for images