Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mountain House eggs and bacon pouch. 3 stars!

Mountain House eggs and bacon pouch. 3 stars!

I finally got my husband and daughter to try a Mountain House meal. I am basing most of the review on their opinions because I can't stand eggs. First, I followed the directions exactly and there was still a lot of water in the pouch. The bacon pieces are so small that I couldn't avoid pouring some out with the water. We all thought it smelled good, but my husband thought it had an overwhelming fake smoke taste to it. I did notice a huge hit of smoke smell when I opened the bag but then it faded and just smelled like egg. My daughter thought it tasted ok, and she can be a picky eater. It is supposed to be 2 servings, but I would guess it is about 3 scrambled eggs. A bit much for one serving and not enough for two adults unless there is other food. I'm giving it 3 out of 5 because my family will eat it in a pinch, but they won't be asking for it.

[IMG][/IMG]

The plate isn't a dinner plate. It is smaller. I think it is about 7 inches.

Thinks it might be German

Thanks for this! I've always wondered about the MH Eggs.
    The 12 Gauge... It's not just for rabbits anymore.

Queen of the Doom Room
    We have Honeyville eggs and when I cooked them there was also a lot of water. Once the eggs were scrambled I took a paper towel to wick off the remaining water. Other than that...they were fantastic.

A breakfast item that I absolutely love is Honeyville's Sausage Flavored TVP. If you are a fan of Jimmy Dean this stuff tastes *exactly* the same. At one point I was canning Jimmy Dean sausage. No more. This stuff is much easier and takes up much less space than dozens of mason jars.

Thunder Lizard Canning Club Chapter of the Old Farts Society

Justa, try Honeyville's crystallized eggs. A little more expensive but much better for eating. I only use their freeze dried eggs for cooking. I looked online and couldn't find them, but they had them at the Rancho Cucamonga store when I was there last. I'll be going up there soon, so I'll see if they are available still.
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me Liberty or give me death." Patrick Henry, Virginia House of Burgesses, March 23, 1775

Quo Vadis?

Luke 22:36, And he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

emergencyfoodssupplies.com

Queen of the Doom Room
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
    Justa, try Honeyville's crystallized eggs. A little more expensive but much better for eating. I only use their freeze dried eggs for cooking. I looked online and couldn't find them, but they had them at the Rancho Cucamonga store when I was there last. I'll be going up there soon, so I'll see if they are available still.
    Thanks Grumpy but we already have plenty of the freeze dried eggs. We tested a single can before we made the plunge and were happy with them so took the plunge and bought more. It's no biggie to wick a little water off or mix them a little drier. Just takes a little trial and error to get the mix just right.

I'll check the brand, etc when I get home tonight and post it tomorrow. It was recommended to me by one of the faithful at the store here.
    Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me Liberty or give me death." Patrick Henry, Virginia House of Burgesses, March 23, 1775

Quo Vadis?

This guy has "some" flashlights. Just a couple. As in, a metric-butt ton of em.

I've been storing "Providence Pantry" powdered eggs....I tend to mix them a bit dry and add a bit of cheese powder.....fresh onion works wonders....:P
    The Difference Between a Welfare State and a Totalitarian State is a Matter of Time.

Has been known to look at Izzy's trunk. Stares at the junk in Izzy's trunk. Get it...he's checking out Izzy's trunk.

The mountain house red beans and rice also had a ton of extra water after following the directions. They tasted ok but was very runny, not sure if its a brand thing or not.
    “The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.” ~ G.K. Chesterton

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

I've made the MH eggs also, a bit heavy on the salt if your not expecting it (you will need the salt later though) I think they are worth picking up.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

All MH stuff is heavy on salt. This can be beneficial when you're in the high country and you don't realize how many electrolytes you're sweating out (remember MH was originally for backpackers, etc), but when you get older you are sometimes cautioned against excessive sodium, i.e. salt. So I typically go with Honeyville or Provident Pantry as it has less salt. BTW I only use unsalted butter and very seldom season with salt while I am cooking. I only use sea salt after the dish is prepared and everyone can salt to their own taste.

Quo Vadis?