Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Syria, Iran, Israel, Hormuz and Can Evolver Get Home?

Queen of the Doom Room

Syria, Iran, Israel, Hormuz and Can Evolver Get Home?

I wasn't sure where to put this...please move if necessary but leave me a bread trail because I'm easily confused!

Evolver has been in Utah over a month now. We are in the home stretch, another couple weeks to go and he'll be heading home. Things aren't going great for him out there so I don't bombard him with things he can't control or that would cause him unnecessary worry. Even though he has our laptop his participation here has been very limited so I know he's dealing with more issues than what he's telling me about. He's keeping his head down and dealing with the issues directly in front of him.

I'm the news junkie. I'm the one who follows *everything*. I'm pretty level-headed but my radar has been up for a couple of weeks now.

There is sabre-rattling everywhere. Eventually there will be no sabre-rattling. Someone, somewhere, will make a move. You back a snake far enough in to a corner and eventually he's going to strike. Without warning. And families will be separated when that strike happens. Will we be that family?

There's a lot of fine minds with opinions I respect on this board.

My question is...

Should I be worried at this point?

If Iran attempts to close the straight or Israel strikes back against Iran or Syria falls or....whatever...

If things spin out of control over there will it affect our domestic flights? If he was across the border in Georgia or Alabama I wouldn't worry so much but he's over 3,000 miles away. He's with family and I have my parents here but that's not the point. He's my husband. I want to make sure he can come home. Will that be possible if the brown stuff hits the oscillator?

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Justa

Thanks for trusting us enough to share this with us.

I'd been wondering about Evolver and sorry to hear things in Utah have been so hectic.

While I agree there's all sorts of mess brewing in the Middle-East in general and Iran/Syria specifically I don't think it's going to cause a complete, overnight, catastrophic meltdown that prevents your hubby from traveling home. It can definitely go sideways quickly but I don't see it drastically effecting domestic life so quickly that Evolver will be stranded.

Just my $.02. Hope it helps.

ETA: I admire that you are at least considering this this possibility so you can plan for it. I just wouldn't allow it to consume you. Let us know what the colony can do to help out.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

In his experience the hammer head is better

I agree also, even if something does happen it won't be over night. Granted he may not be able to fly but he can drive or take a bus or something. Chances are every mode of transportation will not be shut down. There is always a way. I think chances are good your hubby can get home. It may just take a little while longer than hopping onto a plane and getting right home.

I agree with stig let us know what we can do to help.

Watch one, Do one, Teach one
    I Don't forsee any problems Justa.
    Hang in there.
    "When the world is at peace, a gentleman keeps his sword by his side"

Looking to learn how to spoon....wait....what's that....oh....MAKE spoons
    The only way I see something with Syria or Iran to effect us over here quickly is if Russia/China were to get involved rather fast. But, the fact is I don't see that happening unless something very, very, VERY major happens.

Just my 2 Canadian cents.

I'll most likely shit myself

I'm in agreement, It will take something along the lines of 9/11 to shut down stuff that fast. No way anyone can call that, but something in the mid east is not likely to translate to that type situation very quickly.

Just keep working on things like you have been and any things that might be effected if something over there gets started. I'm sure Evolver has his stuff ready to leave quickly if need be and is keeping an eye on the situation.

I'm not a fine mind by any stretch but I am glad you shared your anxiety with us. That always helps make folks feel better. Let us know what we can do to help out. We are here for you.
    Last edited by bacpacker; 07-20-2012 at 11:08 PM.

Claims to have NEVER worn pink. Likely story.

Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker View Post
    I'm in agreement, It will take something along the lines of 9/11 to shut down stuff that fast. No way anyone can call that, but something in the mid east is not likely to translate to that type situation very quickly.

Just keep working on things like you have been and any things that might be effected if something over there gets started. I'm sure Evolver has his stuff ready to leave quickly if need be and is keeping an eye on the situation.

I'm not a fine mind by any stretch but I am glad you shared your anxiety with us. That always helps make folks feel better. Let us know what we can do to help out. We are here for you.
    I'd just add on to this, even if something does happen, in the ME that is, there will most likely be warning... If it looks bad enough, just get him home as fast as possible, ahead of schedule if possible... Justa, You've got more than just your parents, I can probably speak for a good many of us down here in FL that we will help each other out if it comes to that... Shoot me a PM and we can discuss things...
    It is, of course, obvious that speed, or height of fall, is not in itself injurious ... but a high rate of change of velocity, such as occurs after a 10 story fall onto concrete, is another matter.

Queen of the Doom Room
    Thanks guys.

I've been holding down the fort.

When he travels for extended periods we try to keep it on the down-low even if tid-bits pop out here and there. No sense in "exposing" me as being vulnerable or inviting unnecessary problems. That said, I sleep well and comfortable even if it is with two small dogs and cold steel that makes a big bang. OK, if truth be told, the dogs hog the bed. Who knew a couple of Chihuahua's could take up so much room?! On the good side, they don't have those huge ears for nothing...they can hear a snake slithering across the grass out back so if one of them alerts, I'm awake in a flash, hand on cold steel and at the ready.

My worry was a "Micro" situation.

There's a lot of situations where things affect "every one else"...Macro. I was trying to dial this down to a Micro situation and how it would affect me, personally.

That may sound selfish but when you find yourself alone and things are looking like they are going to sideways you start dialing in closer to home. I wasn't sure what an "event" would do to our transit systems, specifically air travel (barring a 9/11 event).

Thank you for your responses. I think I'll rest a little easier. Sort of. I'll still have to contort around the dogs. They are EVIL-BITCHY when you nudge them at night. I've never seen such sleepy, grumpy beestards in my life!

stark assed naked and butt to nut with no issues
    Justa, I have to echo the comments of everyone else so far. As far as transportation goes, even if the airlines got shut down, there are multiple modes of transportation available besides air. And after all, we are preppers, we always find a way!
    RELIGION IS LIKE A PENIS
    Its fine to have one,
    Its fine to be proud of it,
    But please dont whip it out in public and start waving it around,
    And PLEASE dont try to force it down my children's throats.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.

Resident Seafood Procurement Officer

Agree with all the above comments. Keep in mind, I am in Fort Pierce if you need anything really quick.
    Just because we are peaceful does not mean we have forgotten how to be violent.