Thread: Can you re-use oxygen absorbers

Don't act like you aren't comfortable with him.

Can you re-use oxygen absorbers

I eat a lot of stuff that comes with oxygen absorbers in it. my question is, can I re-use them after I take them out of whatever I was eating, or do they "go bad"?
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought with, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. -Albert Einstein

Claims to have NEVER worn pink. Likely story.

They do go bad after use... So, no they can't be reused unfortunately...
    It is, of course, obvious that speed, or height of fall, is not in itself injurious ... but a high rate of change of velocity, such as occurs after a 10 story fall onto concrete, is another matter.

Resident Seafood Procurement Officer

In support of what Twitchy said. Once the iron is oxidized, its over. Its rust.

Highlights are mine.

An oxygen absorber is a small packet of material used to prolong the shelf life of food. They are used in food packaging to prevent food color change, to stop oils in foods from becoming rancid, and also the growth of oxygen-using aerobic microorganisms such as fungi.

Oxygen supports the growth of microorganisms and causes changes in color and rancid odors in packaged foods. Plastic packaging is less able to exclude oxygen from packaged foods than are the older glass and metal containers. Oxygen absorbers absorb oxygen and effectively reduce the aerobic environment to 0% oxygen. Therefore aerobic bacteria and fungi are unable to grow in this environment. This will extend the shelf life of a food product from 1 week to several months. The advantages of oxygen satchels versus vacuum packaging are that the food products are not crushed or squeezed, as some products are of high value and are fragile, and its simplicity of use.

The packaging itself and the food bag /container seal are crucial for the effectiveness of the oxygen absorber. A minor packaging fault or leak can render the oxygen absorber useless and the contents inside the package will perish. Thus, high barrier packaging (with a low oxygen transmission rate) and efficient seal techniques need to be employed.[1]

Oxygen absorbers are made in different formulations to match the water activity of the foods they are protecting. Some are designed to be used in dry foods such as nuts and dried grains, others with moister foods such as bread and processed meats. In most formulations the active ingredient is iron powder and a little bit of water; other ingredients may be added to make the oxygen absorbers work more efficiently.
    Just because we are peaceful does not mean we have forgotten how to be violent.

Bacon Spam

Quote Originally Posted by TOOTHPICK View Post
    I eat a lot of stuff that comes with oxygen absorbers in it.
    remember the part DO NOT EAT......lol

Where's the epi?

What about those silica packs? They are just moisture absorbers and not for O2 so can be reused right? Should be able to dry them out by putting them in the oven for a shor period of time?
    I apologize for nothing...

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

Toothpick, I think I would just order some and not take the chance.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

Has been known to look at Izzy's trunk. Stares at the junk in Izzy's trunk. Get it...he's checking out Izzy's trunk.

Quote Originally Posted by LUNCHBOX View Post
    Toothpick, I think I would just order some and not take the chance.
    Yeah, stop being a cheap a$$
    “The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.” ~ G.K. Chesterton

Don't act like you aren't comfortable with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
    Yeah, stop being a cheap a$$
    Sorry, I don't make the big "stripe" bucks!
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought with, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones. -Albert Einstein