Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Historical constant to expecting TEOTWAWKI?

Historical constant to expecting TEOTWAWKI?

If this hits on religion or conspiracy theory too much please lock/delete the thread and accept my apology in advance..!

I can't say I've researched this, but I've noticed it in every incident where end-of-the-world scenarios come up, most recently with the author of the 'Preppers are going to die' video (I watched a number of his other videos after the one in that thread): Everyone who suspects the world will end/civilization will collapse seems to expect it to happen within their lifetime.

In each, from the dark ages to present, they feel there are current/developing rationales or religious references to support that it will occur within a few months to a couple decades. While I don't expect humanity to fail I don't disagree there are many ways it could, and more so than any time prior in history, but it certainly doesn't mean it will.

This is my anti-paranoia thought before driving away (& from internet access) for the weekend.

Thoughts?

He's old and grumpy, but not fat. He'll be right back...he has to go tell some kids to get off his lawn

Well actually if you look at the historical context, we've come pretty close a few times. In this country you have the Civil War ( War of Northern Aggression), WW1, and WW2. From a European stand point there is the Barbarian Invasion, the Black Death, WW1, WW2. From a world stand point, the typhoid epidemic, the Influenza epidemic, and WW2. All were major SHTF events that affected large numbers of the world population.

Today , you have a world monetary system that is teetering on the brink. Rampant global unemployment, an petty dictators and religious fanatics threatening to start a conflict that could draw in the major powers.

The biblical perspective not withstanding, anyone familiar with the Revelations of St John will all remember the line " There will be wars, and rumors of war." The world has never been truly at peace for any long period of time, there are always some regional factions fighting with each other. So far the only thing stopping the majors powers from getting involved is the resources to be gained in the event of a new major war.

Just my 2 cents.
    "There are no winners in war, only bigger losers"

If you see me or hear me coming, I'm not doing my job.

There are many levels of "the end of the world. " It could be loss of a job for and older couple/family with no prospect of ever getting another job. It could be a regional disaster that not only wipes out your home and most preps but also your towns around so there is no work to boot.

Then there are the very possible near term disasters such as economic collapse which has happened many times but not on the scale of what we have looming. Or a near miss CME that causes widespread damage but is recoverable. Or the California big quake. In all of the many people will suffer but some will do fine even without prepping.

I agree though that the really brutal collapse of world wide society is something that takes centuries to play out. That is why hard core prepping is more than storing up some number of months or years of consumables. It should include tools, learning skills to use tools to make or repair useful things, having land to have room to make and grow things, and passing on a mind set and lifestyle of self-reliance, personal responsibility, respect for liberty and accepting risks, and charity toward others.

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Quote Originally Posted by NWPilgrim View Post
    There are many levels of "the end of the world. " It could be loss of a job for and older couple/family with no prospect of ever getting another job. It could be a regional disaster that not only wipes out your home and most preps but also your towns around so there is no work to boot.

Then there are the very possible near term disasters such as economic collapse which has happened many times but not on the scale of what we have looming. Or a near miss CME that causes widespread damage but is recoverable. Or the California big quake. In all of the many people will suffer but some will do fine even without prepping.

I agree though that the really brutal collapse of world wide society is something that takes centuries to play out. That is why hard core prepping is more than storing up some number of months or years of consumables. It should include tools, learning skills to use tools to make or repair useful things, having land to have room to make and grow things, and passing on a mind set and lifestyle of self-reliance, personal responsibility, respect for liberty and accepting risks, and charity toward others.
    * Slow Clap *
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

This guy has "some" flashlights. Just a couple. As in, a metric-butt ton of em.

That about sums it up....so many things are happening now....that have never happened before.....

the population numbers are such that it throws a different dynamic into the mix....not to mention the core mentality of that general public...
    The Difference Between a Welfare State and a Totalitarian State is a Matter of Time.

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    * Slow Clap *
    *Standing slow clap*
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

I'll most likely shit myself

Great post NW. That gets a standing ovation!

Echo the population expansion of the last 50 years and the entitlement mentality that has been fostered on this country, and many others, since the 60's has been building steadily. Just in the last 5 years here has a half way point been reached (as many getting as paying in) and it's just a matter of time till the takers run out of folks to take from.

I will not even get into the religious aspect here other than to say this. I've read the end of the book and we WIN utlimately, although things will be worse than at any time in history leading up to that point.

Interesting posts. I suppose Legionarres disease around WWI would be in the list as well.

The population growth curve and JIT logistics combination is what worries me most. I expect to see trouble coming where I live, but a large scale food supply situation can't be dodged as easily..!

Claptrap's Problem Solver

The power outage situation in India could be an interesting case study depending on how things play out.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

Has been known to look at Izzy's trunk. Stares at the junk in Izzy's trunk. Get it...he's checking out Izzy's trunk.

With the majority of people living in or near metropolitan areas and the loss of self sustaining skill sets that our forefather's possessed this could be one of the few times in history that the world as we know it could come crashing down around us. I don't want to be all doom and gloom but imagine if modern technology was suddenly taken away from everyone , it would be a total collapse of society because the majority of people do not know how to feed themselves without modern conveniences like grocery stores and microwaves. Imagine not being able to drive a vehicle, how many people do you think know how to take care of and ride a horse? I don't want to get into every hypothetical situation, but the world of conveniences that we live in could become our downfall in a very short period of time.

I remember grandpa telling us that he did not remember much of the great depression because our family lived on the farm, ate the food that they raised and didn't have much money to begin with. Do you think that many people nowadays could tell that same story to their grandchildren fifty years from now?

Just my. 02 cents
    “The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.” ~ G.K. Chesterton