Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Negligent discharge with injury

In his experience the hammer head is better

Negligent discharge with injury

Hello all this post comes from a hospital bed. Earlier today I was dissembling my pistol I had cleared the gun but put the mag back in cause I was contouring the grip. Needless to say the gun went off...probably my finger in the trigger. I don't remember all those details.

Any who the gun fired. Next thing my fiancée is screaming. I got up to check on her and she had a gsw to the leg. Below the knee through and through. I controlled the bleeding with a few towels. Then she told me I was hit. I had a huge wound in my thigh pouring blood. I tried calling 911 but my phone wouldn't work due to being covered in blood. She called 911 and I went to get a tq and applied it stopping the bleeding. Then I realized my palm was destroyed too.

My co workers arrived and transported us to the trauma center. Luckily she's fine with a few small stitches. The bullet fragmented and she was struck with a 22 sized fragment.

As for me I lost about 500ml of blood. Through and through so I now have lots of stitches. No surgery needed though. Off work for a few weeks.

Moral of the story follow the rules of gun safety. know medical skills and stay calm. I have pics if y'all want to see them. Took them for training.

Stay safe all and thank god someone was watching us.

GunnerMax
    I am glad you both are OK. Stay safe.

This guy has "some" flashlights. Just a couple. As in, a metric-butt ton of em.

Crap...sorry to hear it.

no live ammo in area when cleaning.....period.

Glad no one was killed.

ETA:

I am glad you and her are OK.....but damn man....you just gave the opposing side more statistics in their favor....not to mention pissing a bunch of folks off and turning more folks against guns. Damn......just damn.
    Last edited by Echo2; 07-30-2012 at 10:45 AM.
    The Difference Between a Welfare State and a Totalitarian State is a Matter of Time.

For the Love of Cats

Holy crap! Could have been much worse, glad you kept your head about you. (and too bad you didn't have it about you when you put a full mag in while cleaning!)

I'd be up for seeing some pics if no one objects

Glad you're both ok!
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

I know guys. I was contouring the grip. Put the mag in because it was part of it. And forgot I guess. Pisses me off cause I'm always so safe, some call me anal about it...just a huge brain fart. Knowing she got hit because of me is worse than the pain.

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

I understand you feel bad about what happened. How is the misses taking it? This can change someones perspective on how she might look at guns and that could be bad in the/your long run.

I know you feel bad, glad you guys are ok.

Pics also, private if needed.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

She's fine with it still. Same with her family the're all saying accidents happen and for neither of us to change. I don't plan on it but I know what mistakes I'll never make again.

Here's my wounds. Got no pics of hers. Tq was loosened by the doc. It was amazing to see the bleeding stop when I applied it.

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Saw this originally over on LF. Thanks for posting it here.

Accidents with firearms can, and obviously do happen, so don't beat yourself up over it. Learn and drive on.

Sorry to hear about it bud.

You need us to call in Mitunnelrat to help with mowing the yard and household chores for a while? If so, pop smoke and I'll wind up the helo for the infill.

ETA: Thanks again for sharing this. It takes some chutzpa to post this online (let alone multiple forums) and risk the shit you'll catch to remind others about the inerrant danger of firearms.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

Damn, dude.

Glad you are ok.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.