Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gun Control Efforts Thread - Post all new gun control efforts here

He's old and grumpy, but not fat. He'll be right back...he has to go tell some kids to get off his lawn

Gun Control Efforts Thread - Post all new gun control efforts here

From the WASHINGTO TIMES:

White House spokesman Josh Earnest said Monday that President Obama will "evaluate" a new bill that would ban online ammunition sales in the wake of the shooting massacre in Aurora, Colo. That left 12 dead and dozens more injured.

During the daily press briefing, Mr. Earnest was asked whether Mr. Obama supports the measure, which aims to end sales of unlimited amounts of ammunition on the Internet and other mail orders. The bill also would force ammunition dealers to report large sales of bullets and other munitions to law enforcement authorities

At first Mr. Earnest said he didn't know if Mr. Obama was aware of a bill sponsored by Sen. Frank Lautenberg, Democrat from New Jersey, and Rep. Carolyn McCarthy, a Democrat from New York. He later amended this remarks to say the White House would evaluate the measure.

"The president's view that have been relayed quite frequently over the last few days, you know, is that he believes in the Second Amendment of the Constitution, in the right to bear arms but he also believes that we should take robust steps within existing law to ensure that guns don't fall in the hands of criminals or others [who] shouldn't have them," he said, referring to gun-control comments Mr. Obama made during at speech at the National Urban League.

The reporter followed up by asking whether the president's push for enforcing existing law would prevent him from supporting the bill banning online munition sales.

"Well, like I said, I haven't seen the specific piece of legislation that has been offered up today. But as those — as that and other pieces of legislation make their way through the legislative process, you know, we'll consider — we'll evaluate them as they make their way through the process," he noted.
    "There are no winners in war, only bigger losers"

If you see me or hear me coming, I'm not doing my job.

For the Love of Cats

stock up guys, stock up now!
    Give a man fire, and he'll be warm for a day!
    Light a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Cat's are food... not friends!

If you're going to fight, then fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp into Noah's arc... and brother, it's starting to rain.

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

I'm not so sure it would pass the house, but I've seen crazier stuff................
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

He's old and grumpy, but not fat. He'll be right back...he has to go tell some kids to get off his lawn

here is the AP report:

NEW YORK (AP) — Ten days after the Colorado movie theater massacre, federal lawmakers introduced a bill that would effectively ban people like suspect James Holmes from buying thousands of rounds of ammunition by mail or online.

"It's time to close the loophole that's allowing killers — deranged, insane — and even terrorists to buy ammunition online," said U.S. Sen. Frank Lautenberg of New Jersey.

He was joined Monday on the steps of City Hall in Manhattan by U.S. Rep. Carolyn McCarthy of New York to announce the Stop Online Ammunition Sales Act.

McCarthy's husband was killed and their son paralyzed in 1993 after a gunman opened fire on a Long Island Rail Road train, leaving five others dead.

Lautenberg said he and McCarthy, both Democrats, were "on a mission": to ensure the safety of all Americans by passing legislation that would close loopholes in gun laws allowing people like the suspect in the Aurora, Colo., shootings "to anonymously stockpile for mass murder."

Under the bill, only licensed dealers would be allowed to sell ammunition. They would have to notify a law enforcement official within five business days about any sale of more than 1,000 rounds to an unlicensed person.

The bill also would require buyers who aren't licensed dealers to show a photo ID. And that would mean eye contact with someone purchasing ammunition.

"If you're going to buy these large amounts of ammunition, somebody should see your face," Lautenberg said.

Holmes purchased 6,000 rounds of ammunition online "like you might order shoes or food," Lautenberg said. "He didn't have to interact with another human being who could have noticed his abnormal behavior."

The legislation, to be introduced in Congress this week, was spurred by the Colorado movie theater shooting rampage that killed 12 people and injured more than 50. The suspect, Holmes, was charged Monday with 142 counts in the massacre; he hasn't yet entered a plea.

The July 20 rampage follows other recent mass violence including the 1999 Columbine shootings, the 2007 Virginia Tech massacre and last year's shooting in Tucson that killed six and seriously injured U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords of Arizona.

"We are calling for a national outcry to stop gun violence in this country," McCarthy said.

On the morning after the Aurora killings, McCarthy said, she was brought back "to that moment when your family went through a similar tragedy, and the pain does not go away."

The White House on Monday didn't immediately offer its support to the Democrat-sponsored bill.

"I haven't seen the specific piece of legislation that has been offered up today," White House spokesman Josh Earnest said at the daily briefing, adding that it would be "evaluated."

He said President Barack Obama "believes in the Second Amendment of the Constitution, in the right to bear arms." But the president "also believes that we should take robust steps, within existing law" to address gun issues.

Since the Aurora shootings, one of the most outspoken voices in favor of gun control has been New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg, who is pressing Obama and his Republican challenger Mitt Romney to tackle the issue of gun violence.

Please no political ramblings about this.
    "There are no winners in war, only bigger losers"

If you see me or hear me coming, I'm not doing my job.

This guy has "some" flashlights. Just a couple. As in, a metric-butt ton of em.

Oh Boy.....
    The Difference Between a Welfare State and a Totalitarian State is a Matter of Time.

Do you have a robot?
    So you don't ban guns but you ban the ammo, it is the same thing, all you would have is a wall hanger or a big club.

I'll most likely shit myself

Carolyn McCarthy is a nut case herself. She pops up with this crap all the time. However between this bill and little Chuckie Schumer''s hi cap mag ban. They may sneak one of these thru. I could see that happening easily after the election before the end of the year.

I think that will be the two areas I will hit had over the next month or three. I can always use more ammo and mags don't eat anything just sitting around.

Claims to have NEVER worn pink. Likely story.

Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker View Post
    Carolyn McCarthy is a nut case herself. She pops up with this crap all the time. However between this bill and little Chuckie Schumer''s hi cap mag ban. They may sneak one of these thru. I could see that happening easily after the election before the end of the year.

I think that will be the two areas I will hit had over the next month or three. I can always use more ammo and mags don't eat anything just sitting around.

You know things are bad when you don't even have an assembled gun yet and are looking to get the mags and ammo for it first...
    It is, of course, obvious that speed, or height of fall, is not in itself injurious ... but a high rate of change of velocity, such as occurs after a 10 story fall onto concrete, is another matter.

Claims to have NEVER worn pink. Likely story.

Illinois governor proposes assault weapons ban

Mary Wisniewski Reuters

6:46 p.m. CDT, July 31, 2012

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Illinois Governor Pat Quinn on Tuesday proposed a state ban on assault weapons in the aftermath of the July 20 movie theater massacre in Colorado in which a former graduate student is charged with killing 12 people with guns including a semi-automatic rifle.

Quinn, a Democrat, called himself a "strong supporter" of the constitutional right to bear arms, but said in a letter to state legislators that the proliferation of military-style assault weapons undermines public safety.

"There is no place in the state of Illinois for weapons designed to rapidly fire at human targets at close range," said Quinn, who also proposed a ban on high-capacity ammunition magazines.

States including California, Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Jersey and New York have similar bans in place, Quinn said. A nationwide ban on certain semiautomatic rifles expired in 2004.

Read More: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/s...,3360788.story
    So folks, it seems the amount of legislation to ban, or limit firearms are ramping up... any Illinois residents here to chime in?
    It is, of course, obvious that speed, or height of fall, is not in itself injurious ... but a high rate of change of velocity, such as occurs after a 10 story fall onto concrete, is another matter.

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    Well, crazier things have happened, so maybe.
    But right now, the big political focus is on the economy, and there's been a resurgence in the belief of gun ownership with the populace.

Any politician seeking reelection here in the near future who ignores the economy and goes after the guns or ammo knows they might soon be unemployed.
    And since the sole job of pretty much all politicians for the last few decades has been to maintain their employment status, it's not highly likely.

Not impossible, but definitely not a shoo-in. Might not hurt to stock up anyways, ammo's not getting any cheaper, but I wouldn't do it to the exclusion of other important items, unless you don't have any.