View Poll Results: What would you like to read next?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • The continuation to Fall Out (Vengeance)

5 71.43%
  • A story about Miller's previous adventures

1 14.29%
  • You are a hack, stop it already

1 14.29%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let the readers decide

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Let the readers decide

Ok everybody....Fall Out is clearly coming to an end. Wish the timing had been a little different so more people could have enjoyed it but such is life.

In any event, I am in the process of deciding what to do next. Here are the options:

1) A follow up to Fall Out. I have the basic plot outline worked out and have actually written the opening chapter. It's the same players but 1.5 years later. Suffice it to say life has changed a lot in the country in that time. I think you'll enjoy the twists and turns in this one (let's just say it ain't going to be pretty)....but it's the forth part of the same story. I don't want to bore people.

2) A prequel to everything focusing on what Miller did in his past life. Would be totally new characters in a totally new setting.

Honestly, the prequel interests me very much. I've been mulling that over for a while, and a trusted adviser indicated this might be fun. The problem is I have to come up with a whole new scenario and it has to be one I believe in.

The backdrop to the first three stories was easy because it's based around the areas I've lived in or visited. I can see the location in my minds eye so it's easy to describe.

More importantly, if I drop Miller into the middle of a revolution in the Ukraine (for example), I want it to be believable. I can make up the scenery, but I don't know any of the culture, customs, language or other tidbits that make a story believable. Just calling the bad guy "Yuri" doesn't seem to cut it.

In short, I'd have to do some real research to make the story real (or at least real to me).

So the question becomes this: do I write the follow up to Fall Out now, which would be comparatively easier....or do I delay the introduction of the next story (which excites me more) while I do the ditch-digging to come up with the facts needed to make it believable?

Input from those of you kind enough to read my ramblings would be much appreciated.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

+1 for the prequel. after that, I give you exclusive rights to write my life story.....
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

The source of all known trouble in the universe

Well, I have to admit that I did not read it. Lack of time, I guess.

Thunder Lizard Canning Club Chapter of the Old Farts Society

Is it possible for us to have both? I voted for the continuation only because I had to choose just one. I'm getting greedy in my old age I guess.

Premium Member

SORRY! I had to do it! It was one and one and no one had voted for Hack. I like things to be even / symmetrical. I've not read any of the stories yet but it is on my to do list.
    War is ugly, but to be dominated by aliens is even uglier!

I'll most likely shit myself

I'm in the same boat as Grumpy, I'd love to see both. If that's not possible, I'd proably say "Vengence". Quicker and easier on you, it'll get to us quicker, plus (I assume) it will give closure to the Miller saga. OTOH I would love to read the prequel, that has to be a killer story.

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by bacpacker View Post
    I'm in the same boat as Grumpy, I'd love to see both. If that's not possible, I'd proably say "Vengence". Quicker and easier on you, it'll get to us quicker, plus (I assume) it will give closure to the Miller saga. OTOH I would love to read the prequel, that has to be a killer story.
    This

Premium Member

I just started reading Fallout. I would love to get these in pfd so I could read them on the ipod when I'm not shackled to the computer.
    War is ugly, but to be dominated by aliens is even uglier!

guess i best go read it

He's old and grumpy, but not fat. He'll be right back...he has to go tell some kids to get off his lawn

having read all three installments of the Miller saga, I'd like to see both. the prequel will obiously be research intensive, but we would have the follow up to Fallout to tide us over.
    "There are no winners in war, only bigger losers"

If you see me or hear me coming, I'm not doing my job.