Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are you including the building materials into prepping?

Do you have a robot?
    If you have a gravity flow water system you need pipe, it you have a garden you should have pipe, if you have animals you should have pipe. This will allow you to put your time to other things. All different sizes and couplings.

I'll most likely shit myself

Great point on the pipe. I have a little pvc but very little. One more thing to go on the list.

Some other stuff i thought of. Hose hose clamps, pipe fittings, muffler clamps,o rings kit, rivet set, gasket material, oil for many uses.

Does NOT use a snake bit sucker kit on snake bits

Great Thread!!! I'm in the same situation as others as far as the lack of dry storage space for lumber goes so I'm more dependent on the hand tools that I have for rebuilding. I do have a good supply temporary fix materials like plastic sheeting, wire, pvc pipe, hose, plumbing fittings, clamps, fasteners and I will be scavenging for building material if need be. My first go to will be fences for 1''x6",2''X4'' and 4''x4''.
    You don't need to be the strongest
    or the most intelligent to survive
    but by having the right tools and
    the adaptability of change
    is where you will prevail.

I will add.. We are urbanites so we will be hunkered down until the dust settles.

Bacon Spam

How are all of you keeping this stuff from warping, you can't leave a 2X4 anywhere in Fl for very long and expect it to stay useable

Where's the epi?

Quote Originally Posted by rentprop1 View Post
    How are all of you keeping this stuff from warping, you can't leave a 2X4 anywhere in Fl for very long and expect it to stay useable
    You need to first keep it off of the ground by putting blocks of some sort down. Then you put your wood one layer thick on it. Next you put some 1x1's or other wooden type blocks depending on what kind of wood you are storing (sheets, planks...) and set them out in intervals perpendicular to what you are storing then put your next layer of wood on them. This allows air flow and also keeps them straight, just make sure you use enough "bracing" strips as to give your wood a good solid base for each level. That is just one way to do it. Hope I made it understandable.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Katrina View Post
    Oh yes and DH is having fits about the plywood, screws, nails etc. I keep around. He just has to clean out and organize the garage better, tee hee. I also want to keep the waterbed mattress now that we have the regular bed. Don't know what for yet but it may come in handy (Oh, Oh, pack-ratitis is striking again)
    You can always build a platform for it and create an outdoor shower. Of course you wouldn't want to fill it all the way up because of the weight but you could get quite a bit of water it in and let it heat for a hot shower when needed. Gravity fed but better than nothing.
    I apologize for nothing...

I'll most likely shit myself

I used to work for a company that mail ordered wood working supplies, including lumber. We had 4 homemade drying kiln's. We would load them with green lumber using the same technique LadyHK described. We would start with 8" cinder blocks across the kiln (which was 4' wide x 7' high x 24' long) and place them every 2', put down a layer of wood, 4' sticker (1x1/2" wood strip), layer of wood and so on till we had it full. It took about 3-4 weeks to get the moisture content below 8-10%.

The same technique will work with wood stored either inside or under a shed. Even outside with the stack covered by sheets of tin.

Here is a thread I started showing some pics of a storage rack I made for lumber. Same spacing, but it stores it up the wall and takes up less floor space in the shop.

http://www.shtfready.com/threads/120...ht=Lumber+rack

Walking on Sunshine

lady ,
    That's an idea. I'll have to ponder a bit more on this. Thanks.

A laugh a minute
    Twin the waterbed thing does work. That was the first shower we used when I was in the jungle. It was a twin matteress on a platform with a hose and showerhead attacted, with a cut off valve
    I am me,
    I am free,
    You can not change me.

If you try, you will see,
    That I am unchangeable,
    Because I am me.

Quote Originally Posted by rentprop1 View Post
    I will add. I'm having a hard time finding good dry lumber here in Florida. What I've learned is to stay away from buying from places that you can see that they store they're bunks (large pallets) unprotected out side. I think what RP is saying falls under ether kiln dried lumber that is poorly dried or has been rehydrated by rain or high humidity when it's stacked and banded. What happens is they bring it in the store and remove the bands and for awhile it's all nice and straight until it starts to dry out again even after you have bought it and have it nicely stacked or even used it for a build. When it dries it will twist, cup or crown (bow) badly. So... Pick your lumber carefully.
    Last edited by Evolver; 08-04-2012 at 09:40 PM.