Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Money Matters and Prepping

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Money Matters and Prepping

There are two ways to go about prepping.

1) Spend $4,593,087.37 out of your checking account to buy everything you'll ever need all in one gigantic shopping spree.

2) What the rest of us do. Buy a little here and there.

Debt: Debt is a huge cancer that eats up money that can otherwise be funneled into prepping. There are a million resources for getting your finances in order. If you have out-of-control debt focus on getting rid of it as a priority over pepping.

Start small: Don't try to buy everything in big hunks. Just buy a little here and there. Especially if you are buying something in bulk or is a big ticket item. Best to ease into it, realize you don't like it/it's not right for you and then drive on. Much better than investing a couple hundred bucks into a pail of dehydrated squash only to find out you can't stand the taste of it.

Re-use items around the house: Got an old backpack from high-school that's been collecting dust? Instant BOB that costs you $0.00. Much better than the $300 super-duper mega bag that you aren't even sure is right for you.

Resist impulse buys: This is a lesson I have to learn over and over and over and over again. I'm just impulsive and I rush into cool looking gear without really thinking it though or doing my homework. The result? A ton of wasted money and a pile of gear that either ends up in the trash, given away or just rotting in the garage.

Coupons: Hokey? Yes. A lot of work to really save money? Yes. Worth it.....definitely. Mrs. Stig saves us at least $100 per month on various items. That's another $100 that goes into our prep account.

Anyway....just some random thoughts. Other thoughts/ideas about day-to-day money issues and prepping?
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

The source of all known trouble in the universe

Random thoughts? I guess not. These are well-thought thoughts (pfff, that's a mouthful)

I'll most likely shit myself

Good post and solid info.
    One of the things I'm trying to do is perform as many task around the house as possible to save money and gain/improve my skill set. We also are attempting to raise as much of our own food (if the weather will cooperate) garden, fruits, eggs(in the next few months) to offset the rising food cost. We do the coupon thing too. Some times we have great savings sometimes not so much.
    Excellent point on watching out for the impulse buy's, that has gotten me into debt quicker than anything.
    One last thing I would bring up, keep your eyes open and look for sales on needed items, whether disp soap, beans or bullets. In these times you gotta save eerywhere you can.

NVG....totally a work deduction!

Quote Originally Posted by The Stig View Post
    Resist impulse buys: This is a lesson I have to learn over and over and over and over again. I'm just impulsive and I rush into cool looking gear without really thinking it though or doing my homework. The result? A ton of wasted money and a pile of gear that either ends up in the trash, given away or just rotting in the garage.
    I am terrible at this. Much of it is just fine, but money that would be better spent elsewhere.

Premium Member

Talk about impulse buying. The only thing that saves me is being cheap. Almost spent over $1k in ammo today online. Aafter doing a quick inventory, I decided to hold off.
    Where are you going to be when SHTF?

Wanna go camping?

I'll most likely shit myself

Quote Originally Posted by jmrdrgz View Post
    Talk about impulse buying. The only thing that saves me is being cheap. Almost spent over $1k in ammo today online. Aafter doing a quick inventory, I decided to hold off.
    A man has to know when to say when!

Claptrap's Problem Solver

Quote Originally Posted by jmrdrgz View Post
    I have found myself doing that at least a little more often lately. The website shopping cart will have the next coolest whizbang gizmo that I can't live without. Then I check my existing stock of gear and realize I have something very close to the item that can be re-purposed, or I just flat don't need the item.

Doesn't happen every time (it's hard to be a GearWhore) but I have gotten a fraction of a smidgeon better.
    If you think that come SHTF you are gonna jock up in all your kit and be a death-dealing one man army, you're an idiot - izzyscout

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

I like the new gizmos also but I have learned that is I have something that I use alot and like it then I won't second guess myself or replace that item.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

Do you have change for a canned bacon?

I know what you mean about coupons
    I bought something on Sportsmansguide.com and used a coupon that gave me $5 off shipping AND a $25 gift cart.
    So, I am just about done building a 9mm AR15 and decided I need to get optics for it. I decided on a Strikefire for this build.
    Here is where it gets cool.
    Payment Information:
    Merchandise Total: $134.97
    Shipping and Handling: $15.49
    Package Protection: $0.99
    Coupon -$5.00
    Gift Certificate -$25.00
    Grand Total: $121.45
    I used the another "$5 of shipping plus get a $25 gift card" code I found online, so I still have another $25 coming!

Resident Seafood Procurement Officer

Impulse buys are a bit of a problem for me. Gotta control that.