Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What cooking vessels do you have that would be suitable for cooking over a open fire?

This guy has "some" flashlights. Just a couple. As in, a metric-butt ton of em.

What cooking vessels do you have that would be suitable for cooking over a open fire?

In the event.....methods of cooking are going to change by the nature of the beast.....no power.....or natural gas....will mean a lot of folks will resort to the age old camp fire.

Now most cook ware will survive for a while cooking over open flame.....but a lot of the alloy pots and pans just wont hold up to the to the harshness of outdoor cooking.

The best solution that I know of is cast iron. We have many dutch ovens....large skillets...and even a griddle.

I do have a few of the sandwich presses that are actually very handy little pieces of hardware...they make a great burger....along with a waffle iron.

What do you have in your kitchen arsenal that will make the grade in the event.
    The Difference Between a Welfare State and a Totalitarian State is a Matter of Time.

Stalkercat...destroyer of donkeys, rider of horse

I've got a lot of cast iron stuff from my scouting days.

Also have a couple sets of backpacking pots
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to but not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

A laugh a minute
    Cast iron is the best think to use for open fire. we have boocoo's of it stored away just for that.
    I am me,
    I am free,
    You can not change me.

If you try, you will see,
    That I am unchangeable,
    Because I am me.

Does NOT use a snake bit sucker kit on snake bits

75% will be done on our solar oven.

More here
    http://www.shtfready.com/threads/663...ght=solar+oven

The 25% will be on small open fire.
    Last edited by Evolver; 08-08-2012 at 09:18 PM.
    You don't need to be the strongest
    or the most intelligent to survive
    but by having the right tools and
    the adaptability of change
    is where you will prevail.

I'll most likely shit myself

We have a bunch of various cast iron and are always on the lookout for more, in particular something we don't already have. I found a 12" Wok a while back. The wife uses it on the stove a lot of time. She loves it.

E, that solar cooker is on my list of stuff to build, hopefully sooner rather than later. That will be much easier on the cookware.

Does NOT use a snake bit sucker kit on snake bits

Quote Originally Posted by Evolver View Post
    75% will be done on our solar oven.

More here
    http://www.shtfready.com/threads/663...ght=solar+oven

The 25% will be on small open fire.

And with a added bonus... less smoke signature. (wink)

Queen of the Doom Room
    In addition to the Solar Oven and cookware to go with it we also have some various cast iron skillets and pans. One thing we need is a cast iron Dutch Oven. I had one years ago, passed down from my dad's mother. Perfectly seasoned. Don't ask me what I did with it. It would be too embarrassing and I'm very ashamed.

This guy has "some" flashlights. Just a couple. As in, a metric-butt ton of em.

Quote Originally Posted by JustAPrepper View Post
    In addition to the Solar Oven and cookware to go with it we also have some various cast iron skillets and pans. One thing we need is a cast iron Dutch Oven. I had one years ago, passed down from my dad's mother. Perfectly seasoned. Don't ask me what I did with it. It would be too embarrassing and I'm very ashamed.
    You can't leave it like that....spill it.....my cousin left baked spaghetti in one.....after camp....for about a year.....sauce ate the interior....I still have it....just haven't tried polishing the interior.
    The Difference Between a Welfare State and a Totalitarian State is a Matter of Time.

Queen of the Doom Room
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo2 View Post
    You can't leave it like that....spill it.....my cousin left baked spaghetti in one.....after camp....for about a year.....sauce ate the interior....I still have it....just haven't tried polishing the interior.
    Dang Echo. Alright. If you must know...

It was a monster thing, a huge kettle with a lid. Dad's parent's are from Alabama and they used to have fish fry's every Friday. This was one of the pots they used to hang over the fire to cook fish. When they got "up" in age the fish fry's stopped. During a visit I noticed it in the garage collecting cob webs. I was told I could have it so I took it, not knowing what in the world I would do with it. I was married to a different guy back then and it sat in our garage for "years". When I left and moved out I left the pot behind. I can still see the exact spot in the garage where it sat. Truth be told, it's probably still sitting in that same exact spot knowing my ex. I bet if I called him tomorrow I could go pick it up. It's not like we're on bad terms or anything.

HA! Wouldn't that be a hoot! Hey, how you doing? Haven't spoken to you in years but I bet you still have that cast iron kettle in the garage...can I come by and pick it up later?

Dont worry about shitting yourself
    We have a bunch of cast iron, from my Grandmothers house. Most was already seasoned, except the griddle, but we've long taken care of that.
    Got a small skillet, large skillet, dutch oven, griddle, maybe more.
    Might get still more.
    Got plenty of heavy gauge stainless steel as well.

Don't use any alloy pots. Used to, but they oxidize and it gets in the food and makes it taste weird. Might still be a couple buried down in the corner cabinet, but I'm not sure.

A solar oven would be nice.