Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Small amount of cash put away.

Damn the propane, save the bacon!

Small amount of cash put away.

This is not a big thing until the power goes out. I keep a couple hundred put away in small bills, $50.00 in $5.00s and $150.00 in $10.00s. This could be used at these little mom and pops stores (I say that cause near me the old couple live upstairs) you would offer $5.00 for a gallon of milk if your family needed it. Of course like me, most of us here should have powdered milk on hand, the milk is just a quick example.
    Be ready now, you won't have that chance later.

The source of all known trouble in the universe

If I may swing out of subject for a second: Powdered Milk? Card box, subject to close humidity? I prefer Condensed Milk in cans.

As far as the cash is concerned, I always keep some in the safe.

Staff

Most powdered milk comes in pouches in a box,however it must be used once opened,but I have some in the #10 cans from EE.
    Cash in the safe is a must as far as I'm concerned,you just never know in these times.

BTW, the cash is in small bills, no bigger than $20's and a few rolls of Quarters.

Premium Member

I like to keep around $500 in cash, all in 20's, I also have about 2 rolls worth of quarters.

I'll most likely shit myself

The wife and I both try and keep $200 or so on hand. I also save all our change and made the decision to start holding $500 in change back along with some cash here at the house. The way the banks pay interest now days, you might as well keep all your cash on hand.

Premium Member

We keep some mad money at home, ones and fives, and have a change jar. Also have some silver, but with the price of silver today, it is tempting to sell and buy some more preps.

And I agree about the low rates from the bank, it's crazy.

Cheri

I still need banks, so there are still some there, but I have cash on hands right now, thinking about replacing it by metals.

I'll most likely shit myself

RJ I still use the banks as well, credit union's in our case but pretty much the same thing. It's hard to get by without a checkin account either for on-line banking, bill pay, whatever. I just think it prudent to have plenty on hand or stashed at home for emergencies, another banking holiday, or whatever may come.
    When we travel I tend to use my debit account for fuel, food, lodging, whatever. That said, we never take off without a decent amount of cash on hand, just for emergencies.

Premium Member

Quote Originally Posted by RedJohn View Post
    I still need banks, so there are still some there, but I have cash on hands right now, thinking about replacing it by metals.
    That's not a bad idea. Just don't replace it all with metals.

Have you thought about investing in other things like storable foods, ammo, fuel, generators, camping essentials or anything else you think you might need in your stuation.

SOME of these things will go up in value as well do to inflation and demand. You might not be able to trade metals for food or electric power in a shtf situation, but your food and power will be worth a lot more then it is today.
    Where are you going to be when SHTF?

Wanna go camping?