Page 115 of 389 FirstFirst ... 1565105113114115116117125165215 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,150 of 3889

Thread: What have you done to prep this week?

Queen of the Doom Room
    Evolver and I went shopping today to top off the new deep freeze. With what we already had and today's purchases it's getting pretty full!

27.5# chicken thighs
    7.5# chicken wings
    10# b/s chicken breast - plus grabbed the 11 pounds I had stuck in Single Guy Next Door's freezer
    10# ground turkey
    13.5# bone-in (assorted) chops
    2 slabs spare ribs
    4 packages Ballpark Beef dogs
    6# Bacon
    6# Jimmy Dean Sausage
    8 pounds block cheese
    2# lunchmeat

For the first time I found old fashioned Popcorn at BJ's today. 5 pound jugs for $8.99. I thought that was pretty expensive but I haven't had old fashioned popcorn since I was a kid so I have no idea what the going rate would be. At any rate, it was cheaper than the microwave stuff and it's only going to get more expensive so I grabbed two jugs.

Also grabbed a large bag of Dried/Pitted Dates and some canned tomato sauce for the pantry as well as a few other odds and ends.

stark assed naked and butt to nut with no issues
    Worked a lot of overtime. . . does that count?
    RELIGION IS LIKE A PENIS
    Its fine to have one,
    Its fine to be proud of it,
    But please dont whip it out in public and start waving it around,
    And PLEASE dont try to force it down my children's throats.

An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.

Thinks it might be German

Quote Originally Posted by Stormfeather View Post
    Worked a lot of overtime. . . does that count?
    It does in my book.

I had an Echo2 moment last Friday. (That's when you're in the right place at the right time, and good stuff falls into your possession out of the blue for no cost or reason.)
    A colleague put out an email that her husband was cleaning out the garage and had a Dyna-glo kerosene heater he wanted gone. I already have one, but thought a second could be a really good idea. "I'll take it" I replied quickly, hoping no one had beat me to it. She brought it in to the office yesterday. Looks brand new....AND..... came with two full 5 gallon "blue jugs" of kerosene!!!!!...... For free!!!! Yay me!
    The 12 Gauge... It's not just for rabbits anymore.

I have still yet to grow a brain
    Finally setup my first Aquaponic bin. I made it from a food grade 55gal barrel, I cut off the top 1/3 of the barrel turned it over filled it with clay marbles and installed a bell siphon in it. I placed it on the corner of my small pond ~300 gallon. The water is pumped from the pond into the container and it will fill in about 15 min. Then the Bell Siphon activates and empties the container in 3 min. The goldfish hang under the drain spout when it empties.

We just planted the container with cantaloupe, tomato, jalapeno, oregano and chive cuttings that I was growing in a hydroponic bed.

Still digging on the main pond. Ground is rocky and clay packed. In my digging I have actually found couple pieces of petrified wood. Well going out when the weather cools down a bit for more digging.

What are your thoughts on this? Renting a rototiller to finish up the digging? Cant fit any small sized power equipment tween the fence and the house. But this is taking a long time...

Does NOT use a snake bit sucker kit on snake bits

Quote Originally Posted by Vodin View Post
    Finally setup my first Aquaponic bin. I made it from a food grade 55gal barrel, I cut off the top 1/3 of the barrel turned it over filled it with clay marbles and installed a bell siphon in it. I placed it on the corner of my small pond ~300 gallon. The water is pumped from the pond into the container and it will fill in about 15 min. Then the Bell Siphon activates and empties the container in 3 min. The goldfish hang under the drain spout when it empties.

We just planted the container with cantaloupe, tomato, jalapeno, oregano and chive cuttings that I was growing in a hydroponic bed.

Still digging on the main pond. Ground is rocky and clay packed. In my digging I have actually found couple pieces of petrified wood. Well going out when the weather cools down a bit for more digging.

What are your thoughts on this? Renting a rototiller to finish up the digging? Cant fit any small sized power equipment tween the fence and the house. But this is taking a long time...
    You might be better off renting a ditch witch. They are better at loosening hard and rocky dirt than tillers are. Home Depot rents then too.
    You don't need to be the strongest
    or the most intelligent to survive
    but by having the right tools and
    the adaptability of change
    is where you will prevail.

A laugh a minute
    hit yard sales today. Got a lot of good deals. Metal storage drums, med. Heavy duty plastic drums, audels complete set of carpentry books, chiltons aoto manuals early 70,s, bread crates. Restaurant style hard plastic plates, audels machinist 1951 Book, diesel manual ammo reloading manual and lots more for under $35
    Last edited by Taz Baby; 08-11-2012 at 09:21 PM.
    I am me,
    I am free,
    You can not change me.

If you try, you will see,
    That I am unchangeable,
    Because I am me.

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

I spent the whole day making my son's bed into a pirate ship... Not sure this counts as prepping, or that it's seaworthy. Lol. If he doesn't start to sleep in his own bed, I'm gonna do something that triggers SHTF. So, maybe I was prepping for my sanity.
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.

Queen of the Doom Room
    I spent half the day pounding 82.5 pounds of sugar.

Evolver has been laid up with is back the past few days and I needed to get in the Doom Room and do some reorganization since we put the small deep freeze in there. Apparently we put 02 Absorbers in some of our very first bags of sugar...5, 16.5 bags to start. I was able to get them out of their buckets but they were solid, bucket shaped bricks. In order to get them flat enough to fit in the deep freeze I had to carefully, but forcefully pound them flat enough to fit in the freezer without busting the mylar. Thankfully I keep a rubber mallet in the Doom Room...it's what I use to pound lids back in place as I rotate through things. The remaining sugar was apparently packed without the 02's (thankfully!!) and was easily moved to the deep freeze. Then I measured out and mylared 45 pounds of flour and got it in the deep freeze and vac sealed 15 pounds of pasta. I'll probably mylar the pasta next weekend.

A laugh a minute
    lol yes that does count in my book. How how is he? I have 2 boys and when they were around 3 to 5, I put a big box in the middle of their bedroom and made it the bed. They decorated it with what ever they wanted and slept in it. Of course they didn't start wanting to sleep with us until they were old enough to hear about the boogie monster from their cousin.
    I am me,
    I am free,
    You can not change me.

If you try, you will see,
    That I am unchangeable,
    Because I am me.

Do NOT mess with him while he's pumping gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Taz Baby View Post
    lol yes that does count in my book. How how is he? I have 2 boys and when they were around 3 to 5, I put a big box in the middle of their bedroom and made it the bed. They decorated it with what ever they wanted and slept in it. Of course they didn't start wanting to sleep with us until they were old enough to hear about the boogie monster from their cousin.

He's 2 1/2. Would it have freaked y'all out if I said he was 17? Lol
    Common sense is so rare these days, it should be re-classified as a super power.