Page 147 of 389 FirstFirst ... 4797137145146147148149157197247 ... LastLast
Results 1,461 to 1,470 of 3889

Thread: What have you done to prep this week?

GunnerMax
    I got a 2011 Rand McNally Road Atlas. Itll help for when GPS doesnt work, or when I dont want any GPS following me.

We finally got our shed painted. Yes, that is a 30lb dumbbell holding the door shut, lol, I don't have the hardware on there yet. And yes, on the north side doorway there, we need to order the track and rollers for the sliding door. You can't see from the picture, but off the back side of the shed is another lean-to that fits about 125 square bales of hay. This project has drug out forever, ya know the drill, 3x as long and 2x as expensive as planned. But, we completely re-roofed the entire thing, and added the hay section to it, rebuild the doors, put down new floors inside, new trim outside, replaced some of the outer wall.....it's a process. It's amazing that the weather down here has held long enough to paint outside, but praise God, it has.

And as far as the "other" comments...well, to be perfectly frank, *I* screwed up my first marriage and hopefully learned my lesson this time around. Someone introduced me to the completely foreign idea that MEN need unconditional RESPECT and WOMEN need unconditional LOVE. Sounds simple, but as you can't give the other person what YOU need, you have to give them what THEY need. So, I try to unconditionally respect my husband (heck yeah I fail), as the head of our home and our family, and in return, the man freakin' adores me. I am the most spoiled women I know! We all have our moments, but on the whole, the more respectfully I treat him, the more lovingly he treats me, the more I want to respect him, the more he wants to love me....it works out well! This spills over into everyday life things, even prepping, because guess what, every time he steps into a Dollar store, Walmart or grocery store, he is bringing me home some preps, even if it's just $5 worth of canned goods or spices, because he knows prepping is very important to me, so he does it without my asking. It beats the hell outta fighting about every blessed thing!

Give him a home, where the buffalo roam, and they make "wood" for his cookin fires all day
    Quote Originally Posted by 4suchatimeasthis View Post

We finally got our shed painted. Yes, that is a 30lb dumbbell holding the door shut, lol, I don't have the hardware on there yet. And yes, on the north side doorway there, we need to order the track and rollers for the sliding door. You can't see from the picture, but off the back side of the shed is another lean-to that fits about 125 square bales of hay. This project has drug out forever, ya know the drill, 3x as long and 2x as expensive as planned. But, we completely re-roofed the entire thing, and added the hay section to it, rebuild the doors, put down new floors inside, new trim outside, replaced some of the outer wall.....it's a process. It's amazing that the weather down here has held long enough to paint outside, but praise God, it has.

And as far as the "other" comments...well, to be perfectly frank, *I* screwed up my first marriage and hopefully learned my lesson this time around. Someone introduced me to the completely foreign idea that MEN need unconditional RESPECT and WOMEN need unconditional LOVE. Sounds simple, but as you can't give the other person what YOU need, you have to give them what THEY need. So, I try to unconditionally respect my husband (heck yeah I fail), as the head of our home and our family, and in return, the man freakin' adores me. I am the most spoiled women I know! We all have our moments, but on the whole, the more respectfully I treat him, the more lovingly he treats me, the more I want to respect him, the more he wants to love me....it works out well! This spills over into everyday life things, even prepping, because guess what, every time he steps into a Dollar store, Walmart or grocery store, he is bringing me home some preps, even if it's just $5 worth of canned goods or spices, because he knows prepping is very important to me, so he does it without my asking. It beats the hell outta fighting about every blessed thing!
    AMEN!

I'll most likely shit myself

Great lookin barn. Reminds me of my grandpas old barn. He always kept his painted red. You dont see than much anymore.

I agree with you, in that is so much eaiser workibg together than pulling agaoinst each other.

Thanks Backpacker. There is talk between my hubby and FIL that they will teach the boy (my 14 y.o. stepson) the joys of hanging drywall in the spring, finish the upstairs of the shed, put in an ac window unit, drag a couch up there, and the old tv....hubby was even looking on craigslist for a mini fridge, to make that their "man cave", lol. I say, have at it! Play the video games out there, or whatever, drink beer and play darts. Fine by me! Our big chest freezer is out there, and my stash of cases and cases, and cases canning jars (and boxes and boxes of lids), the rest they can do as they please.

What have you done to prep this week?

I got myself a compass and a scouting book. Going to learn some orienteering with my kids.

Going to use what I learned from the make a spear thread and get my kids to make themselves some walking sticks.
    The future belongs to those who prepare for it.
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

The only time one should “fight fair” is when one is engaged in play.

I have a confession. I haven't been doing well since October, and haven't done any sort of prepping that I can think of since my last post on this thread. Not only that, but my estimates for supplies have proven to be wildly inaccurate, especially my pet food stores. It is back to the drawing board. But it is better to find this out now rather than later. On the plus side, I did finally manage to get the basement cleaned up. I still worry about being crushed by junk if a tornado hits, but at least I will be buried with organized junk.

I have a confession. I haven't been doing well since October, and haven't done any sort of prepping that I can think of since my last post on this thread. Not only that, but my estimates for supplies have proven to be wildly inaccurate, especially my pet food stores. It is back to the drawing board. But it is better to find this out now rather than later. On the plus side, I did finally manage to get the basement cleaned up. I still worry about being crushed by junk if a tornado hits, but at least I will be buried with organized junk.
    Hey, organizing counts in my book! What good is it to buy more and more stuff if you can't find it in all the mess?! Call it "taking inventory"!

prepguide
    Inventory IMO is one of the cornerstones of our lifestyle. A phrase I coined and use very often is "You don't know what you need until you know what you have" and I believe that. So keep the faith and don't be down on yourself.

Crotch Rocket

I'm another proponent of inventory and organization counting, as I've said before:
    I think the threshold for "too much" (of anything, really) is reached when one can no longer effectively organize, store, or protect their supplies/ equipment. We're already in the minority for stockpiling anything at all, so a set amount of "x" shouldn't concern us anywhere near as much as our ability to locate, access, and utilize (through our own skills or those of others) the materials we do have. Imo, caching allows us to multiply those abilities to a great extent, and breaks the amounts at any one location down so we can protect ourselves from "too much" loss . I can't say I'm a great practitioner of this yet, but I have worked it to some degree, and will expand in line with my resources over time.
    http://www.shtfready.com/threads/380...ull=1#post4255
    Consilio et animis

Essayons!